Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which solid full fenders do you like?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-10-21, 05:13 AM
Zas

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

I have been using different plastic clip-on fenders for years, most recently the SKS Raceblade. I´ve been thinking of getting some full-on fenders that stay on the bike pretty much permanently since I´m doing more commuting now. I do not care much about the weight, and in fact I want them to be as solid as possible since I hate adjusting them. The plastic lightweight fenders I´ve had have all been a bit too sensitive. I would love to hear what brands are the best out there nowadays.

I´m sure this has been discussed before but I could not find a recent thread.

My frame has all the necessary eyelets and I´m mostly using 35mm tires.

Old 04-10-21, 06:16 AM
Marylander

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I like the SKS longboards. They mount very solidly and keep just about everything off of you and the bike.
Likes For Marylander:
Old 04-10-21, 07:50 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
SKS fenders seem to be the industry standard. I've got them on my bike. They look nice, they work, and they're not too heavy.

If you want something really solid, Velo Orange has a full range of metal (aluminum alloy) fenders. Some of them are really pretty.
Old 04-10-21, 07:59 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Velo Orange. Just about everything else is too flexible/whippy and breaks.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 04-10-21, 09:04 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Having used fenders for decades, my vote is for metal. Actually, nothing has lasted longer than the steel fenders from my old Schwinn frame. And they're not all that heavy -- after all the steel can be fairly thin and still do the job because it gets a lot of its strength from its shape.
Old 04-10-21, 09:20 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Velo Orange stainless steel. No rattles, no rust, and you can bolt your tail light on.
Old 04-10-21, 03:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Another vote for Velo Orange; I like the hammered black ones. Be patient when installing, or have someone do it. They're a little tricky to get dialed in, but once you do they are silent, very secure, and stylish.

Old 04-10-21, 04:28 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Honjo metal fenders. Simply the best. Won't use anything else.
Old 04-10-21, 05:08 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

here are the VO’s
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 04-10-21, 06:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just a note that VO has some aluminum fenders on clearance right now for 50 bucks.
Old 04-10-21, 07:12 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I've seen the hammered Velo Orange fenders (plain aluminum)... they are very pretty. I've had SKS fenders on my road bike and my folding commuter bikes for years. They aren't as fancy looking, but they have been very durable and functional.

SKS fenders

SKS fenders
Old 04-10-21, 08:46 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 512 Posts
Yep velo orange or honjo. Honjo are considered even nicer than VO but are twice the work as they aren’t pre drilled. They’re also pricier. VO is as much fender quality as just about anyone will ever need.
Old 04-10-21, 10:06 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
While I would like to run metal fenders (VO, Honjo or otherwise), I stick with SKS Longboards due to the cost and the fact that I sometimes take the bus (or did, pre covid). The bus bike racks are much more amenable to plastic fenders for the front wheel clamp mechanism, since plastic returns to shape when compressed. At least that’s been my experience with my city’s transit system.

Just something to consider
Old 04-10-21, 10:37 PM
Zas

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all, sounds like the VO ones would be worth a try!
Likes For Zas:
Old 04-14-21, 07:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Honjo metal fenders. Simply the best. Won't use anything else.
If you are in the US, you can buy these from Rene Herse -- either their website or from a dealer. The Velo Orange fenders are pretty similar and cost less.

Bear in mind that either of these will require a more involved installation process - but the result is a rock-solid setup with good coverage.
Old 04-14-21, 09:04 PM
SarahCH

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wish we could get decent price velo orange in my country! The best ones I can find are the planet bike cascadia fenders
Old 04-14-21, 09:23 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I like my Planet Bike Cascadia fenders; light, sturdy, inexpensive, and they come with mud flaps.

Likes For Korina:
Old 04-15-21, 06:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
My plastic fenders broke after about 18 years (SKS predecessor company). Outraged at such a flimsy product, I bought metal fenders (from Velo Orange) to replace them. It took me about 12 hours over two days, with a week in between to order and receive a replacement strut, to get the stainless fenders mounted. I'm too enraged (or lazy) to do something about the hole in the rear fender I drilled in the wrong place.

I certainly hope these metal fenders last forever. Obviously I lack the knowledge and skill to put a pair on. I have learned one lesson: I bought a set of SKS fenders in case I need to replace another set of SKS fenders. Those I can put on in just over an hour.

FWIW, one contributor here noted that when he worked in a bike shop, fender installation was a time and materials job, rather than a fixed price effort. I've seen two shops put on SKS fenders in about the same hour it takes me. I could buy a new bike for the price of T&M on metal fenders with the same skill as I exhibited.
Old 04-15-21, 07:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
My plastic fenders broke after about 18 years (SKS predecessor company). Outraged at such a flimsy product, I bought metal fenders (from Velo Orange) to replace them. It took me about 12 hours over two days, with a week in between to order and receive a replacement strut, to get the stainless fenders mounted. I'm too enraged (or lazy) to do something about the hole in the rear fender I drilled in the wrong place.

I certainly hope these metal fenders last forever. Obviously I lack the knowledge and skill to put a pair on. I have learned one lesson: I bought a set of SKS fenders in case I need to replace another set of SKS fenders. Those I can put on in just over an hour.

FWIW, one contributor here noted that when he worked in a bike shop, fender installation was a time and materials job, rather than a fixed price effort. I've seen two shops put on SKS fenders in about the same hour it takes me. I could buy a new bike for the price of T&M on metal fenders with the same skill as I exhibited.
My shop charges $160 to install Honjo fenders, which is roughly what the fenders cost at retail (depending on model and features); they do cut the fee in half if the fenders are purchased from them. I was happy to go this route, since my shop had done me a real favor on another issue and I was looking for a way to reciprocate.

FWIW, the mechanic told me that it took him a few hours to install the fenders. That means it probably would've taken me a couple days, and I would've screwed it up anyway.
Old 04-16-21, 02:08 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I've had good luck with Planet Bike plastic fenders (commuting in Seattle). I think PB only makes metal fenders now, and they are supposed to be even more solid, but I haven't replaced the fenders on my bent since I have the velo for wet weather riding.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 04-17-21, 05:23 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 385 Posts
Timely post as I was just investigating fenders. I am a fair weather rider but was out in a light mist and decided to look into fenders too. Another question will be fender width as most give a pretty general sizing measurement. I have 700X35s which seems kinda in between sizes too.
Old 04-26-21, 08:28 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts

Another vote for VO. The tires are 700x32.
Old 04-28-21, 12:55 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 196 Posts
I use very simple to use SKS Bluemels, I love the way they can quickly be put back into proper position with the quick release sliding thing they use, I had a set of Planet Bike Cassidas on the touring bike that got crunched and those things was a pain in the arse to keep adjusted correctly, and they made a lot of noise, the Blumels you almost forget they're on the bike. But the sliding adjustable rails also prevents stuff like sticks getting wedged in between the tire and the fender and then either breaking the fender or in some rare instances locking up the wheel, instead the rails on the Bluemels are suppose to just slide preventing the lockup...supposedly.
Old 04-29-21, 05:28 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
@Zas since you're located in Northern Europe there are a couple of options:
  • SKS is a good option from Germany. Plastic but easy to get.
  • Velo Orange from the US has several nice aluminum versions and even some stainless steel ones.
  • Pelago from Finland has aluminum fenders that can be fitted to other bike models as well and make for a good fit as well. I would say they are comparable to Velo Orange
  • Gilles Berthoud from France has some excellent stainless steel fenders in both normal and extra long lengths.
  • Honjo from Japan makes several beautiful models but can be expensive to get your hands on.
  • Simworks from the US has even rarer models made by Honjo. Their hardware however is great and available separately.
Old 05-01-21, 07:41 PM
fredlord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I've had good luck with Planet Bike plastic fenders (commuting in Seattle). I think PB only makes metal fenders now, and they are supposed to be even more solid, but I haven't replaced the fenders on my bent since I have the velo for wet weather riding.
+1 for the plastic Planet Bike fenders. I've had them on two bikes for years and they've been rock solid. I didn't install them, however...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.