Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Possible Frame Swap Advice

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Possible Frame Swap Advice

Old 12-04-20, 08:09 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069
I think if this was a poll, 90% of the community would say keep the Somec.
Actually, by my count, the Somec is winning 8-0!

I'm going to sleep on it, but unless I wake up tomorrow morning to the sound of Ugo De Rosa himself knocking on my door, asking to have a coffee with me so that he can try to convince me otherwise, it looks like the Somec will get the nod.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 12-04-20, 08:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Actually, by my count, the Somec is winning 8-0!

I'm going to sleep on it, but unless I wake up tomorrow morning to the sound of Ugo De Rosa himself knocking on my door, asking to have a coffee with me so that he can try to convince me otherwise, it looks like the Somec will get the nod.
If you truly wanted a sad sink hole project, this could fit the bill but since this happens often enough without going there on purpose I can't imagine doing so.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-05-20, 07:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by brian3069
I think if this was a poll, 90% of the community would say keep the Somec.
Only because this is the internet and no one is supposed to agree, I believe it would be nearer to 98%
Old 12-07-20, 12:15 PM
coreylee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I legitimately laughed reading this thread, but I guess I'm not surprised to see you here also.

Okay, so in my defense, a crackhead in San Francisco really pulled a machete on me and slammed my bike against the ground front wheel first, putting a crease in the down tube. This kind of thing isn't uncommon in SF.

Secondly, building that bike up was a sort of pandemic passion project, and this harebrained deal kinda made sense in the moment, but is admittedly fanatical in hindsight. Still, let me know if it's not your cup of tea and I'll buy it off you. No matter what, another will pop up eventually, and I'll be collecting parts in the meantime.

Also, didn't know you were in the area. What'd really be a hilarious is if we ran in around Bushwick/Ridgewood.
Likes For coreylee:
Old 12-07-20, 03:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
OK, so the SOMEC is a 54 square.
I happen to have some 56 square frames I'm looking to get rid of....
Anyway, it's an idea. I no longer have a DeRosa, though.

A three way won't work because my smaller frame gets the short shrift. (Wait, that's not like it sounds....)
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-07-20, 03:38 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by coreylee
I legitimately laughed reading this thread, but I guess I'm not surprised to see you here also.

Okay, so in my defense, a crackhead in San Francisco really pulled a machete on me and slammed my bike against the ground front wheel first, putting a crease in the down tube. This kind of thing isn't uncommon in SF.

Secondly, building that bike up was a sort of pandemic passion project, and this harebrained deal kinda made sense in the moment, but is admittedly fanatical in hindsight. Still, let me know if it's not your cup of tea and I'll buy it off you. No matter what, another will pop up eventually, and I'll be collecting parts in the meantime.

Also, didn't know you were in the area. What'd really be a hilarious is if we ran in around Bushwick/Ridgewood.
Ha, good to see you here. I was just about to email you, but I guess things have come full circle now.

I really did/do feel bad after seeing how passionate you were about that frame. As promised, if it doesn't work out for me I will definitely let you know. In the meantime, what is your ideal size? Is it a 54, or were you just going to make that work? I have a 56 (or maybe it's a 57) Bianchi Campione D'Italia that I have been thinking about moving along.

As for Brooklyn, I rarely venture south of Greenpoint unless it's for something specific (and even then that's usually just to show up some carbon bike dudes over the Pulaski bridge). I prefer the stuff to the North into and around Astoria.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 12-07-20, 04:39 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Get a bigger seatpost and stem! That Somec is gorgeous!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 12-07-20, 05:50 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 138 Posts
Ok, let's try to get some pics going, just for the sake of it. Starting with the De Rosa:

I could be wrong but I don't think that the De Rosa is EL-OS, it's EL. The EL-OS sticker should have the words Over Size in red on either side of the Columbus Dove. EL is not nearly as regarded as EL-OS.

The Bicycle Info Project :: Columbus tubing chart
Old 12-07-20, 06:04 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by Choke
I could be wrong but I don't think that the De Rosa is EL-OS, it's EL. The EL-OS sticker should have the words Over Size in red on either side of the Columbus Dove. EL is not nearly as regarded as EL-OS.
The Bicycle Info Project :: Columbus tubing chart
Yes, I've heard that the EL-OS is usually preferable to the standard EL, but I've also heard that a lot of EL-OS bikes came with regular Columbus EL decals until the specific EL-OS decals were available.
Old 12-07-20, 06:05 PM
coreylee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the meantime, what is your ideal size? Is it a 54, or were you just going to make that work? I have a 56 (or maybe it's a 57) Bianchi Campione D'Italia that I have been thinking about moving along.
I can manage a 54 to 56, but it's all good. I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens. I feel like if I buy something else I'm going to regret it.

As for Brooklyn, I rarely venture south of Greenpoint unless it's for something specific (and even then that's usually just to show up some carbon bike dudes over the Pulaski bridge). I prefer the stuff to the North into and around Astoria.
I've ridden around where you're talking about before and I like it. There's much less to worry about on the road. I noticed a lot more cyclists up there too. How's the scene?
Old 12-07-20, 07:27 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by coreylee
I've ridden around where you're talking about before and I like it. There's much less to worry about on the road. I noticed a lot more cyclists up there too. How's the scene?
Not so sure about the scene, as I'm almost always riding alone, but Vernon blvd is nice once you get past the main strip in LIC (going North). You get long stretches of road between lights, which is definitely rare in that part of the city. Plus, the bike lane is decent and usually not crowded, and you can also ride in the street with few issues.
Old 12-09-20, 12:15 AM
coreylee

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, long blocks and hill climbs are kinda hard to come by out here. Fortunately, there's a lot to explore and I can always get a climb in on the bridges.