Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tanwall tire options for those obsessive with clean?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 06:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts

I have two pairs of 38-622 Panaracer Paselas on two different bikes. Both sets seem about the same in that the rubber compound on the sidewalls seems pretty sticky/tacky. So much so that I can hardly touch the tires without transfer of anything that may be on my hands. A drag of a greasy chain or a brake pad (such as when installing the wheel or adjusting a brake) will easily create a black mark and the sticky nature of the sidewalls mean they're pretty difficult to clean. I can usually lift the color off with a lot of scrubbing, but it's somewhat of a repetitive process for someone like me who likes stuff to look clean. Many of my other modern tires have a much slicker sidewall compound...almost like a matte vs. glossy finish. I'm thinking tires from Continental, Schwalbe, Vittoria, Kenda, etc. These tires clean up with a simple wet wipe.

Is the "sticky" rubber sidewall a characteristic of all Pasela tires? Or even all Panaracer tires? Are the GravelKings similarly sticky/tacky? One of my other choices is a Vittoria Terreno Zero and, if the 40-622 is the same as my 47-584s, I know the rubber will be soft but also smooth and easy to clean. Do you all have good experience with any other tanwall tire in the 38-42mm variety (622mm rims) that is easy to maintain and keep clean?
Old 08-22-21, 06:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have two pairs of 38-622 Panaracer Paselas on two different bikes. Both sets seem about the same in that the rubber compound on the sidewalls seems pretty sticky/tacky. So much so that I can hardly touch the tires without transfer of anything that may be on my hands. A drag of a greasy chain or a brake pad (such as when installing the wheel or adjusting a brake) will easily create a black mark and the sticky nature of the sidewalls mean they're pretty difficult to clean. I can usually lift the color off with a lot of scrubbing, but it's somewhat of a repetitive process for someone like me who likes stuff to look clean. Many of my other modern tires have a much slicker sidewall compound...almost like a matte vs. glossy finish. I'm thinking tires from Continental, Schwalbe, Vittoria, Kenda, etc. These tires clean up with a simple wet wipe.

Is the "sticky" rubber sidewall a characteristic of all Pasela tires? Or even all Panaracer tires? Are the GravelKings similarly sticky/tacky? One of my other choices is a Vittoria Terreno Zero and, if the 40-622 is the same as my 47-584s, I know the rubber will be soft but also smooth and easy to clean. Do you all have good experience with any other tanwall tire in the 38-42mm variety (622mm rims) that is easy to maintain and keep clean?
Magic eraser and maybe dish soap?

This is why I like Gatorskins and GP 4 Seasons, pretty dark and hide plenty. Don't get me wrong, I love me some old fashioned tan walls BUT as you point out, a real PITA to keep clean.
Old 08-22-21, 07:11 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,569 Times in 3,767 Posts

Old 08-22-21, 07:25 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
^ The fine print on those auto products usually includes a line to the effect of 'don't use on bicycle tires'. I'm sure it's probably low risk, but I second guess myself and conclude that a bit of dirt isn't that bad.

I've had good results using detergent free baby wipes on my tires.
Old 08-22-21, 07:56 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
^ The fine print on those auto products usually includes a line to the effect of 'don't use on bicycle tires'. I'm sure it's probably low risk,
When I was a kid, I cleaned the whole tire with Son of a Gun. Fortunately I didn't get overspray on the wheels so the brakes still worked when things got crazy on a brick road.

Old 08-22-21, 08:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I think tanwalls require a more Zen mindset: they are impermanence in motion. If they don't turn gray from brake slurry or get marks from chain grease, they will still dry out and blanch in the sun.

P.S.: A thread I started on this topic a few years ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...sidewalls.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-23-21 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-22-21, 08:27 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I guess I've divided my bikes into "sunny day bikes" and "work bikes". The work bikes get ridden in all conditions and cleanliness is not the top priority. These bikes tend to get black or dark sidewalls, and the sunny day bikes get the good gumwalls (such as the Veloflex Master).

sunny day bike:

work bike:

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-22-21, 08:36 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
The GP5000's come in tan now.
Old 08-23-21, 12:13 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I guess I've divided my bikes into "sunny day bikes" and "work bikes". The work bikes get ridden in all conditions and cleanliness is not the top priority. These bikes tend to get black or dark sidewalls, and the sunny day bikes get the good gumwalls (such as the Veloflex Master).

sunny day bike:

work bike:

Steve in Peoria
Where can we see more pictures of the work bike?
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 08-23-21, 05:30 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Where can we see more pictures of the work bike?
I've had this bike for 21 years, and have posted pics of the bike in various threads. Here are a few that show the proper drive side perspective, or show it at work, etc.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-23-21, 07:51 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Are the GravelKings similarly sticky/tacky?
I have had both Paselas and (smooth) GravelKings, and the Kings were significantly harder to stain, and easier to clean, no worse than blackwall tires, really. I cannot recommend them, though. The GravelKings were the most fragile, flat-prone tires I have ever used. After less than 2,500 miles, they were already worn down to the carcass in spots, and I was delighted to throw them away. Nice ride, but not worth the worry.

Simple Green and a small nylon brush are my tools for cleaning tires. Even the Paselas come clean with a little extra effort.
Likes For scratchpaddy:
Old 08-24-21, 05:07 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by scratchpaddy
I have had both Paselas and (smooth) GravelKings, and the Kings were significantly harder to stain, and easier to clean, no worse than blackwall tires, really. I cannot recommend them, though. The GravelKings were the most fragile, flat-prone tires I have ever used. After less than 2,500 miles, they were already worn down to the carcass in spots, and I was delighted to throw them away. Nice ride, but not worth the worry.

Simple Green and a small nylon brush are my tools for cleaning tires. Even the Paselas come clean with a little extra effort.
Thanks for the affirmation on the Paselas -- that other tires, or at least the GKs, are harder to stain and easier to clean.

I really do like the Vittoria Terreno Zeros I have on my hybrid. I have them in 47-584 size but they also make them in 40-622 in a "brownwall" color and they're reportedly very robust tires. I'd prefer the lighter tan like my current Paselas have. I'll try some of the suggestions in this thread to see if I find success with them.
Old 08-24-21, 06:16 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
If only there were tires with sidewalls the color of chain grease…
Old 08-24-21, 07:31 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
If only there were tires with sidewalls the color of chain grease…
But blackwalls are nowhere near as sexy as gumwalls.
Old 08-24-21, 09:28 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I use auto tire cleaner and a light paint or maybe a soft tooth brush, they work great. Make sure you are not using a tire shine product, that can make for a slippery time.
Old 08-24-21, 10:01 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
When I was a kid, I cleaned the whole tire with Son of a Gun. Fortunately I didn't get overspray on the wheels so the brakes still worked when things got crazy on a brick road.
Originally Posted by himespau
But blackwalls are nowhere near as sexy as gumwalls.
I heartily agree......
Never seen a blackwall tire that I liked. Even my first ever 10 speed bike when I was a kid, had gumwall tires.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-24-21, 10:13 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
We used to call them Skinwalls. The sidewall look and feel like tubulars. These tires have only a thin covering of latex on them. The old Panaracers and the Schwinn Super Records were what we would call skinwalls. Gum Walls like the Kenda K35's have a much thicker coating on them and I don't know if that is latex or something else.

I like skin walls. I don't particularly care for the heavier gum walls like the K35's.

Of course the look on 60's, 70's and 80's lightweight bikes was skinwalls. And they would look like dull and greyish after a while and then the latex would come off when they got old leaving bare cotton thread.
Old 08-24-21, 12:07 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
We used to call them Skinwalls. The sidewall look and feel like tubulars. These tires have only a thin covering of latex on them. The old Panaracers and the Schwinn Super Records were what we would call skinwalls. Gum Walls like the Kenda K35's have a much thicker coating on them and I don't know if that is latex or something else.
just to provide a visual aid.. I've still got the Vittoria sew-ups (a.k.a. tubulars) that came with my 1974 Raleigh International. Not fancy silks, but good cotton sew-ups. This is what they look like (the two tires in the foreground). In the background is the International, with Veloflex Master tires. The Masters are very close in appearance to the vintage Vittorias, and ride very well too.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-24-21, 12:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I haven't seen masters available for sale in a year or more. Did they get discontinued, do I not know how to google, or is it just a supply chain issue thing?
Old 08-24-21, 02:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by himespau
I haven't seen masters available for sale in a year or more. Did they get discontinued, do I not know how to google, or is it just a supply chain issue thing?
it's been a while since I looked, but I think they were renamed.
checking my tire closet.... I've got a pair of Veloflex Corsa EVO, which seem to be the same as the Master. Very light and supple! i.e. not going to last a long time, but will be nice to ride.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-25-21, 10:31 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
My gravel king slicks in 32 are my current commuter tires ridden on L. A. streets and are drying clean and flat free as any tire.
Old 08-25-21, 10:43 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Tan walls are like white bar tape, only look good until used a few times. Great for wall hangers though.
Tim
Old 08-26-21, 05:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the responses. My wife has some Magic Erasers and I'll try that first. Simple Green if MEs don't work.