Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub removal / change / ID-Help?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 09:36 AM
rfelix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would really like to add some pictures of the parts I'm writing about, but the forum wouldnt let me, as I just registered here for help, I'll try to upload them later (?)
-->> Pictures: imgur . com/a/ROFbT2p

Hi everyone,
I ride a Rixe Montpellier Trekking Bike from 2015, I bought it because it has the highest possible stock framesize (70cm for my 206cm height) and I really love it.
In the last weeks, the freehub of the rearwheel sometimes got loose, so when I tried to pedal the cassette just turned free. I disassembled the rearwheel, and managed to remove the freehub body with a special tool I ordered for it. I had already changed the complete drivetrain last year, so I had the most tools for the removal.
The insides look really bad, loads of rust, I had to leave my bike outside in the last years for the most part.

Google didn't really show me much that looked like my parts, so I want to try my luck here.

My questions are:
What kind of freehub is this?
Can I just replace it with some Shimano Deore freehub?
Does anyone have a tip, on how to remove the rusted stuck part (inner race?) of the freehub, as it won't loosen to any of my attempts so far?
Should I try to replace the whole rearhub? I never assembled a new hub (putting in spokes etc) so far, and am not really motivated to do so...

My local bikeshop saw it and offered me a new complete rearwheel, which I would consider, if he had any in stock - which he hasnt because he didnt get any part shippings in the last time. Plus a spare freehub would cost 15-20€, a new wheel 120-150€...

The Info I have regarding the Bike: It is a Rixe Montpellier, 2014 / 2015 model, most of the drivetrain parts (cassette, derailieur, chain, shifters etc.) are Shimano, the Wheels are Rodi Airline Plus. On the rearhub itself I cant find any imprintings what manufacturer or product it could be.

The freehub with the cassette removed

The left inner part of the freehub which is rusted to the rear hub

Dissembled freehub parts

This exploded diagram shows pretty much the freehub I have, as far as I can see. I assume the stuck part is the part on the left with "inner race & pawls" written over it, but cant find any freehub parts like it

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by rfelix; 09-21-21 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Picture link added
Old 09-21-21, 10:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Put your pics on a hosting site like imgur.com and then just paste the share link in the plain text of your message. Delete the https:// and then put a space on either side of any . that is in the URL. Don't try to use any of the image linking tools in the editor.

As a noob your are also limited to five post in a day or something like that. So don't waste your posts on replies. You might can edit a previous post to get around that limitation. Don't know.

After 10 post, I think you'll get your leash removed.
Old 09-21-21, 10:16 AM
rfelix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
imgur . com/a/ROFbT2p

Thanks Iride01!
Old 09-21-21, 10:49 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
IF it's a Shimano hub, the model # would be very helpful, since Shimano probably has a pdf exploded view for it.

A Deore FH body may or may not fit. Different generations will have different spline patterns etc.
Old 09-21-21, 11:19 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
OP's pictures: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/22546814
Old 09-21-21, 06:50 PM
valdostabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also newly registered, here to learn what I can. I am a newish mechanic at LBS

What was the condition of the pawls? I didn't see them in the pictures, may have missed. Were the pawls/springs springy/bouncy or were they sticky/not bouncy? I've swapped paws/springs before simply because freehub was unable to removed, customer did not want to pay for and/or wait for entire wheel, and I did not feel like relacing a new hub. If the problem is pawls issue, which that is what it sounds like, then replacing those small parts may be the only option left. Try googling some shimano pawl replacements and compare to what you've got.
Old 09-21-21, 08:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Looking at the pictures you haven't removed the freehub, you've taken it apart.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old 09-22-21, 12:07 PM
rfelix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your answers everybody. I finally found out, it is a Quando Hub. But it seems it is too bad rusted on the inside to be changed, so at this moment I probably will order a new wheel.