Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

6 speed derailer works for 7 speed or no?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

6 speed derailer works for 7 speed or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 11:19 PM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
6 speed derailleur works for 7 speed or no?

Hello i am confused RD-TZ500-GS listed as 6 speed, but on website say 7 speed also okay?

Will this derailleur work on 7 speed cog?
Old 05-24-21, 11:30 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
do you know what the high and low limit adjuster screws on a derailleur are and do?
Old 05-24-21, 11:46 PM
PimpMan

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
do you know what the high and low limit adjuster screws on a derailleur are and do?
Yeah i know what limiter screws doing.

In my understanding 6 speed derailleur body has less travel than 7 speed so screws might not do the trick.

besides marketing why they even making different derailleur version 6, 6/7, 7/8 speed they might as well just make one 8 speed derailleur just limit movement with screws this would remove all the compatibility issues.
Old 05-25-21, 12:32 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by PimpMan
Yeah i know what limiter screws doing.

In my understanding 6 speed derailleur body has less travel than 7 speed so screws might not do the trick.

besides marketing why they even making different derailleur version 6, 6/7, 7/8 speed they might as well just make one 8 speed derailleur just limit movement with screws this would remove all the compatibility issues.
man, you're probably right. so, why don't you just buy an 8spd derailleur and be done with it?
Old 05-25-21, 12:50 AM
PimpMan

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
man, you're probably right. so, why don't you just buy an 8spd derailleur and be done with it?
seven speed is $6 more than six speed...
Old 05-25-21, 04:53 AM
dwsmartins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Browse through https://si.shimano.com/ for the compatibility charts and you’ll find this.

Clip from 6s and 7s rear drivetrain compatibility

As can be seen, most of the rear derailleur for 7s can be used for 6s. A tiny number can only be used on 6s. If you navigate there, you’ll find some can even be used on 8s. The boundary isn’t a wall.
Likes For dwsmartins:
Old 05-25-21, 04:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Hello i am confused RD-TZ500-GS listed as 6 speed, but on website say 7 speed also okay?

Will this derailleur work on 7 speed cog?
If I'm not mistaken, it stays right on that Shimano website that the derailleur is compatible with both 6- and 7-speed indexing systems. Having interchanged many 6- and 7-speed derailleurs in the past, and given Shimano themselves say it's okay, I'm almost 100% certain that it'll work.

Old 05-25-21, 09:38 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I Haven’t tried your exact RD, but I’d assume it will work fine. I’ve used an old Shimano 600 in a 10-speed rear with no issues wrt Sideways reach.
Old 05-25-21, 10:56 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

seven speed is $6 more than six speed...
that tourney derailleur will handle up to 7spds without a doubt. i have a tourney derailleur that's the predecessor model to the one you're looking at. it came with the bike to shift a 7spd freewheel. but, i've seen them on other bikes before with 6spd freewheels. i don't know what you're financial restraints are, so in the interest of going budget there's the model you're looking at going for $17 on ebay right now. that's pretty cheap, man. and, hopefully it performs better than the one i have. it does looks like a better design and gets 4 out of 5 ratings on amazon
Old 05-26-21, 01:05 PM
ifixbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unless I missed it, isn’t the real point of this question to ensure that your shifter matches your rear cassette?

No matter how much you finesse it a six speed shifter will (almost) never work perfectly on a seven speed rear gear set. Nor will a seven speed shifter work perfectly on a six speed cassette/freewheel.

Yes all derailers have limits for their range but that range usually relates to the largest gear sizing. So first and foremost, are you using a seven speed shifter with a seven speed gear?
Old 05-27-21, 07:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The Tourney stuff was developed by Shimano as a 7-speed groupset. It is now being cross marketed into the 6-speed slot to broaden its usefulness and market. It's backward compatible for sure. The real question, if the OP is indexing (maybe not), is whether the shifters are compatible with the derailleur and the rear cog spacing.
Old 05-27-21, 08:36 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by ifixbikes
Unless I missed it, isn’t the real point of this question to ensure that your shifter matches your rear cassette?

No matter how much you finesse it a six speed shifter will (almost) never work perfectly on a seven speed rear gear set. Nor will a seven speed shifter work perfectly on a six speed cassette/freewheel.

Yes all derailers have limits for their range but that range usually relates to the largest gear sizing. So first and foremost, are you using a seven speed shifter with a seven speed gear?
Perfectly? Not even close. But the pull rate on all recent Shimano 7-9 speed MTB and 8-10 speed Road (except Tiagra 4700) is identical. Match the shifter to your cassette and the derailleur to your budget and gearing range.