Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What wheels? Mocking up the ol' Concorde finally

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 09:07 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts

Finally took time this morning to mock up the Concorde frame I picked up a while ago. Came with one of the Mavic compression BB's installed so I went ahead and found a Mavic Starfish crank to use on it. This morning I slapped things together for a test fit. The rest of the plan is to use a really nice Dura Ace 8 speed setup. I think the silver components match up well.

There is room it appears to use the Mavic hubbed, Mavic rimmed tubulars that come on my custom Lemond a few years back. According to the guys involved with that Lemond the wheels are old pro Team Saturn wheels. They are a nice build for sure. Anyway, I slapped those on this morning but I'm not sure if I like the look. So curious as to other's opinions. Stay with a dark wheelset or go with Silver which is what my gut is saying. Silver will mean finding another set as I don't have any extra silver Shimano compatible wheels hanging around. What I do have though is at least 4 sets of mint looking Shimano hubs to include a Dura Ace 7700 set that has marks from spokes being installed by look totally mint otherwise with not a single mark on the freehub. I wasn't going to spend any real money on this one but I am short the wheels if going silver.

Ignore the black seatpost. I'll be going with a silver one but may need to buy one of those too. The tubing on this is a mystery but I always suspected Aelle. While putting this together this morning, I did find that a 26.8 seatpost fits while a 27.2 doesn't. I think that lends credibility to this being an Aelle frame, albeit a nice one.

So, these dark grey wheels, silver ones, black ones, ?

One pic from how I've got it sitting right now. EIther a different RD will be going on this or those red pulley wheels will be coming off. They just don't go with this one.

The Noodle bars and Cinelli stem are going to stay. The black seatpost has to go for a silver one with setback as the saddle is still about an inch to far forward for my fit.
Old 11-04-20, 09:25 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
For pure aesthetics, I'd go silver. But, understanding the monetary concerns, I wouldn't bat an eye about putting miles on it with those wheels. They look good, but silver would look better.

I currently have a build in the works that I would rather have gone silver rims, but a black set made the most sense for other reasons.
Old 11-04-20, 09:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I don't think the black seat works. I would find one white or day glo green, or something that ties it in with the frame, along with going with a silver post.

The wheels are fine, I think a set of quality black anodized rims go with any color.
Old 11-04-20, 09:57 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
If it were mine - yes on silver post, black wall tires.
Otherwise, 'hot-to-trot'.
Old 11-04-20, 11:06 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 785 Posts
I find the "Starfish" doesn't go with many frames (and I have tired, believe me) but on this Concorde it looks good! Yes to sliver post and the saddle is up to your butt, I'd say, black may be OK. What bar tape are you thinking? If you used blackball tires then the black rims would be a deal-killer but OK with these gumwalls
Old 11-04-20, 11:28 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I think the black wheels go with the black of the "Concorde" lettering, and with a black saddle. Silver would look nice too, so for me either is a winner.

Lovely looking bike.
Old 11-04-20, 11:33 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
It's gorgeous.

Silver rims and a silver seatpost for me but it's a stunner as is.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 11-04-20, 06:14 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Ok, I think I have this solved after all. I had a decent Chorus 9 speed groupset on hand also. I just had some issues with getting the RD back together a while ago and put this set aside until now. Since I do have two different sets of Campagnolo Silver wheels it forced me to go ahead and fix the RD. Job done, so I mocked the bike back up with the Chorus parts. I also swapped in a silver Thomson 26.8 seatpost I had as well as a white saddle. I think this is pretty much the look I'm after with this. White cable housing and most likely white bar tape. These wheels are some Velomine handbuilts I got years ago. Open Pro rims on Miche hubs. Nothing fancy and they keep getting rotated around my different Campagnolo bikes. Now on to this one I guess. Now I can use the yellow Campagnolo bar ends and dust caps I have floating around somewhere!

Old 11-04-20, 06:18 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
The silver rims and post do look better, but imo I'd still use the gumwalls from the earlier mock up. Either way, great looking bike.
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 11-04-20, 07:10 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
The silver rims and post do look better, but imo I'd still use the gumwalls from the earlier mock up. Either way, great looking bike.
No can do... they're tubular tires.
Old 11-04-20, 07:13 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
That's what I get for staring at the pics and only skimming the text, I guess
Old 11-04-20, 08:15 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Concorde paint jobs and color schemes have always been some of my favorites. Beautiful bike as is, silver seatpost, maybe white seat, and you're better than good. Nice bike
Old 11-05-20, 05:35 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Black wheels, Gumwalls, Silver seat post, grey saddle and gray bar tape.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 11-05-20, 07:08 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
black wheels, silver post, black saddle, red tape. or purple. or pink. benotto or cloth. black cables. gumwall tires.