Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Poll: your relationship to Strava going forward

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: How do you plan to use Strava going forward?
I'm going to use it for free
41.33%
I'm going to start paying
9.69%
I'm going to continue to pay
41.33%
I'm going to stop using it
7.65%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-20, 08:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

Since there's a thread going on about whether Strava's latest pricing structure will save the world or cause WW3, I thought it would be interesting to make a poll. I always thought Strava is the segment leaderboards and everything else was fluff, but that's because I hang out here. So do you, which means the changes probably affect you more than your neighbor who thinks doing five miles on a bike is an amazing feat of endurance.

Also because it's on topic, here are some other training log book and analysis options:Golden Cheetah is the most in depth, and free, but has the steepest learning curve. Garmin's Connect is free whether you use their hardware or not, and pretty feature rich but much less social than Strava. It's not convenient to use without their hardware though. I haven't used RwGPS as a log book, and the other two charge $, like Strava.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-20-20, 08:21 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Been paying for a long time and will continue to do so.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 05-20-20, 08:24 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Been paying for a long time and will continue to do so.

What he said.

"Summit Member since July 19, 2015."

I've probably eaten more money in Clif bars than I've spent on Strava.
Old 05-20-20, 08:25 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
i always liked the paid features so I paid from the getgo. Will continue to pay as there is no change in my enjoyment of the app. I have to say though, i pay for ridewithgps because of the route creation feature which i find superb over strava.
Old 05-20-20, 08:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I use Strava to get times on segments of routes such as lap times on Fiesta Island and will continue to use the free version. I use other software for performance analysis and pay for that service.
Old 05-20-20, 08:43 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I don't really care about the changes to their free service, but I've been wanting to try out live segments, so I signed up for the free two month trial. Gonna check out some of the training stuff and see if it's worth paying for after that. Mostly I just like having a place to track my mileage and gear, and seeing friends rides/runs.
Old 05-20-20, 08:50 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
I will continue to pay.

I don't care about leaderboards and segments but when I'm out on longer rides my wife likes that I use the "Beacon" feature to see where I'm at. So I will continue to pay for that.

I've always considered switching over to RidewithGPS for everything (I use it exclusively for route planning) but I have so much legacy info on Strava that I don't really want to start fresh again.
Old 05-20-20, 08:55 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Been on it since August 2015, free for a couple of years and happy to pay since then. I love Strava but just hate the muppets who have vehicle assisted KOM's and think it's funny to leave them there.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 05-20-20, 08:58 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I haven't really paid any attention to it in 2 years, so I'll continue to not use it.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-20-20, 09:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

I've always used Connect. People in here act like it's the red headed stepchild of the training log world, but I've never found it very lacking. Tells me my avg and normalized power from a ride, has all the charts and ability to overlay them or look at one in isolation, there's a power curve overall and for each ride, and training load based on HR. The performance management chart (CTL, ATL) is the one thing that's really missing. There are even segments, not very competitive, but I've always found the lap button more useful.

I'm going to continue using Strava's global heat map to find rides away from home, and I'll continue uploading rides I do that will affect the map. Otherwise, I've never really seen the point.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-20-20, 09:07 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I will continue to pay.

I don't care about leaderboards and segments but when I'm out on longer rides my wife likes that I use the "Beacon" feature to see where I'm at. So I will continue to pay for that.

I've always considered switching over to RidewithGPS for everything (I use it exclusively for route planning) but I have so much legacy info on Strava that I don't really want to start fresh again.
My wife is wanting me to sign up for the pay version for that reason. She worries about me when I ride. All the other stuff is nothing to me as I use it to keep track of the mileage on my different bikes. Is it real time and how accurate is it? Joe
Old 05-20-20, 09:26 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

I'm going to continue using Strava's global heat map to find rides away from home, and I'll continue uploading rides I do that will affect the map. Otherwise, I've never really seen the point.
I use Strava to plan a route, and share it with another rider, but not much else.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-20-20, 09:31 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by abshipp
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My wife is wanting me to sign up for the pay version for that reason. She worries about me when I ride. All the other stuff is nothing to me as I use it to keep track of the mileage on my different bikes. Is it real time and how accurate is it? Joe
Have you tried the location sharing feature in Google Maps?
Old 05-20-20, 09:34 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
No interest in Strava. Not competitive at this stage in life. More interested in exploring new areas than finding out how I did against total strangers.
Old 05-20-20, 09:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I use Strava to get times on segments of routes such as lap times on Fiesta Island and will continue to use the free version. I use other software for performance analysis and pay for that service.
+1. Will continue using the free version. I'm fine with its features.
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
No interest in Strava. Not competitive at this stage in life. More interested in exploring new areas than finding out how I did against total strangers.
But against friends, that's nice.
Old 05-20-20, 09:40 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I want to pay and in fact would really like to pay, but I won't until BT HRM works with the iPhone app again.

That is what would be the reason to pay if I could not use it with my HRM? Before they dropped HRM I paid for years, now I use the Wahoo app, but would much prefer to go back to Strava app so I could use Beacon and the other paid features. $5/mo is nothing, but is worthless if I can't use it.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-20-20, 09:51 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I’ve only used it as a secondary place to upload my rides in case somehow I lost them from garmin connect, and never was interested in segments/beacon purposes, so didn't make much sense to pay. I’ll probably stop from uploading anything now, so that I’m not a “freeloader” (tongue firmly in cheek)
Old 05-20-20, 09:53 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
I started using Strava years ago when Garmin connect went under a major redesign that I hated,
over time Garmin connect got better to the point where I don't even really look at Strava much anymore. I find stravas constantly asking me to start a "free" trial very annoying.

Garmin tracks mileage on my gear (and does it better than Strava now IMO)
Real miles vs zwift miles
Livetrack shares my location with family when I'm out riding

I do use the Strava heatmap to find places to exercise when I'm traveling, I probably shouldn't say that or they'll start charging for that too.....
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 05-20-20, 10:05 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I just started using a Garmin 530, and it has a feature that emails someone when you start a ride with a link that has your constant position on a map. It (along with my Apple Watch) has a fall detection feature that will automatically call your emergency contact. This works for me and it's all for free.
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 05-20-20, 10:23 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Where do you get a Garmin 530 for free?
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-20-20, 10:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Check out the Road ID app.

In general, how many people who have Strava, actually run strava (on their phone) while they ride?
Old 05-20-20, 10:33 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I appreciate the hard work and faith in community of:
Strava
TrainingPeaks
RidewithGPS
and I will continue to pay them for said work as I have done for years.
Things you like on the internet and don't pay for tend to either become corrupt or vanish. I think that's an entirely predictable result.
Old 05-20-20, 10:38 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I used Beacon as a convenience, not primarily as a safety tracking feature. What is did is allow my wife to see where I was so she had an estimate of when I'd be home which was very helpful in coordinating that there would be someone there with our young son. This was mainly practical for my daily commute home from work so instead of having text her I was on the way, or had a flat, etc. she could see I was in the neighborhood and she could leave home to get to her job and I'd be there in a couple minutes. Now that my son is older it is less useful, but overall it eliminated texting or calling if I was late, etc. Another rare minor benefit was if I had a mechanical and called for a pickup she already knew where I was. It is mostly real time, but there were times it was off by ~1/4mi.

Now that I am doing a lot more solo riding (not just my daily commutes, but long weekend rides) I think it would be good to have - there are times I say I'm going for a 2hr ride to the hills, but then change my mind and ride the other direction. I don't call to say I am doing a different ride, but if I had Beacon she would know.

Last edited by noisebeam; 05-20-20 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 05-20-20, 10:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
My wife worries about me too. If you have a smartphone, google maps and many other apps already let you share your location with selected contacts. When I had my crash on a bike path last year, she had just checked my location and saw I wasn't moving in a location I normally wouldn't stop in. The persons that found me called her using the ICE contacts I'd set up on my phone and told her what they knew and that help was already on the way. So she didn't have to call 911, though she was about to. Location sharing with Google Maps gives gps coordinates so you can inform any emergency response people that need to know. As well it gives a link that sets up a route that will take someone directly to that location if needed.

Since my wreck, I use a helmet with Specialized's ANGI, haven't had any false alerts yet, hopefully I won't have to find out if it works for real crashes. One in sixty-one years is enough for me.

As for the poll, there wasn't a place to say I've used both, but like RWGPS better.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-20-20 at 10:52 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-20-20, 11:04 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

In general, how many people who have Strava, actually run strava (on their phone) while they ride?
The "casuals" outnumber the enthusiasts by a large margin. There was a big freak out when the phone app stopped working with Bluetooth sensors

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.