Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Too hot to ride

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Too hot to ride

Old 06-27-21, 08:16 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Too hot to ride

Here in portland it got to 105 yesterday and doe to get to 115 today. My wife got home around 2 and we wanted to ride the 6 miles to the river on our e tandem. most of the ride was on a bike path that tends to be cooler with all the vegetation. but getting there was bad my garmin hit a peak of 118 till we got on the path ands it got to 102 so much better. we went wading and cooled off and got our hair and jerseys wet. the ride home only peaked around 105. the river was 99 we were wobbly when we got there and wobbly when we got home. so we took showers and lives in our ac cooled bedroom. the front of our house peaked at 114 the shade 104. our house was 92 at 9pm. today is going to be worse. so we are doing all our rides this morning and will grab lunch at a Chinese place then live in the bedroom or visit our daughter they have some ac in their living room.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-27-21, 08:30 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
When it gets that hot, I just set up the trainer in my air conditioned room and Zwift.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-27-21, 08:35 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
When it gets that hot, I just set up the trainer in my air conditioned room and Zwift.
it was too much. if it was around 7 it would have been bad but ok. 90 actually feels better riding then walking. today its going to be worse so we will end up living in our bedroom. it does not get that hot here in portland usually.
Old 06-27-21, 08:54 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
Here in portland it got to 105 yesterday and doe to get to 115 today. My wife got home around 2 and we wanted to ride the 6 miles to the river on our e tandem. most of the ride was on a bike path that tends to be cooler with all the vegetation. but getting there was bad my garmin hit a peak of 118 till we got on the path ands it got to 102 so much better. we went wading and cooled off and got our hair and jerseys wet. the ride home only peaked around 105. the river was 99 we were wobbly when we got there and wobbly when we got home. so we took showers and lives in our ac cooled bedroom. the front of our house peaked at 114 the shade 104. our house was 92 at 9pm. today is going to be worse. so we are doing all our rides this morning and will grab lunch at a Chinese place then live in the bedroom or visit our daughter they have some ac in their living room.

(photos clipped for brevity)
Wow! The heat in the northwest is amazing. When it gets too hot in my little city (El Paso), I just head over to the local Planet Fitness and ride one of their stationary recumbents. However, occasionally I feel like riding through the heat, and it's pretty easy if I limit the time on the road and drink drink drink drink water. But as I age (I'm 68) that's getting more and more rare. Y'all take care of yourselves until it cools off a bit!!
Old 06-27-21, 09:02 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Wow! The heat in the northwest is amazing. When it gets too hot in my little city (El Paso), I just head over to the local Planet Fitness and ride one of their stationary recumbents. However, occasionally I feel like riding through the heat, and it's pretty easy if I limit the time on the road and drink drink drink drink water. But as I age (I'm 68) that's getting more and more rare. Y'all take care of yourselves until it cools off a bit!!
this was pretty unusual. we thought we would handle it but it was too bad. at 7 when the sun was down a bit it would have been better. even having assist at the max my heart rate was high for that little effort.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-27-21, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Drink lots of water, think about where shade is. If you feel chills running up your back then you might be about to experience heat exhaustion if you don't find a place to cool off fast.

I passed out from heat exhaustion just as I got to a shady part of the road and got off my bike. I had chills running up and down my back all the time I was riding to the shade. It was back when I started riding again for fitness back circa 2009 and we were having spells of temps over 100°F. It was also when I was stupid about hydration. Those spells have gotten less and less every year since then. And the last few we haven't even reached 100°F.

So all I can say is thanks for hosting the high temps for us. I'd rather not have them back!
Old 06-27-21, 11:21 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I love riding/training in the heat, especially on those long, straight brutally hot, shade-less roads, with the powerful Florida beating down on me

High-heat training is probably more beneficial than high-altitude training.

https://blog.athlinks.com/2017/08/01...lent-altitude/

“Research has found that there are many positive adaptations that the body makes in response to the heat, including increased sweat rate, increased blood plasma volume, reduced overall core temperature, increased oxygen delivery to the muscles, reduced blood lactate and increased skeletal muscle force,” explains running coach Angie Spencer, RN, owner at Marathon Training Academy. “All of these adaptations work together to make your body more efficient at cooling, which can pay off when temperatures start cooling down.”

“The good news for those who don’t train at altitude is that research shows that heat training may be even more beneficial,” assures Spencer. “The body is able to adapt to heat more quickly than altitude and heat training can make you better able to perform well in a variety of temperatures. And if you’re patient with the process, train consistently, and make recovery a priority it will pay big dividends.”
Old 06-27-21, 11:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
it was too much. if it was around 7 it would have been bad but ok. 90 actually feels better riding then walking. today its going to be worse so we will end up living in our bedroom. it does not get that hot here in portland usually.
When I was working in Florida a couple years ago, I did a little ride each Saturday... in the FL heat and humidity. I lived in an travel trailer at the time and always put water in the fridge, and turned on the AC before I rode. Generally the temp was in the 85-95 degree range with an RH that allowed you to "wring" water right out of the air. The rides were short, 10-15 miles, but always gratifying... and indeed, as long as I kept moving... it was "doable."

The moment I stopped, at a stop sign for instance... the sweat would pour off of me. When I finally got back to my RV at the end of the ride... I'd quickly lock up the bike and then dash into the cool trailer and open a refrigerated water bottle and wash off my face with cool water. Within 10 minutes or so, I'd feel "comfortable" again. But the fact that I did this every weekend and days off meant that I could tolerate that Florida heat much better.

Unusual weather like that which hit Portland yesterday doesn't give you time to build up your "heat immunity," and just feels relentless...
Old 06-27-21, 12:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by work4bike
I love riding/training in the heat, especially on those long, straight brutally hot, shade-less roads, with the powerful Florida beating down on me

even when the pavement makes it 118 degrees?
Old 06-27-21, 12:53 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by genec
When I was working in Florida a couple years ago, I did a little ride each Saturday... in the FL heat and humidity. I lived in an travel trailer at the time and always put water in the fridge, and turned on the AC before I rode. Generally the temp was in the 85-95 degree range with an RH that allowed you to "wring" water right out of the air. The rides were short, 10-15 miles, but always gratifying... and indeed, as long as I kept moving... it was "doable."

The moment I stopped, at a stop sign for instance... the sweat would pour off of me. When I finally got back to my RV at the end of the ride... I'd quickly lock up the bike and then dash into the cool trailer and open a refrigerated water bottle and wash off my face with cool water. Within 10 minutes or so, I'd feel "comfortable" again. But the fact that I did this every weekend and days off meant that I could tolerate that Florida heat much better.

Unusual weather like that which hit Portland yesterday doesn't give you time to build up your "heat immunity," and just feels relentless...
yes and it just started getting hot usually we don't have heat like this so early.
Old 06-27-21, 12:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I've gotten to the point where if the weather isn't PERFECT, I'm on my trainer. I got a KICKRcore Wahoo during the shutdown. It has totally spoiled me. Cool temps, no rain, no wind (other than fans that do not hurt me), and I can hammer non-stop and traffic free using a heart monitor as my judge. So long as the grid doesn't crash, I'm golden.

No sunscreen, no helmet, listen to loud music, watch cat videos, just put on shoes and shorts, flip a switch and go. And my chain NEVER gets dirty!

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-27-21 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-27-21, 01:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

as long as there is no Ice or snow on the ground I ride everyday. rain is no big deal. still rather ride in the rain then inside. that just sucks.
Old 06-27-21, 01:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I can understand your problems with high heat ridding. Your just not used to it. 105°F degree riding around central Texas is not unusual. The problems are getting water, air circulation, and sun protection during your ride. Loose cotton clothing, light weight long sleeves and pants, gloves, hat with neck protection. Ya gotta dress like your going to go pick in the fields. And ya gotta drink water like a summer time roofer.

Of course you know this.

Now try to get me ridding when the temps less than 50°F... No Way!!! Ha...
Old 06-27-21, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike

On the other hand, there's a pretty fine line between building up a tolerance and exceeding it, and the risks of crossing that line can be dire. Really should think long and hard before exerting yourself in air hotter than your core temp.
Old 06-27-21, 02:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Don't look at the temperature on your Garmin -- they often read much too high and it just discourages you.

What's the record high for Portland?
Old 06-27-21, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Pretty su​​​​re that's over the line!
Old 06-27-21, 02:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I've gotten to the point where if the weather isn't PERFECT, I'm on my trainer. I got a KICKRcore Wahoo during the shutdown. It has totally spoiled me. Cool temps, no rain, no wind (other than fans that do not hurt me), and I can hammer non-stop and traffic free using a heart monitor as my judge. So long as the grid doesn't crash, I'm golden.
New Orleans hot is the hottest. The sweat just won't evaporate in the humidity.
Old 06-27-21, 02:43 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's 101F right now in southern Nevada. I rode 45 minutes this morning when it was 89 degrees. The biggest factor is the humidity. It's 12% and maybe was a percent or two higher at 6 am when I started out. In that humidity you don't feel sweaty and you rarely get wet clothing. It is really nice at that time until the sun gets more direct. I've lived in places where riding hard in 85 degrees leaves you dripping. No thanks.

The temperature recorded by your device may be more affected by the color of the case and how much sun reaches the surface. I have a black wired computer that goes crazy if left in the direct sun.
Old 06-27-21, 03:32 PM
fooferdoggie 

it was somewhat in the shade on part of the ride. but the blacktop got hot right now the blacktop is 150 degrees according to my laser temp gun. hell our front door is 120 degrees. we tried to go to our Chinese restaurant its only 2 miles away my garmin showed 114 the whole ride. it was 102 when we let and 105 after we got back caused they were closed because of the heat.
Old 06-27-21, 03:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pretty su​​​​re that's over the line!
ya just checked pavement temp its 150 degrees. its 106 in the shade its only 2:30 its got a ways to go.
Old 06-27-21, 04:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

ya just checked pavement temp its 150 degrees. its 106 in the shade its only 2:30 its got a ways to go.
Sounds like an Arnold Palmer day!
Old 06-27-21, 04:25 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
118 degrees?!?...That's a cool spring day

On the other hand, there's a pretty fine line between building up a tolerance and exceeding it, and the risks of crossing that line can be dire. Really should think long and hard before exerting yourself in air hotter than your core temp.
Yeah, been there, done that....I'm 56, so hopefully I've learned all of life's lessons by now
Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-27-21, 04:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Have you done the fry the egg on the sidewalk bit yet?
Old 06-27-21, 05:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Have you done the fry the egg on the sidewalk bit yet?
no that's silly. of course it will cook. plus we don't have sidewalks (G) people make messes of sidewalks trying that. my heat gauge is good enough for me. just checked the pavement still 154. checked our front door the part I the sun is 192 the shade part is 130 its 106 in the shade.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 06-27-21 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-27-21, 05:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I did a century-plus ride from Eugene to Portland a few years ago when it was around 100°F. Whew, it was just HOT. One can survive as long as one can keep moving and keep drinking.

I had my Camelback, and 2 large bottles of water. I think I drained it 3 times. There was a point in the early afternoon that was rough.

Overall, one can survive the hot weather as long as one keeps moving.

They've lowered the forecast to about 109°F. here (peaking between 5:00 and 6:00 PM).

I thought about going for a ride, but decided not to. I was out and around the house earlier at about 103°F.

I don't use AC here. It was supposed to have hit about 70°F this morning, and I worked hard to try to get the hot air out and the cool air in. Will do the same tonight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.