Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ways to improve friction shifters?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-06-21, 03:37 PM
jimh12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

My 79 Raleigh Competition, which I ride regularly, has clamp-on friction shifters (Campy Nuovo Gran Sport). They don't like to stay tight and when they loosen up, trouble can follow. I avoid standing up to put more force on the pedals because I'm never totally confident the derailleur won't slip. Every now and then I reach down and tweak the friction adjustment (tighten the knurled outer wheel on the the shifter)

I thought maybe some vintage enthusiast here might have a trick or two to make these shifters hold their adjustment better. Maybe - add a thin disc of some grippier material? Or do something to 'lock' the adjustment wheel in position?

Likes For jimh12345:
Old 09-06-21, 04:00 PM
BTDisciple

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
They are famous for slipping. Maybe try a bit of medium strength locktite on the threads and make sure the washers are free from grease or oil. If that doesnt work try switching out to Simplex Retrofriction or Suntour Power Shifters.
Likes For BTDisciple:
Old 09-06-21, 04:10 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Is it just the right/rear you're having trouble with?

I had a couple sets of these and they worked fine. But they were in good shape. I don't know what yours are like. I always fully overhaul these. Upon assembly, I lightly grease everything (except the threads!), then lightly wipe away any residual grease from the washer(s).

If you're trying to reach a 28t cog with a Record or NR rear mech, it might not just be the shifters causing the issue. Maybe add a little bit more detail with what you're working with.
Old 09-06-21, 05:53 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
I would find an exploded parts diagram and (carefully!) disassemble them one side at a time. Lay the parts out in order from post to nut. Compare your parts (order and orientation) with the diagram. It's not unusual for a washer to be placed in the wrong spot in the stack or to be flipped (if not symmetrical).
Old 09-06-21, 06:19 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by jimh12345
My 79 Raleigh Competition, which I ride regularly, has clamp-on friction shifters (Campy Nuovo Gran Sport). They don't like to stay tight and when they loosen up, trouble can follow. I avoid standing up to put more force on the pedals because I'm never totally confident the derailleur won't slip. Every now and then I reach down and tweak the friction adjustment (tighten the knurled outer wheel on the the shifter)

I thought maybe some vintage enthusiast here might have a trick or two to make these shifters hold their adjustment better. Maybe - add a thin disc of some grippier material? Or do something to 'lock' the adjustment wheel in position?

Originally Posted by BTDisciple
They are famous for slipping. Maybe try a bit of medium strength locktite on the threads and make sure the washers are free from grease or oil. If that doesnt work try switching out to Simplex Retrofriction or Suntour Power Shifters.
^^^this. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to "improve" them. Simplex retrofriction's are getting harder to come by, but these guys at Velo Orange are currently in production by Dia Compe, and you only need the cheaper ones, not the 11s version with more pull. 55 bucks plus shipping.
Old 09-06-21, 06:31 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
these guys at Velo Orange are currently in production by Dia Compe, and you only need the cheaper ones, not the 11s version with more pull. 55 bucks plus shipping.
Those Dia Compes look nice. I wonder though if they'd fit on the original clamp mount.

UPDATE: I see they're available with their own clamp mount.

Thanks for the tip. This is probably the right solution.

Last edited by jimh12345; 09-06-21 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-06-21, 07:09 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When the adjusting wheels are tight, the friction is fine. The problem is that they don't stay tight.
Old 09-06-21, 07:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
The Gran Sport shifter is significantly different from the Record shifter. The Dia-Compe levers will not fit on the Gran Sport clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gran-sport-shifter.jpg (131.2 KB, 169 views)
Old 09-06-21, 09:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
When the adjusting wheels are tight, the friction is fine. The problem is that they don't stay tight.
Clean the threads really well with WD-40 and let them dry. Reassemble, mount and test. If you're experiencing the same issue, use a small amount of blue Loctite on the threaded portion only.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-06-21, 11:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I had the same problem with some old Suntour friction shifters. They were severely worn so it was not a design or install problem. In frustration I just took them apart and reassembled them using Elmers School Glue. Wow... They held up for a year and a half before I had to do it again...
Old 09-06-21, 11:55 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Not everything Campagnolo is glorious. This is one of those products. You should be able to find all sorts of stuff used or new to replace them with and you will be amazed as to why you didn't do it sooner.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 09-07-21, 04:03 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts

These - and their cousins the Valentinos - are my favourite shifters from Campagnolo, because they have such a nice large adjuster. I did had a pair that constantly loosened, and I fixed them (see below).

Shifter adjusting screws become loose if they are not completely prevented from rotating as the shifter lever is moved. Must shifters use some sort of a key between the lever and the adjusting screw - either flats on the monting boss or a tabbed washer on the outer surface of the shifter, which fits in a slot on another plate keyed to the mounting boss. There are variations, the Simplex pattern (tab in a U-shaped slot) is the best because you can squeeze the slot tight and thus hold the washer completely immobile.

These shifters are different. They have a mounting screw and an adjusting nut, They use a tabbed washer, which fits into a slot on a plate which is pressed on to the screw, sandwiching the mounting band.

I found that the screws had become loose in the band, and would rotate a few degrees back-and-forth as the lever was moved. I silver-soldered the inner edges of the screws to the band and all was well.

However, if your screws are tight then it may be that the tab that fits in the slot has sufficient clearance to also allow such movement. If so I would peen the tab a little to widen it, that'd be easier than trying to make the slot shorter.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-07-21, 05:22 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 137 Posts
I have the same problem when standing in the pedals going up steep hills. I read a BF thread a while back where somebody said that you can eliminate the ghost shifting using copper washers. I just looked for the thread but can't find it.
Old 09-07-21, 07:00 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Consider changing out your shifters to Retrifrictions, from Simplex.
As long as the clutch springs and the internal friction barrels are in good condition, you should not have any problem with them staying in gear. Nice thing is, you never have to adjust any pivot nuts or D rings to maintain good friction/resistance to derailleur springs, after you install them on your bike.
Be aware though that Retrofrictions will be hitting its max, in terms of shift cable wrap/lever throw at 7 speeds, because of their smallish cable barrel diameter.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 09-08-21, 11:39 AM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
These - and their cousins the Valentinos - are my favourite shifters from Campagnolo, because they have such a nice large adjuster. I did had a pair that constantly loosened, and I fixed them (see below).

Shifter adjusting screws become loose if they are not completely prevented from rotating as the shifter lever is moved. Must shifters use some sort of a key between the lever and the adjusting screw - either flats on the monting boss or a tabbed washer on the outer surface of the shifter, which fits in a slot on another plate keyed to the mounting boss. There are variations, the Simplex pattern (tab in a U-shaped slot) is the best because you can squeeze the slot tight and thus hold the washer completely immobile.

These shifters are different. They have a mounting screw and an adjusting nut, They use a tabbed washer, which fits into a slot on a plate which is pressed on to the screw, sandwiching the mounting band.

I found that the screws had become loose in the band, and would rotate a few degrees back-and-forth as the lever was moved. I silver-soldered the inner edges of the screws to the band and all was well.

However, if your screws are tight then it may be that the tab that fits in the slot has sufficient clearance to also allow such movement. If so I would peen the tab a little to widen it, that'd be easier than trying to make the slot shorter.
Disassembled, cleaned, and I see that as you say, there is play where the screw connects to the clamp-on band. More on the right (rear) shifter, as expected. The screw is still held from turning, but it's not tight.
So, silver-soldering could remove that play, but I have no experience with anything but electronic soldering.

My rear Nuovo Gran Sport derailleur recently failed due to crack in the housing. I found a replacement on Ebay. But it's not NOS, and clearly these components are aging out. Oh, and I turn 70 today, and am not anxious to cut short my cycling career with some goofy fall caused by equipment failure. So maybe it's time to buy some nice new friction shifters, and maybe even think about a newer derailleur. I'll preserve the retro look of the bike but feel confident and even a bit smug riding it around town.

Thanks to all for replies - I read every one and learned a few things.
Likes For jimh12345:
Old 09-08-21, 04:06 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Retrofrictions are great, but if you are on a budget the Suntour Power Shifters are very nice and infinitely more plentiful.