Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-02-21, 04:51 AM
YellaFella

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7; Trek FX Sport 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I was watching a YouTube video of a ride this morning. The guy recording the ride and his riding buddy came to a red light at an intersection, barely slowed down, and rode right through the light. Fellow cyclists, we have to be better.

Don't be that cyclist, OK?

What do you think? Am I wrong or right? (As you'll see in the blog, I don't absolve drivers, who shoulder a much larger share of blame, IMO. But I feel like we have to own up to our issues).
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 03-02-21, 05:46 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
A cyclist once pooped in a bush. That is just nasty, yet idc.
Old 03-02-21, 05:54 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
I did not watch the video, but I will say that in my state it is actually legal for a cyclist to go through a red light or stop sign if it is apparent the intersection is clear. In my particular area there are intersections where I rarely need to stop for some of the stop signs. Then there are others that have no stop signals that I know I need to slow down or even stop at.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-02-21, 05:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts

BTW...There’s a forum for that:

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-02-21, 06:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
I regret even reading your original post… I’m certainly not going to your blog to read more of your rant.
Old 03-02-21, 06:24 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Why is it that with each of these discussions we get the "cyclists break the law" crap? Each and every time I drive I break the law. I can never recall being in a motor vehicle with anyone else who didn't break the law.

Let me ask this of the OP. Are cyclists endangering others when they break the law? What percentage of auto on bicycle crashes are the fault of the cyclist?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-02-21, 06:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Why is it that with each of these discussions we get the "cyclists break the law" crap? Each and every time I drive I break the law. I can never recall being in a motor vehicle with anyone else who didn't break the law.

Let me ask this of the OP. Are cyclists endangering others when they break the law? What percentage of auto on bicycle crashes are the fault of the cyclist?
1. It's a self righteousness thing that's a plague in all areas these days, not just with bikes and cars. But life in general. Forgive the religious language, but it is fitting, it just reminds me of "concerned with the specks in everybody else's eyes instead of the log in yours".

2. I ain't clicking on something that looks like blogger spam they're trying to spread. My laptop's nanny even flagged the link as "do you really want to go there?".
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 03-02-21, 06:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I actually stop at red lights, and stop signs. I know that's sort of weird but I think that blowing through intersections and not using arm signals is very dangerous ...to the cyclist. I was heading west in a bike lane and at a cross street a mountain bike coming off a hill blew through the stop sign on a blind corner and damn near hit me. I did not have a stop sign but had slowed, fortunately. Just be safe .
Old 03-02-21, 06:41 AM
YellaFella

As I said in the original post, the blog (it's not a video, BTW) was intended to encourage cyclists to take ownership of our own faults. As I also said in the original post, drivers are much more at fault than cyclists -- but we can't control that. All we can do is our best to be considerate and courteous on the road. If we do that, it can only help. Does it mean that drivers will start suddenly not being idiots? Of course not. But making them even angrier by doing stupid things on the road will only lead to worse outcomes.
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 03-02-21, 06:43 AM
YellaFella

To follow up on the blog itself -- it's not spam. It's simply a blog, my blog, about cycling. There's no advertising on the site. I'm not making money; I'm simply blogging about my cycling passion.
Old 03-02-21, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
And here is the place for your bloghttps://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s-forum/
Old 03-02-21, 06:56 AM
YellaFella

Thanks for the link!
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 03-02-21, 07:15 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
A cyclist once pooped in a bush. That is just nasty, yet idc.
Look bro I was at mile 50 of a centrury the next stop was ten miles from that bush. It was a now or never moment. I picked it up in one of them doggie bags and tied it to tree branch like everyone else does.

Had to ride the rest of the ride with one sock to.
Old 03-02-21, 07:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by YellaFella
As I said in the original post, the blog (it's not a video, BTW) was intended to encourage cyclists to take ownership of our own faults. As I also said in the original post, drivers are much more at fault than cyclists -- but we can't control that. All we can do is our best to be considerate and courteous on the road. If we do that, it can only help. Does it mean that drivers will start suddenly not being idiots? Of course not. But making them even angrier by doing stupid things on the road will only lead to worse outcomes.
You need to take ownership of your ridiculous post
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-02-21, 07:34 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I know that's sort of weird but I think that blowing through intersections and not using arm signals is very dangerous ...to the cyclist.
Change that to "can be." How do you define "blowing through." That wording is often used but there seems to be no consensus on what it means.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-02-21, 07:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Thanks for the link!
Did you come here to have a discussion or to promote your blog? I asked several important questions that went unanswered.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-02-21, 07:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

ABut making them even angrier by doing stupid things on the road will only lead to worse outcomes.
Specifically, what kind of stupid things?
Old 03-02-21, 07:42 AM
YellaFella

These questions are irrelevant to my point. My point is that we should take care of the things we can take care of. I've said now, multiple times, that drivers bear the brunt of the responsibility -- I'm not sure why that's being missed. But, again, it doesn't matter to my narrow topic. I feel like you're asking me to respond to arguments I'm not making here. Is that fair to say?
Old 03-02-21, 07:44 AM
YellaFella

Specifically, what kind of stupid things?
Things like breaking the law by blowing through red lights. Things like riding two abreast on roads when cars are waiting behind you, when you could ride single file and riding side-by-side isn't being done for safety reasons (if it is for safety reasons, then by all means do it -- cyclists have as much right to the road as drivers, but I believe we shouldn't abuse the privilege.)
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 03-02-21, 07:47 AM
YellaFella

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You need to take ownership of your ridiculous post
What's ridiculous about asking cyclists to be respectful, in the same way we want drivers to be? I continue to be a believer in the Golden Rule. Others disregarding it, IMO, doesn't justify cyclists doing the same.
Likes For YellaFella:
Old 03-02-21, 07:50 AM
YellaFella

Did you come here to have a discussion or to promote your blog? I asked several important questions that went unanswered.
Hmmm. Were you expecting instant answers, as if this were a live chat? Is it not a discussion if I answer an hour later?
Old 03-02-21, 08:05 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Things like breaking the law by blowing through red lights. Things like riding two abreast on roads when cars are waiting behind you, when you could ride single file and riding side-by-side isn't being done for safety reasons (if it is for safety reasons, then by all means do it -- cyclists have as much right to the road as drivers, but I believe we shouldn't abuse the privilege.)
in my state, where drivers are required by law to give cyclists 4 feet when passing (but few do), but are allowed to cross the double yellow in the process (something most drivers appear to be unaware of), riding two abreast is a safety maneuver. It forces drivers to do the right thing and go around you, rather than attempt to shave past you, which is what frequently happen to lone- or single file riders
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-02-21, 08:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
What's ridiculous about asking cyclists to be respectful, in the same way we want drivers to be? I continue to be a believer in the Golden Rule. Others disregarding it, IMO, doesn't justify cyclists doing the same.
What is ridiculous is your naïveté, which includes your belief that you have some special qualifications that anyone else should take heed of
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-02-21, 08:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

These questions are irrelevant to my point. My point is that we should take care of the things we can take care of. I've said now, multiple times, that drivers bear the brunt of the responsibility -- I'm not sure why that's being missed. But, again, it doesn't matter to my narrow topic. I feel like you're asking me to respond to arguments I'm not making here. Is that fair to say?
Your point seems to be that we should appease motorists. I don't see any reason to.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-02-21, 08:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

How do you define "blowing through" red lights? If the road is too narrow for a motorist to safely pass within the lane, then riding 2 abreast will allow the motorist to get around having spent less time in the oncoming lane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.