Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Peloton vs Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Peloton vs Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 07:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
beats me, I haven't had to change pants in the 8 years since I lost weight cycling and I've certainly only gotten stronger as a cyclist in that time.
I guess i'm more of a sprinter. Just look at the thighs of Mark Cavendish and Andre Greipel.

Those don't look lime the arms of a98 pound weakling.
Old 08-04-21, 07:27 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Heart rate and breath rate.

I bet more people have a heat rate monitor than have power meters.

My heart rate was always lower on a spin bike and when I spoke to the instructor, she was not surprised.
With all due respect, this is nonsense. My HR goes through the freaking roof on my Peloton rides (same thing when I used to do SoulCycle). You can check my Strava if you have any doubt (same user name). If your HR is low during spin class, that's either on you or the instructor. My HR averages around 155 for a Peloton ride with a maximum of anywhere between 175-183 (183 is my absolute maximum HR). On my last ride, I spent 54% of the workout in Zone 4 and 5. In my last Tabata Peloton ride, I spent 33.2% in Zone 4, and 29.6% in Zone 5! (i.e., greater than 174bpm).
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-04-21, 07:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrecks24
Would you say that one could get more out of a stationary bike than actually cycling?
More what? More of a workout, yes. But definitely not more joie de vivre. Although cycling is pretty much my only exercise, I ride for more than exercise.

More bums? If the stationary bike is located at a popular spin class, yes. I am quite sure that is why my colleague went to spin class (pre-pandemic). He steadfastly maintains that spin class saves time, whereas I need the time spent on my ride to mentally unwind.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-04-21, 09:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I figure that 45' indoors = 1 hour outdoors in terms of a workout. To keep bike handling skills, ride resistance rollers instead of a trainer. Indoors is for specific training goals. Outdoors is for converting the strengths one acquires on the trainer into movement up the road, and of course acquiring and keeping the skills necessary to deal with what one encounters on the road. In many locations it's hard to find outdoors what one can dial up on the trainer, plus the ability to ride at constant power or HR or cadence for long, uninterrupted periods. One can't find on the trainer many skills necessary to ride well outdoors, like riding ascending, flat, or descending rollers, climbing OOS, fast descending, etc. One might also mention group ride skills, riding in vehicle traffic, on and on.

IME spin class is a poor substitute for a proper road bike on a trainer or rollers. Spin bikes are fixed gear machines which do not have the same pedaling dynamics as a road bike on the road or rollers. I haven't ridden a Peloton. Spin class also does not give one the opportunity to work on many ordinary bike training modalities, like long periods at constant power or specific interval sets. That said, for getting a start on the season, spin class is fine, but IMO, not for all year.
Old 08-04-21, 09:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
With all due respect, this is nonsense. My HR goes through the freaking roof on my Peloton rides (same thing when I used to do SoulCycle). You can check my Strava if you have any doubt (same user name). If your HR is low during spin class, that's either on you or the instructor. My HR averages around 155 for a Peloton ride with a maximum of anywhere between 175-183 (183 is my absolute maximum HR). On my last ride, I spent 54% of the workout in Zone 4 and 5. In my last Tabata Peloton ride, I spent 33.2% in Zone 4, and 29.6% in Zone 5! (i.e., greater than 174bpm).
I've never been able to make sense of comparative HR stats between people; nor for myself. From a recent ride, I don't know what sense to make of this, although just surmising that because it was hot outside my HR might have been more elevated:

Old 08-04-21, 10:09 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
IME spin class is a poor substitute for a proper road bike on a trainer or rollers. Spin bikes are fixed gear machines which do not have the same pedaling dynamics as a road bike on the road or rollers. I haven't ridden a Peloton. Spin class also does not give one the opportunity to work on many ordinary bike training modalities, like long periods at constant power or specific interval sets. That said, for getting a start on the season, spin class is fine, but IMO, not for all year.
I agree with much of your post, but want to address the quoted paragraph above. Spin class (including Peloton) is not really intended to be a substitute for a road bike. It is a different kind of workout that is inferior in several ways -- but also superior in other ways. If your goal of training is only to improve your outdoor bike riding/racing, then I probably wouldn't recommend doing a lot of spin classes instead of rollers or a smart trainer. However, if your goal is to improve your overall fitness, then I believe that spin classes offer some benefits. Put another way, spin classes can be difficult in slightly different ways than real biking. (The Peloton in particularr also offers the benefit of non-cycling classes.) I just finished a 45-minute Peloton class a few minutes ago. It was no joke. I'm just as wiped out as I am after a typically-hard 90-minute outdoor ride.
Old 08-04-21, 10:11 PM
mattcalifornia

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've never been able to make sense of comparative HR stats between people; nor for myself. From a recent ride, I don't know what sense to make of this, although just surmising that because it was hot outside my HR might have been more elevated:
Yeah - I can't compare my HR to other people. Mine seems to generally be higher than my peers when exercising. I'm usually consistent among my own workouts, but some days are just anomalies. It can be affected by sleep, caffeine, food, stress, fighting illness, temperature, etc.
Old 08-04-21, 11:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
I wear a HRM when Zwifting and road biking outdoors. Regardless of where I ride I try to maintain a minimum of 160 BPM with max efforts taking me to 185 (I’m 66). I have found that Zwift has increased my power and endurance while allowing me to ride indoors during bad weather. Have not found that Zwifting or outdoor cycling has done anything for upper body, but cycling is not designed for such so I do my pushups and planks and other exercises. Have also not found that riding indoors has reduced my ability to descend at speed, dodge pot holes, or ride in groups/pacelines. I can see where pure Peloton folks take to the streets with no practical outdoor experience how their cycling skills could be rather dodgy but some may have insane power.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-05-21, 06:05 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I can see where pure Peloton folks take to the streets with no practical outdoor experience how their cycling skills could be rather dodgy but some may have insane power.
And those are the really scary ones. I've seen the indoor warriors do some seriously dodgy and dangerous things on the road, simply because they don't know any better.

Old 08-05-21, 07:44 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I use Zwift and not Peloton. I do find that some courses are tough since the climbs feel very difficult but I cannot get as fit riding indoors since I cannot make myself climb for 2-4 hours like I can outdoors on our big mountain passes. So I can just not lose a lot of fitness as opposed to really building or maintaining my fitness over the winter. That may just be me and the fact that I cannot do 3-6 hour rides on Zwift. My max is about 2.5. Average is 1.5-2. I do have a friend who can crank out 50-60 miles on it and get pretty fit so it is all in how much indoor riding/training one can endure. This winter, I plan on doing some more structured training along with normal indoor riding. I see some of my riding buddies focus a lot on the structured training and it seems that they actually maintain all their fitness and even get stronger. I'm a social creature so it is harder for me to do that. Still, that is my intent this winter.
Old 08-05-21, 08:37 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by Chandne
I use Zwift and not Peloton. I do find that some courses are tough since the climbs feel very difficult but I cannot get as fit riding indoors since I cannot make myself climb for 2-4 hours like I can outdoors on our big mountain passes. So I can just not lose a lot of fitness as opposed to really building or maintaining my fitness over the winter. That may just be me and the fact that I cannot do 3-6 hour rides on Zwift. My max is about 2.5. Average is 1.5-2. I do have a friend who can crank out 50-60 miles on it and get pretty fit so it is all in how much indoor riding/training one can endure. This winter, I plan on doing some more structured training along with normal indoor riding. I see some of my riding buddies focus a lot on the structured training and it seems that they actually maintain all their fitness and even get stronger. I'm a social creature so it is harder for me to do that. Still, that is my intent this winter.
It's the structure, not the time, that allows for good fitness gains inside. I can get similar amounts of TSS outside in group rides, but it usually takes more time and it's not nearly as targeted.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 08-05-21, 08:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
muscles have little to do with how well one cycles.
This has to be one of THE dumbest things I have read lately.

The primary power producing muscles used for cycling are the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes. The calf muscles, abdominal muscles in conjunction with upper body muscles are used for stability when riding a bike.

A real bike includes every part of your body in the ride. Legs still play the biggest part but your entire core is going to get a workout because you are going to be using your body to maintain balance, streamline yourself, and stand or sit to gain or reduce speed. You DO NOT get this sitting on a spin bike. Spin bike the focus remains below the waist.

Last edited by prj71; 08-05-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-05-21, 09:03 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I’ll admit, I drink the Wahoo coolaid…

Yes there are limitations to indoor cycling, but options exist.

Indoors….
Wind cooling not representative of outside.
No tilt on bike while climbing (working different muscles)
Indoor bike different size/position to outdoor bike

Solution
Wahoo Headwind
Faster you ride, harder it blows

Wahoo Kickr Bike
Mine is within 1/8” of my road bike in every dimension
It tilts when climbing hills
I even duplicated my Road Saddle.

Add a software like FulGaz and a big TV and riding indoors becomes fully immersive.
I even catch myself leaning into corners. 8-)

Peloton is just one option, and likely the best if you enjoy led group exercising.
But it’s not the only option for indoor cycle training.

Barry
Old 08-05-21, 09:08 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wear a HRM when Zwifting and road biking outdoors. Regardless of where I ride I try to maintain a minimum of 160 BPM with max efforts taking me to 185 (I’m 66). I have found that Zwift has increased my power and endurance while allowing me to ride indoors during bad weather. Have not found that Zwifting or outdoor cycling has done anything for upper body, but cycling is not designed for such so I do my pushups and planks and other exercises. Have also not found that riding indoors has reduced my ability to descend at speed, dodge pot holes, or ride in groups/pacelines. I can see where pure Peloton folks take to the streets with no practical outdoor experience how their cycling skills could be rather dodgy but some may have insane power.
Even before Zwift etc, you could always tell the riders who had spent all winter on the trainer vs those who rode outside. It’s even more pronounced now.
Old 08-05-21, 09:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
And those are the really scary ones. I've seen the indoor warriors do some seriously dodgy and dangerous things on the road, simply because they don't know any better.
And this is why We Will Yell At You.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-05-21, 09:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Even before Zwift etc, you could always tell the riders who had spent all winter on the trainer vs those who rode outside. It’s even more pronounced now.
Absolutely.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-05-21, 09:41 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
It's the structure, not the time, that allows for good fitness gains inside. I can get similar amounts of TSS outside in group rides, but it usually takes more time and it's not nearly as targeted.
Yeah, the training courses help with that and I am going to do more of that this year. Last year, I mostly did a lot of social riding on Zwift.
Old 08-05-21, 09:49 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I have only done a couple of climbs on Zwift (Alpe de Zwift being one) and I found it rather brutal. Steady climbing with no respite, while sweating up a storm, for me is tough. But then most of the hills around here can be conquered in an hour or far less usually running between 6-9%. I agree with what you say about being social and non-structured but this winter I am going to bit the bullet and start a structured plan and see if I can not only maintain but improve my fitness. My buddies have coaches and they crank out amazing watts for over age 50.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-05-21, 09:54 AM
Chandne

I have only done a couple of climbs on Zwift (Alpe de Zwift being one) and I found it rather brutal. Steady climbing with no respite, while sweating up a storm, for me is tough. But then most of the hills around here can be conquered in an hour or far less usually running between 6-9%. I agree with what you say about being social and non-structured but this winter I am going to bit the bullet and start a structured plan and see if I can not only maintain but improve my fitness. My buddies have coaches and they crank out amazing watts for over age 50.
Yes, that one is a good tough one. I did that twice and will do that more often this time. We have big outdoor climbs (Squaw+Juniper Pass are around 3,500 ft in one big effort) but since many are at higher elevation, it is hard (well, impossible after a few snowstorms) to do those in the winter. I'll climb more for sure and do some structured plans but I need to figure out which ones to go for. I am hoping to emerge in the Spring lean as a puma and not like a fat pre-cocoon caterpillar this time.
Old 08-05-21, 10:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
For a few winters I did spin classes. When they say to add tension and climb I did. But when I got on a real bike I couldn't climb. This winter I road outside exclusively and never lost my ability to climb. In April I as in mid summer form already. Not so when going to spin.

On a spin bike there is not gravity or balance, so you're upper body doesn't get the same workout.

I have enjoyed this thread.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-05-21, 11:16 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
The upper body differences I've noticed from cycling basically boils down to my shoulders. I've had decent abdominal strength for years but my shoulders are now stronger from cycling. I'm in the Navy and we've switched from sit ups to planks to measure abdominal strength while still doing push ups. Cycling has really helped my ability to both do push ups and planks and not having my shoulders collapse on me.
Old 08-05-21, 11:41 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This has to be one of THE dumbest things I have read lately.

The primary power producing muscles used for cycling are the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes. The calf muscles, abdominal muscles in conjunction with upper body muscles are used for stability when riding a bike.

A real bike includes every part of your body in the ride. Legs still play the biggest part but your entire core is going to get a workout because you are going to be using your body to maintain balance, streamline yourself, and stand or sit to gain or reduce speed. You DO NOT get this sitting on a spin bike. Spin bike the focus remains below the waist.
I guess it’s a damn miracle I can keep myself upright after riding almost exclusively inside all year

Old 08-05-21, 11:53 AM
Andy Somnifac 

I guess it’s a damn miracle I can keep myself upright after riding almost exclusively inside all year
So, what exactly are you arguing? That inside and outside workouts both strain the same parts of the body equally? 'cause they don't. Core and stabilizer muscles don't get the same workout inside.
No one has said you can't get strong inside. In fact, the opposite has been said. What HAS been said is that inside fitness doesn't always equate to real-world performance. I know plenty of Zwift warriors who put up big numbers inside but get their butts handed to them outside.

If you want to be strong inside, cool. Awesome. Go for it. No one is going to stop you.

Old 08-05-21, 11:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This thread is living up to the billing so far! Definitely one of the best pissing contest threads in a while. Zingers coming from both sides.

Cavendish with massive guads? Grepel with massive arms? Keep em coming.

Last edited by seypat; 08-05-21 at 12:05 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-05-21, 11:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Because the ones who workout on the trainer are squirrelly??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.