Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Super Vitus 980

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Super Vitus 980

Old 03-06-20, 09:41 AM
elladaddy

Bikes: Bottecchia Campione del Mundo, 00 Rocky Mountain Element TO, 92 Trek 1400, '13 Public R16/Bionx; (Recent: '90 Specialized Allez Epic, '87 Trek 560EX, Kona Explosif, '18 Elephant National Forest Explorer, '08 Look 585, 75 Motobecane GR 650B)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Actually, I still kinda see the straight section on your fork right below the curve. I think it is like what is on my PSV, but maybe just a bit less....
Most Italian 80's bikes like my Pinarello and Bottecchia have nicer curves on their forks that extend ll the way to the dropouts, with less rake:

My Davidson, also built with Columbus tubing has a very nice consistent curve, going down to the dropouts.

My Gitane TdF that is built from Supervitus 983, deems to have the same kink/straight thing, going on with its lower fork legs. So it must be a Supervitus thing......

Fork legs do not change in design as size goes up.
Alex Wetmore wrote about this. I believe if a fork is raked with a "kink" instead of a "curve", it will have a longer axle crown. So unless your French bikes used custom drawn fork legs, they may have wanted to conserve fork length when raking the fork.

French bikes with of that period often have steep head angles, so keeping the fork legs longer makes some sense.

Also, more rake has less of a "racy" look, but it will actually make steering quicker and more responsive.
Old 03-06-20, 10:29 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Most all frames are subject to flex of some degree. I think rider weight and style has more to do with flex than just frame material and of course size. A slender smooth spinning rider may find a 56cm 980 980 tubed frame to be stiff enough for them where a rider the same height but say 3-40 pounds heavier with a tendency to push a bigger gear and struggles to climb may find the same 56cm 980 tubed frame to be flexxy.
Bravo that you totally avoided the word, "planes".
I have one of this tubing, another mfg. It was decaled as a Reynolds 753...
I don't care, the French play fast and loose with tubing claims.
Old 09-01-21, 01:13 PM
socorunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the exact Davidson frame with Campy Rally components. Do you have more information on it? Like, what year the frame was built (Bill Davidson replied to me that it was "early 80s"). Everything is stock and given to me by a family member.
Old 09-01-21, 06:59 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 528 Posts
Originally Posted by socorunner
I have the exact Davidson frame with Campy Rally components. Do you have more information on it? Like, what year the frame was built (Bill Davidson replied to me that it was "early 80s"). Everything is stock and given to me by a family member.
if you are talking about my Davidson in the pic, it was supposedly custom built by Bill Davidson in 1983. That was when he was still mostly doing the building, himself.