Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Vs Sram? Thoughts and experiences?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Vs Sram? Thoughts and experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 09:29 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by LSUFANDAN
I have a Diverge with shimano grx 810 and a Tarmac with SRAM Rival eTap AXS. I like the sram setup overall better but agree with everyone else when I say the shimano brakes are better.
While I like GRX to an extent I am also running mechanical (albeit 2x) and if I had to choose between Rival eTap AXS and mechanical 1x grx... I'd also choose SRAM.

I'd be on Di2 GRX but I couldn't get parts and haven't been able to for 2 years now.

So, IMHO, some of this discussion on this thread is kind of pointless: at this point ride what you can find. They are all quality (enough) to put a huge smile on your face.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-20-21, 09:33 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by colombo357
<snip> a SRAM employee kicked my dog, <snip>

BTW - the shear odds of that happening, a SRAM employee kicking your dog vs a Shimano employee kicking your dog, are infinitely higher just from the fact that in 30+ years I have met piles of SRAM employees and only 6 Shimano employees. ...and with those 6 Shimano employees Wayne Stetina counted as 5 of them. I don't know Wayne personally but he doesn't strike me as the dog kicking type.

Old 08-20-21, 11:21 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I have zero experience with electronic groupsets, but in the days of mechanical I always felt that Shimano was more "refined" but SRAM had more "bang" to it, in that it felt like it got it done quicker/"more sharply."

Old 08-20-21, 11:23 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I wish Campagnolo still had a decent supply chain, availability and acceptance but they absolutely lost that war by orders of magnitude in the last decade.
That's my impression back in 1989 when I used my college student loan money to buy my first real racing bike, Eddy Merckx Corsa SL with C-Record and Chorus mix (wish I still had it). I was at Davis so it's a not a shy spot for cycling. I also remember it was equally rare in my home town, Palo Alto (bikes, home of Avocet) and other big player around there (I part-timed at both Garner's Pro Bike Shop & Chain Reactions Bicycle in Redwood City). Maybe it's an East and West coast thing? Also I basically ignored the 90s and didn't jump back on my bike until 2014ish after 1994. Did they have a revival in between?

I would like to try SRAM double tap but the closest I have is Sensah and I have to say I like it more than my Shimano 6800 & 9000. I like the instantaneous response of the shift as opposed to delayed of the Shimano (shift after release of lever). Haven't tried Di2 but love my SRAM eTap. A bit disconcerting to read the replacement part issue in black and white with eTap but I kind of guess it was the case when I was sourcing for a new bike three years ago.
Old 08-20-21, 11:33 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by kcjc
That's my impression back in 1989 when I used my college student loan money to buy my first real racing bike, Eddy Merckx Corsa SL with C-Record and Chorus mix (wish I still had it). I was at Davis so it's a not a shy spot for cycling. I also remember it was equally rare in my home town, Palo Alto (bikes, home of Avocet) and other big player around there (I part-timed at both Garner's Pro Bike Shop & Chain Reactions Bicycle in Redwood City). Maybe it's an East and West coast thing? Also I basically ignored the 90s and didn't jump back on my bike until 2014ish after 1994. Did they have a revival in between?

I would like to try SRAM double tap but the closest I have is Sensah and I have to say I like it more than my Shimano 6800 & 9000. I like the instantaneous response of the shift as opposed to delayed of the Shimano (shift after release of lever). Haven't tried Di2 but love my SRAM eTap. A bit disconcerting to read the replacement part issue in black and white with eTap but I kind of guess it was the case when I was sourcing for a new bike three years ago.
They had good availability and were on enough bikes that it wasn't completely out of place to see a campy setup up through about 2013 or so. I used to commonly be asked for Campy freehub bodies on wheels we sold/built. Now it hardly ever happens.

Strange thing though: I have sold more campy freehub bodies this year than I have in the previous 5 or so. It is because there are some campy riders out there just trying to keep their rim brake setup going and figured they would order up nice wheelsets because there are no parts available for them to switch over to SRAM/Shimano and/or disc brake. *shrug*

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 08-20-21, 11:47 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
As a bike wrench I get to deal with everything every day. I am a Campagnolo user and do not run anything by Sram or anything from Shimano aside from some old friction stuff on my touring bike. Consider my opinions unbiased as my preference is Campagnolo.

The only really good thing that Sram does is wireless shifting. It is superb. Mechanical shifting Sram works well, however it is very picky about set up, wear, and dirt. Their hydro brakes pretty much suck after a several seasons, especially in the dirt. Not sure why this is, but it has been my experience over and over again.
On the other hand Shimano electronic shifting works well enough, but is a PIA to set up when compared to Sram wireless (why can't they all be this sensible?) The connectors on Shimano electronics sometimes spoil the party, and there is a slight disadvantage of a central battery when the juice runs out.
Shimano hydro brakes are very good and rarely present problems to me at the shop. By a long shot they are superior to Sram. Shimano mechanical shifting is a standard everyone lives up to and one cannot go wrong with it. Without question it is more forgiving of wear and dirt than Sram, and sets up quicker as it is less finicky.
I will take Sram wireless over anything right now, even Campagnolo (as much as it breaks my heart to admit that, sorry Tullio). I will take Shimano brakes over Sram any day of the week and without hesitation.
Thus you have my opinion. Not any more or less valid than any other opinion expressed on this thread.

Except for that thing where Shimano shift cables fray/break/get stuck 5:1 over SRAM.
Old 08-20-21, 11:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sunny days vs riding in the rain, thoughts and experiences?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-20-21, 02:36 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Ford vs Chevy
Dino vs synthetic
air cooled vs water cooled
Schrader vs Presta
Old 08-20-21, 02:47 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I’ve got SRAM on my commuter and Campagnolo on my other bike, this is my first time using SRAM and I like it a bunch especially double tap
Old 08-20-21, 02:54 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Rain has its moments. . .

Old 08-20-21, 03:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Just rain or is there lightning too?

I've become somewhat of a sissy when it comes to lightning in my older and more enlightened days. I don't do half the stupid stuff I use too. But admittedly I do still do stupid stuff.