Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Glasses. Where do I even start?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-29-20, 12:02 AM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

So I’ve been riding with a pair of Maui Jim’s since I started cycling. I feel like it’s time to get a pair of cycling glasses. I’m really not into the huge Oakley style of glasses and would love something more subtle and less loud, but I want a good pair of glasses. What should I look for and where should I start?
Old 12-29-20, 12:10 AM
akirapuff

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i like roka. I have sl-1 apex and they are unbelievably light. They also guarantee it wont fall off your face.
Old 12-29-20, 12:10 AM
akirapuff

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry just realized you dont like oakley 'style'. I thought you said oakleys specifically.
Old 12-29-20, 12:11 AM
InvertedMP 

Well I realize they all tend to sorta look like Oakley blades. Is what it is I guess.
Old 12-29-20, 01:00 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Polarized safety glasses from your local hardware store are awesome

Your local REI will have an in-house brand with neat all-rounder outdoor sunglasses.

I'm personally a big fan of the Speedcraft sunglasses, but I buy knock-offs from Amazon. They work great for me! Multiple lenses, replaceable / interchangeable everything... $30 shipped with 3 lenses, a case and a microfiber pouch.

https://www.amazon.com/ROCK-BROS-Pol...9225206&sr=8-1
Old 12-29-20, 06:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Glasses aimed at road cyclists tend to be big and huge because of the field of view/sightlines, particularly with the high brow for when you're low and still want to see down the road in front of you. If this doesn't particularly concern you, just go with whatever you like the looks of as long as they provide adequate protection from wind and debris. I have some Oakleys, but I probably wear my non-sporty Ray-Bans more frequently.
Old 12-29-20, 06:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22516 Post(s)
Liked 8,845 Times in 4,115 Posts
Comfort. Eye protection. Good field of view. U-V protection. Style. Price.

All these are factors to consider, and as above if you are on a budget the safety glasses section at Home Depot/Lowes is worth considering.

Realize cycling-centric glasses may be better for cycling in some ways, but the cost may be disproportionately high.
Old 12-29-20, 07:45 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I'd go with these. How can you go wrong after watching the commercial?

Likes For seypat:
Old 12-29-20, 07:54 AM
dilbert2000

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Polarized safety glasses ...
Maybe it's me, but I have a harder time seeing my Garmin with polarized lenses. My car's heads up display does not work at all.
Likes For dilbert2000:
Old 12-29-20, 07:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Oakley Flak 2.0

Not that large, not a blade lens.
Old 12-29-20, 07:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
In all seriousness, I would probably hit the outdoor/sunglass sections at the sporting goods/dept. stores and find a cheap pair that you like the look of first. Wear those around first to see if you take care of them or how long it takes to lose them. Then invest in a more expensive pair with the look you like. I buy gym locks 3 at a time so when I lose one I don't have to learn a new combination.

On the other hand, I have to wear prescription bifocals. The last time I got a new set of glasses, I also got a set of sport sunglasses as well. I wear them for everything. I haven't lost/broken them yet 5 years in.

Most power/pneumatic tools come with safety glasses. I have some customers that say they make great sunglasses. The customers scoop up any extras I might have. It's hard to beat free.

Last edited by seypat; 12-29-20 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 08:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000
Maybe it's me, but I have a harder time seeing my Garmin with polarized lenses. My car's heads up display does not work at all.
Many polarized items have an orientation and can work against each other if you're using more than one; if your screen is passing only vertical waves and your glasses are passing only horizontal waves, you'll get a black screen. Rotating either, so that the two polarizers are in alignment, will solve the problem, but that's typically not practical in this case.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-29-20, 08:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10903 Post(s)
Liked 7,396 Times in 4,149 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
What should I look for and where should I start?
Start with Tifosi. They are relatively inexpensive, well made/reliable for beyond the price, durable, and have a wide range of designs.
I have a pair that are fototec, so the lenses adjust based on light and a few pairs of mirrored that are a more traditional all around design. The fototec were $65 and the general glasses were $25 each. All I need really are glasses that wont fog and wont slip. The $25 glasses have rubber grips on the nose and enough tension on the arms to keep the glasses in place.

I like that there are a lot of designs as I dont need or want a shield for the upper half of my face, which is what a lot of cycling glasses seem to be.
If you then want to spend more for different designs, different materials, or a trendy name- then you havent spent much already.
Also, polarized is annoying for cycling. At least thats the case for me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-29-20, 08:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,319 Times in 2,704 Posts
I have some inexpensive cycling glasses (Tifosi?) with the interchangeable lenses. I rarely use them. They seem bulky on my face and don't fold flat to fit neatly in a pocket. I'm too much of a klutz to properly stick them in my helmet. Plus I'm too Fred-ish for that pro look. I generally wear Ray Bans with an amber tint. My favorites were some wire frame, round lens "Blind Boy Bluesman" style. Sadly they didn't survive a crash and took a chunk of my cheek on the way out.
Old 12-29-20, 10:46 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I have some inexpensive cycling glasses (Tifosi?) with the interchangeable lenses. I rarely use them. They seem bulky on my face and don't fold flat to fit neatly in a pocket. I'm too much of a klutz to properly stick them in my helmet. Plus I'm too Fred-ish for that pro look. I generally wear Ray Bans with an amber tint. My favorites were some wire frame, round lens "Blind Boy Bluesman" style. Sadly they didn't survive a crash and took a chunk of my cheek on the way out.
That's something to consider. On a group ride a few years ago, a friend was wearing his metal-framed glasses when he crashed, and one of the arms broke in half and impaled his cheek, right under an eye socket. He came close to losing an eye.

tldr: don't wear metal-framed glasses on a bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-29-20, 10:58 AM
LarRig

Bikes: Musseuw MFC 01,'93 Mongoose Rockadile,'14 CAAD 10, '81 Panasonic DX4000, '91 PDG 90, Raleigh Retro Cruiser

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Check out the brand Torege on Amazon. I have a couple of pairs. Inexpensive, good optics, different styles to choose from. Some come with multiple lenses, case, bag, etc.
Old 12-29-20, 11:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Something non-Cycling geeky, but still with sport nosepad and larger coverage would be something like the Smith Pathway. I'm sure Oakley would have something comparable.

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/su...UNGLASSES.html
Old 12-29-20, 11:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
You could check out Tifosi here...https://www.tifosioptics.com/cycling-sunglasses/

I like them and they are a good bang for the buck. I wear Maui Jim daily but have taken to Oakley's because smaller glasses were allowing air into my eyes and I lost a couple contact lenses. IMO the Oakley lenses are every bit as good as my Maui Jim's.
Old 12-29-20, 11:35 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am a fan of Smith. They have lots of styles and you can often find a deal on their website for last season’s models.
Old 12-29-20, 12:43 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by bruce19
You could check out Tifosi here...https://www.tifosioptics.com/cycling-sunglasses/

I like them and they are a good bang for the buck. I wear Maui Jim daily but have taken to Oakley's because smaller glasses were allowing air into my eyes and I lost a couple contact lenses. IMO the Oakley lenses are every bit as good as my Maui Jim's.
I have several pairs of Maui's and relegated a pair to only biking use. I do want good lenses and I am not afraid to spend some money on a good pair of glasses. I am actually warming up to the idea of the Oakley Sutro, and might go that route as I want good lenses.
Old 12-29-20, 01:11 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I have several pairs of Maui's and relegated a pair to only biking use. I do want good lenses and I am not afraid to spend some money on a good pair of glasses. I am actually warming up to the idea of the Oakley Sutro, and might go that route as I want good lenses.
Competitive Cyclist has some Oakleys on sale.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...rand%3A48&nf=1
Old 12-30-20, 06:45 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Oakley only. Best vision technology in the business.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 12-30-20, 06:54 AM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Oakley only. Best vision technology in the business.
Ended up going to Sunglass Hut yesterday and picking up the Sutro. Hoping to ride with them today and see how they are but so far I like them.
Old 12-31-20, 02:52 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Tifosi. I picked up a pair of Tifosi sunglasses 10 years ago and have been using them since. Bought a second pair two years ago so I could have a pair for brazing. I did not want they typical ugly sport sunglass, and Tifosi has several models available that don't meld into the mold of sport sunglasses. I use them while riding my motorcycle and bicycle. Can't go wrong with Tifosi.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-31-20, 09:58 AM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
It may be too late but if you have need for glasses already I suggest if you have extra FSA money to spend, you spend it on prescription sunglasses.

Just got a pair of RecSpecs as we needed to spend FSA money that was going to be wasted after 12/31

not for everyone but will be nice to ride with better vision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.