Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kool-Stop Fit Issues: Rod brake + John Bull pads undersized

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kool-Stop Fit Issues: Rod brake + John Bull pads undersized

Old 08-10-21, 01:53 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Not at all as complicated as is being speculated. I simply pried one end open and installed the pad. No mods to the pad, no reshaping of the radius of the holder. I opened it up and slid the new pad in. Left one end open for future removal/installation ease. Besides, none of this says anything to the obvious fit differences between other pads and holders and mine. Kool Stop = fits my holders/is loose in others. The John Bull situation may or may not be the same. Who knows?
Old 08-10-21, 03:04 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Not at all as complicated as is being speculated. I simply pried one end open and installed the pad. No mods to the pad, no reshaping of the radius of the holder. I opened it up and slid the new pad in. Left one end open for future removal/installation ease. Besides, none of this says anything to the obvious fit differences between other pads and holders and mine. Kool Stop = fits my holders/is loose in others. The John Bull situation may or may not be the same. Who knows?
Thing is, the "open" end of your holder is domed over a lot more than I expect of a stock holder. Look at @PilotFishBob's holders as an example. That's what I've found on every other mid-1970's DL-1 I've come across (save for the late 1970's closed-end variant), and it's nowhere near as rounded off. I'd even venture to say the ends on your holders were domed over prior to your ownership. Not trying to pick an argument here, but that's just what I'm seeing in the pictures.

Personally, I'd like to know. The whole automobile aftermarket industry is full of stuff that's supposed to fit old cars and doesn't, and it continues because there's not enough coordinated objections (or returns) when fit issues arise. Worse yet if you're a newcomer and haven't had the benefit of talking to someone who can keep you from these pitfalls. Good repops aren't going to happen if one doesn't aim for them. Nor is there any incentive for K-S (or others) to try to improve on them if there aren't discussions about fit issues when said issues arise.

Plus, I'm sick of soaking old NOS pads in wintergreen and alcohol to make them soft again and relying on these ancient refurbed pads to stop me.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-10-21 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-10-21, 03:50 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Somehow there is an expectation that stamped metal can hold a tight tolerance between parts.
There also seems to be an expectation that specifications stay the same over decades.
Then there is an assumption that a sample size of 2 is significant.
And of course, my personal favorite, armchair quarterbacking on how to run a business.

While I haven't received the parts yet, Mauricio is sending me a bunch of repop stuff. As best as I can tell, he is just some guy selling the repops that interest him out of his garage. Definitely not his day job. Perhaps he is a better model in doing something instead of talking about something. Here is a link to the stuff he sells.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bellav...57624731517766
Old 08-10-21, 05:04 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
iab ain't wrong. We're talking about stamped sheet metal and a difference of a half a millimeter between the old and new pads. Just pinch it. If I'm Kool Stop this thread changes nothing, and if they are the only pad game in town, then they are the new spec.

And here is a fairly recent thread touching on the subject. No complaints about Kool Stop's fit.

As far as the JB pads, some careful work with some wood, a chisel, a vice, and a soft face hammer could reshape those holders. Or, grab a sheet of wear resistant rubber and make as many pads as you want.
Old 08-10-21, 07:10 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by iab
Somehow there is an expectation that stamped metal can hold a tight tolerance between parts.
Which is why I've found pads generally err on the fatter side, requiring holders to be gently pried open for removal and reinstallation - not thinner than expected.

Originally Posted by iab
There also seems to be an expectation that specifications stay the same over decades.
For many applications, yes. But John Bull 25's are usually the same, and if there's a running change in the overall cross section of Raleigh Industries and Tube Investments rod brake pad holders, I haven't read about it yet.

Plus, most dry old NOS pads I've come across do tend to fit right on the John Bulls. Say what you want about the rod brake holders and their tolerances, I've seen enough of the John Bulls to be certain that these new pads aren't going to work, regardless of how much pinching goes on.

Originally Posted by iab
Then there is an assumption that a sample size of 2 is significant.

And of course, my personal favorite, armchair quarterbacking on how to run a business.
That's why I'm here. I wanted to hear from people like @PilotFishBob and @BFisher who have either had experience with the new pads, or have examples of the holders.

I'm not so sure this thread needed to hear from an armchair quarterback who's yet to increase the aforementioned sample size.

iab ain't wrong. We're talking about stamped sheet metal and a difference of a half a millimeter between the old and new pads. Just pinch it. If I'm Kool Stop this thread changes nothing, and if they are the only pad game in town, then they are the new spec.
If I had a pair of mid-1970's holders at the moment that I didn't really care about, I'd give the old pinch a try. But I'm not about to damage the enamel on the wartime holders by overpinching them.

Either way, I don't accept this variance as the "new spec."

Or, grab a sheet of wear resistant rubber and make as many pads as you want.
Tempting.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-10-21 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-11-21, 08:45 AM
iab

Originally Posted by cudak888
Either way, I don't accept this variance as the "new spec."
I'm sure obstinance will work out for you. Let us know when it does.

btw, I'm not armchairing at all. But it's not surprising you haven't figured that out either.
Old 08-11-21, 08:54 AM
iab

Oh. Go to the hardware store. Buy a piece of aluminum tubing. Cut to size. Slit. Put on Kool-Stop pad. And Bob's yer ******g uncle. ferchristsakes.
Old 08-11-21, 09:21 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by iab
I'm sure obstinance will work out for you. Let us know when it does.

btw, I'm not armchairing at all. But it's not surprising you haven't figured that out either.
Both seem to work pretty well for you.

Originally Posted by iab
Oh. Go to the hardware store. Buy a piece of aluminum tubing. Cut to size. Slit. Put on Kool-Stop pad. And Bob's yer ******g uncle. ferchristsakes.
That's a great idea - a brake pad and holder that has no mount to fit to a stirrup

By the way, your Cinelli Model B. would work a lot better with a Shimano drop parallelogram derailer instead of the Gran Sport, and some Wald fenders would make it a lot more practical.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 08-11-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-11-21, 09:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
That sounds like dangerous hackery that I wouldn't have on one of my bikes. I don't understand your obsession with this thread, but you need to stop posting in it since trolling is against forum rules.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-11-21, 01:10 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Enough. Please leave this thread. Thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind: