Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Peugeot is this?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Peugeot is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 08:45 AM
Sipos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Peugeot is this?

Hi everyone. I bought this Peugeot from very old man and he told me this is Peugeot PH 8 M 10. He has bought this bike at 1983 and changed the handlebar same year but according to his speech this is in original condition. I doubt it. Rear derailleur looks too new and i was thinking if this bike even is PH 8 M... Looks PX50S to me, am i right? And colour, this bike has been in direct sunshine like 30 years so its somewhat black matte/dark grey nowadays. So what is the original colour? Im going to paint this with it. Peugeot text at toptube is orange. Bike has 3x5 gears, front and rear rack, Simplex gear shifters, Mafac brakes, 700/28" tires, Maillard front hub, rear hub by helico matic, 123 numbers at bb.
Any help, history, tips etc are very welcome Sorry for the picture quality and backround. ill try to find some time to take better pics.
Cheers!

EDIT: ibb.co/SVNxvCZ Picture is there and im from Finland

Last edited by Sipos; 08-26-21 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 10:51 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
You don't give any idea where you're from, continent-wise. Not many PX50 made it over here, and I don't recall them lasting into the 80s.

80s bikes should have a white sticker on the chainstay identifying their model. PH would be a common prefix, and P8 or PH8 could make sense and be a valid model for '83. In the absence of pics, here's a partial catalog for 1983.

Additionally, most '80s road bikes have a series of numbers stamped under the bottom bracket shell. It can be used to date if you know how to decode. Usually starts with a letter followed by several digits, 1st 3 of which are date codes.

If the derailleurs are Simplex or Huret, there's a strong chance they may be original. The ECO model Huret mechs kept their shine for decades and often look near-new.

Old 08-26-21, 12:29 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
THe graphics are correct for circa 1983 but the serial number will tell us the exact date of manufacture. The sticker, if present, will tell us the exact model. Pending this info, the combination of lugged frame and triple crankset does suggest the equivalent to a PX50 variant, as model numbering could vary between markets. However, to the best of my knowledge, the PH designations were only used for bicycles with lugless frame constuction, so it shouldn't be a PH model.
Old 08-26-21, 12:41 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
From the 1983 French catalog the OP's picture sure does look like the PX50S: many details the same including the 15 speed drivetrain etc; had drop bars though. The RD in that catalog is Simplex.

https://bikeboompeugeot.com/Brochure...oomPeugeot.JPG
Old 08-26-21, 01:33 PM
Sipos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is not any serial number stickers anywhere on the frame. Under bottom bracket is stamped numbers: 123
Old 08-26-21, 01:54 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Could be an '82 as well, similar specs.
Likes For clubman:
Old 08-26-21, 04:12 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Pic assist

Old 08-26-21, 04:14 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Drivetrain definitely not original.

I recommend looking at catalogs at Cycles Rétro-Peugeot because they have more EU-based catalogs, with many from NL and DE which likely contain your model.

Old 08-26-21, 04:28 PM
Sipos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh i totally forgot to say but there is also stamp at rear drop out, non drive side. It says: B or 8 111 26219. Numbers are quite worn out. I dunno doest't that mean anything? Painting and re-decaling this will be quite tricky part because bikes colour doesn't match anyoff those PX's at catalog. My guess is this has been very deep dark blue with orange or red decals. Those are orange now but maybe original was red and sun has burned it to orange..?
Anyway i appreciate your answers so far!
Old 08-26-21, 07:17 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Sipos
Oh i totally forgot to say but there is also stamp at rear drop out, non drive side. It says: B or 8 111 26219. Numbers are quite worn out. I dunno doest't that mean anything? Painting and re-decaling this will be quite tricky part because bikes colour doesn't match anyoff those PX's at catalog. My guess is this has been very deep dark blue with orange or red decals. Those are orange now but maybe original was red and sun has burned it to orange..?
Based on the serial number, it was manufactured in November 1981 and should therefore be a 1982 model. In which case it's still looking like a somewhat modified PX50 variant, though I don't if the Scandanavian markets used the French market designations.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-27-21, 05:52 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Sipos
I think T-Mar has solved the date issue, and as far as the colours go you should just paint it to something you like - personally I think it is a faded dark blue like the 83 catalog, and I agree the decals have faded as well, but ultimately now you know what it is you can paint it to suit yourself.
Old 08-27-21, 07:59 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Looks very similar to the 1981/82 P8 my brother had, except for the fork. IORC, his P8 did not have chrome "socks" on its fork.
It had drop bars and no racks and fenders and it had stem mounted shifters. So I think you are correct in assuming that it is not a P8 but a similar model equipped by Peugeot more for town or light touring riding.
Old 08-27-21, 12:32 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think Peugeot had switched to Weinmann centerpull brakes for the North American markets by this time (early '80s). The fact that this one has MAFACs is another clue in the PX50's favor.
Old 08-30-21, 10:42 AM
Sipos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank's to everyone for your replies, those have been really helpfull I need to start searching new rear derailleur because Hi/Low screws doesn't do anything when i turn those. Simplex would fit the style but something inside me tells to get Shimano. Painting is still big question mark to me. Id like to keep OG look with deep blue but next day im thinking like bright ruby red and other total opposite colours Well anyway i think this is great bike and it was good find, a real bargain because it was ridiculously cheap.