Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Old 08-29-21, 09:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don’t understand this element of the use of the term, “half-wheeling.”

I think we share the same basic understanding that half-wheeling involves a follwing rider overlapping their front wheel with the back half of the leading rider’s rear wheel, no?

What I don’t get is how this behavior “pushes the pace,” particularly because, by definition, the following rider is behind and therefor out of sight of the leading rider who then cannot— or usually does not— have awareness that half-wheeling is happening. That’s what makes it dangerous, but also why I don’t get how someone could feel pushed by behavior they’re unaware of.

I suppose if the following rider was far enough away from the leading rider that the leading rider could catch them in their peripheral vision or with a head check then they’d be aware and the situation far less dangerous. However, as the leading rider, it’s their main role to set the pace, and if someone were coming up way out on my left— and I’m speaking personally now— I’d assume they’re either going to overtake or they misjudged their speed and are trying to bleed some off in the wind rather than by braking. If they don’t overtake, then I’m inferring my pace is fine.

And that’s how I’ve always seen it to work around here, too, with any of the groups I’ve ridden with. In my club, we ride fast pacelines and definitely have some members who are either uncomfortable in the draft or are just arseholes who ride out in the fallback line, often halfway alongside if not half-wheeling their leading rider. I have never noticed, in all the years, that he behavior causes the speeds to lift, nor have I heard complaints that anyone felt uncomfortably pressured by the behavior, so I wonder if I’m misunderstanding how you’re describing “half-wheeling.”
No, 'half-wheeling' is when you're riding side-by-side with another rider, and you keep pushing the pace by moving forward by half a wheel, hence 'half-wheeling'. The rider beside you feels pushed to accelerate to match.

What you're describing is overlapping wheels.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-29-21, 10:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
I think we share the same basic understanding that half-wheeling involves a follwing rider overlapping their front wheel with the back half of the leading rider’s rear wheel, no?
No. Half wheeling is when one of the front riders in a double pace line continuously edges ahead of the other front rider.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-29-21, 10:42 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,986 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No. Half wheeling is when one of the front riders in a double pace line continuously edges ahead of the other front rider.
Yes but it doesn't have to be a paceline. It can happen with just 2 riders.

Your other point is well taken, just get rid of them like the guys who accelerate when they reach the front. But we know it usually doesn't work that way.
Old 08-29-21, 10:49 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by big john
Yes but it doesn't have to be a paceline. It can happen with just 2 riders.
Definitely, but the OP asked about half wheeling in the context of a group ride or pace line.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-30-21, 02:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
No, 'half-wheeling' is when you're riding side-by-side with another rider, and you keep pushing the pace by moving forward by half a wheel, hence 'half-wheeling'. The rider beside you feels pushed to accelerate to match.

What you're describing is overlapping wheels.
Oh, interesting. I’m not familiar with that use of the term, and I guess I’m not familiar with that kind of behavior as a problem, either.

Mainly, we don’t ride two abreast that often, and when we do, it’s just easy cruising to chat, so there’s no competitiveness…if that is indeed what drives the behavior. More often we’re in a paceline, where the “abreast” rider is only alongside momentarily as they rotate to the back.

I certainly recognize people without group riding socialization, and so what you call half-wheeling I thought was just anti-social behavior by someone who doesn’t know how to chill and enjoy a chat, or perhaps someone who is really uncomfy in the bunch. I don’t want to risk finding out it’s the latter, so I’ll move off and find someone else to cruise with.

It strikes me as odd that half-wheeling as you call it would push the pace, though, because if it’s being done to someone, isn’t the victim the one controlling the pace? I mean, the half-wheeler is quasi-matching the victim, right, otherwise they’d just overtake and pull ahead. I don’t really get the obligation to ride next to someone who doesn’t, clearly, want to ride next to you, but again, it’s either just recovery moments or social rides for my groups when we’d be two abreast, so for someone to be out of sync (off the front; or can you do this mid-pack?) is not a big deal.
Old 08-30-21, 05:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Oh, interesting. I’m not familiar with that use of the term, and I guess I’m not familiar with that kind of behavior as a problem, either.

Mainly, we don’t ride two abreast that often, and when we do, it’s just easy cruising to chat, so there’s no competitiveness…if that is indeed what drives the behavior. More often we’re in a paceline, where the “abreast” rider is only alongside momentarily as they rotate to the back.

I certainly recognize people without group riding socialization, and so what you call half-wheeling I thought was just anti-social behavior by someone who doesn’t know how to chill and enjoy a chat, or perhaps someone who is really uncomfy in the bunch. I don’t want to risk finding out it’s the latter, so I’ll move off and find someone else to cruise with.

It strikes me as odd that half-wheeling as you call it would push the pace, though, because if it’s being done to someone, isn’t the victim the one controlling the pace? I mean, the half-wheeler is quasi-matching the victim, right, otherwise they’d just overtake and pull ahead. I don’t really get the obligation to ride next to someone who doesn’t, clearly, want to ride next to you, but again, it’s either just recovery moments or social rides for my groups when we’d be two abreast, so for someone to be out of sync (off the front; or can you do this mid-pack?) is not a big deal.
Suppose you are easy-crusing to chat as highlighted above. And your next-door partner keeps pushing the pace faster (half wheeling) every time you catch up to him/her they pull even faster ahead. I hope you can see how that is a doosh move.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-30-21, 06:15 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by datlas
Suppose you are easy-crusing to chat as highlighted above. And your next-door partner keeps pushing the pace faster (half wheeling) every time you catch up to him/her they pull even faster ahead. I hope you can see how that is a doosh move.
I’m not sure if “doosh” means what I think it does, but it sounds like something I’d file under “anti-social.”
Old 08-30-21, 06:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I’m not sure if “doosh” means what I think it does, but it sounds like something I’d file under “anti-social.”
Pretty much correct. The correct spelling of that word is not allowed in here.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-30-21, 08:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Ok, now can someone explain how this behavior pushes the pace? If you’re aware that it’s being done to you, what is it that keeps sucking you in to increasing the speed when you know full well it doesn’t matter? Do the half-wheelers bait you by allowing you to think you’ve matched their speed, only to pull ahead again shortly thereafter? I mean, why don’t you just ride your pace and let the half-wheeler do their thing? What are the group ride conditions in which this is a problem? If it’s just two people, why not just drop back in the draft and let ‘em work, or even pull out every now and then if you feel you aren’t getting enough of a workout in the draft? Truly, I don’t understand the scenario or psychology going on this “half-wheeling” scenario you folks are describing, or even why it’s a problem.
Old 08-30-21, 08:35 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
A key to enjoying group rides is finding the right group. When you do, it's waaayy better than always riding alone. Riding alone is ok but riding with friends adds so much.

I don't disagree.

In the years that I was riding regularly I searched around this area a bit for another group. I have 'basically' three known clubs nearby. The one I was riding with was the largest, and closest group. There was another one somewhat nearby. It was made of mostly white collar workers (well, most groups are I have noted) and I just never felt assimilated into the group. The other group I tried to ride with dumped me on a ride when I fell off the back. The sweep didn't bother to sweep and I ended up lost in N Atlanta for a while after my phone fell and got crushed.
I went back to the original group for a bit. The last summer I rode with them was quite a year with two very large crashes within the group. The topper was when two of the guys in the group got pissed at me for being friendly with "their" women. It just so happened that my level of speed ended up with me riding in close proximity to the ladies a lot. No point in not being friendly....apparently they weren't confident enough in themselves to deal with that. I just opted at that point for it to be the cherry on top and haven't ridden in a group outside things like Mass or the Mobile Social since then. I am actually not positive that any of those groups are active any longer. I think one dissolved and the other has been down for the 'rona, so far as I am aware.
Talk about a bunch of incidents and unsafe happenings...whew! Riding mass is fun, but very dangerous.
Old 08-30-21, 08:39 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Im feeling like this "rule" is similar to ones like don't surge once you get to the front, half wheeling can worsen the accordion affect in the pack. Refraining from it helps keep the paceline running smooth. This ride isn't really about running a smooth paceline though, its supposed to be training for races, people attack and surge all the time.
Old 08-30-21, 09:03 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Im feeling like this "rule" is similar to ones like don't surge once you get to the front, half wheeling can worsen the accordion affect in the pack. Refraining from it helps keep the paceline running smooth. This ride isn't really about running a smooth paceline though, its supposed to be training for races, people attack and surge all the time.
Why, when people explain why something is rude, do you insist on arguing?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-30-21, 09:23 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Half-wheelers are no different than cyclists who accelerate when they reach the front of a rotating pace line. Just let them go -- they'll figure it out after they find themselves alone a few times.
No they won't, apparently.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 08-30-21, 09:27 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Unless it’s a sanctioned race it’s just plain rude. Bad upbringing.
Old 08-30-21, 09:37 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why, when people explain why something is rude, do you insist on arguing?
Some people don't find it a big deal I guess. My friends are into motorcycles and beer and I always ride alone. On the few times I have ridden with friends we ride side by side and chat. If I was with someone and they were pulling a move like this I would say "slow down dude, this isn't a race" If they continued they would be alone and I would know they are a doosh and to not ride with them again.

I enjoy doing most exercise related things myself. It is not because I am anti social but because I have limited time and trying to fit in the needs of others when I recreate are not logistics I care for. I have learned this the hard way.
Old 08-30-21, 09:40 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Can someone cue me into why half wheeling is frowned upon? I heard the term a while ago and thought it meant overlapping wheels/not protecting your front wheel, but now I understand that its more about persistently upping the pace when next to someone. To me this sounds fine and not dangerous. in the group I ride with, if someone pushes the pace on an easy day the other riders let them go and blow themselves up. Is half wheeling somehow inherently dangerous, or is it just something that can disrupt an organized pace line
I've heard "half-wheeling" used in two contexts - the first the tendency for the drafting rider to overlap wheels with the rider in front, and the other the tendency to constantly up the pace when at the head of the line. The first is dangerous - if the first rider changes his/her line in response to anything - not an unlikely possibility - there's a 50% chance that wheels will touch, and a close-to-100% chance that someone's going down - the half-wheeling rider almost certainly, the first rider possibly, and the line of riders behind the half-wheeler, highly likely if the half-wheeler goes down.
The second is just annoying
Old 08-30-21, 09:58 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
No they won't, apparently.
If they don't learn, then they'll always find themselves off the front. Problem solved either way.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-30-21, 10:01 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I don't disagree.

In the years that I was riding regularly I searched around this area a bit for another group. I have 'basically' three known clubs nearby. The one I was riding with was the largest, and closest group. There was another one somewhat nearby. It was made of mostly white collar workers (well, most groups are I have noted) and I just never felt assimilated into the group. The other group I tried to ride with dumped me on a ride when I fell off the back. The sweep didn't bother to sweep and I ended up lost in N Atlanta for a while after my phone fell and got crushed.
I went back to the original group for a bit. The last summer I rode with them was quite a year with two very large crashes within the group. The topper was when two of the guys in the group got pissed at me for being friendly with "their" women. It just so happened that my level of speed ended up with me riding in close proximity to the ladies a lot. No point in not being friendly....apparently they weren't confident enough in themselves to deal with that. I just opted at that point for it to be the cherry on top and haven't ridden in a group outside things like Mass or the Mobile Social since then. I am actually not positive that any of those groups are active any longer. I think one dissolved and the other has been down for the 'rona, so far as I am aware.
Talk about a bunch of incidents and unsafe happenings...whew! Riding mass is fun, but very dangerous.
I've had some similar experiences. Spent a lot of time riding with women, the ones I could keep up with, anyway. Never had anyone give my crap about it, though. Had husbands, when there are husbands, say they appreciate me riding with their wives and I generally don't leave a woman alone if I can help it.

I've been a member of a road club for 32 years. As many as 500 members during some years. I've seen all kinds of people come and go and made some really great friends. Yes, I've been dropped and that has happened more as I am older and slower and younger guys have showed up.
It has lost some of it's charm but then the covid kinda killed the whole thing. Very few people show up compared to years past and some small groups have formed to do their own thing.
I joined another smaller club in 2019 and they are more focused on staying together during rides. Everyone there has been super friendly and they treat me like an old friend. Their rides are usually short, though, like 40 miles. They are supposed to start having some longer ones so I am looking forward to that.
Old 08-30-21, 10:07 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
If they don't learn, then they'll always find themselves off the front. Problem solved either way.
That depends on how one defines the "problem"
Old 08-30-21, 10:12 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
That depends on how one defines the "problem"
The problem with half wheeling is the gradual increase in group speed. If you let the half wheeler go off the front, the group speed doesn't change, so problem solved.
Old 08-30-21, 10:12 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Training to race doesn't mean you are always riding just like you would in a race. Training is about conditioning. Some types of conditioning are best done with a group. Some is best done solo. Some group rides are competitive from the start, and pushing the pace is acceptable. Some group rides are more constrained. Know the character of the group and assimilate.
Old 08-30-21, 10:18 AM
big john

Ok, now can someone explain how this behavior pushes the pace? If you’re aware that it’s being done to you, what is it that keeps sucking you in to increasing the speed when you know full well it doesn’t matter? Do the half-wheelers bait you by allowing you to think you’ve matched their speed, only to pull ahead again shortly thereafter? I mean, why don’t you just ride your pace and let the half-wheeler do their thing? What are the group ride conditions in which this is a problem? If it’s just two people, why not just drop back in the draft and let ‘em work, or even pull out every now and then if you feel you aren’t getting enough of a workout in the draft? Truly, I don’t understand the scenario or psychology going on this “half-wheeling” scenario you folks are describing, or even why it’s a problem.
You're really over-thinking it. It's subtle, one of the nuances of riding for hours with other people.
It's like a group ride when one guy goes to the front and raises the speed a bit. Of course nobody is forced to follow him, but groups tend to try and stay together, matching the ebb and flow of speed due to terrain, wind, whatever. If it's just a brief increase of speed and everyone can remain comfortable, no big deal. If the leader starts hammering, some are going to chase and some are going to suck wheel and some are getting dropped, maybe.

Like datlas has explained, when you're riding along with someone, maybe chatting, and that someone raises the speed a tiny bit,, you are probably going to match his speed because you're riding together. This can happen to the point that it's annoying. It's not a huge deal. If that person takes a flyer, that's a different story.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-30-21, 10:48 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
i half-wheel my friend Paul all the time. i'm struggling how to get him to pedal a little faster so we have more time as the pub for a second round.

for further reading, if this thread ain't enough of this.....
https://books.google.com/books/about...ok_description
Old 08-30-21, 10:55 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Likes For datlas:
Old 08-30-21, 11:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
You're really over-thinking it. It's subtle, one of the nuances of riding for hours with other people.
It's like a group ride when one guy goes to the front and raises the speed a bit. Of course nobody is forced to follow him, but groups tend to try and stay together, matching the ebb and flow of speed due to terrain, wind, whatever. If it's just a brief increase of speed and everyone can remain comfortable, no big deal. If the leader starts hammering, some are going to chase and some are going to suck wheel and some are getting dropped, maybe.

Like datlas has explained, when you're riding along with someone, maybe chatting, and that someone raises the speed a tiny bit,, you are probably going to match his speed because you're riding together. This can happen to the point that it's annoying. It's not a huge deal. If that person takes a flyer, that's a different story.
Way back in the 70s, when I was in my 20s, my older brother and I used to go running together whenever we were both at Mom and Dad's house. When we ran alone, we both tended to run the same pace. When we ran together every half mile or so, we'd have to consciously slow down, because we'd been gradually upping the pace. I think half-wheeling works the same way - if you're being half-wheeled, you speed up slightly to catch up. Then the half-wheeler - who might not be doing it consciously - speeds up to be ahead. Lather, rinse, repeat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.