Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Optimal tubeless 28mm tire pressure?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-21, 11:33 AM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I ride on Zipp 303 NSW tubeless disc rims with Schwalbe Pro 1 TLE 28mm tubeless tires, Stan's Race sealant.
My bicycle weighs in at ~15 pounds, and I weigh 155.
I run 70psi in the front tire and 75psi in the rear, and I am curious if you consider this optimal, or could my ride and/or rolling resistance be improved with different pressures?
Curious what pressure you use and how you like it?
Thanks.
Old 07-26-21, 11:43 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by LuMax
I ride on Zipp 303 NSW tubeless disc rims with Schwalbe Pro 1 TLE 28mm tubeless tires, Stan's Race sealant.
My bicycle weighs in at ~15 pounds, and I weigh 155.
I run 70psi in the front tire and 75psi in the rear, and I am curious if you consider this optimal, or could my ride and/or rolling resistance be improved with different pressures?
Curious what pressure you use and how you like it?
Thanks.
That sounds reasonable, but it's a surface-dependent issue. I'd probably go lower if there was lots of rough chipseal, for instance.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 07-26-21, 12:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I go anywhere from 65 to 80 psi depending what I plan to ride on. I weigh more than you.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-26-21, 12:27 PM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks HTupolev and Seattle Forrest.
The roads here are always mixed.
A typical ride will feature anything from new, silky-smooth asphalt to choppy, cracked, potholed, old pavement with lots of cracks. Minimal gravel, some chip seal.
Old 07-26-21, 12:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
You are probably in the ballpark. Maybe a smidge lower if wet and/or rougher pavement, a smidge higher if riding smooth dry roads.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-26-21, 12:50 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'd run 50-55 front and 70-75 rear, assuming 60/40 weight balance.

I'd run 55-60 front and 67-72 rear, assuming 55/45 weight balance.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-26-21, 01:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I use this as a gauge and then adjust as needed... I don't ride zip wheels, but its always been a good first start....

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-26-21, 02:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Try a dozen or so rides at one PSI. Then ride another dozen or so rides at another PSI. Then ride another dozen rides at some other PSI. Which felt better to you and left your legs feeling like they had more energy to ride more? Which does your data say that you did better times on?

That's your personalized optimum PSI for that road surface and tire. If you happen to get pinch flats, then your PSI is way too low for that riding surface regardless of how good it felt.
Old 07-26-21, 05:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I think you could probably go a bit lower at your weight. But I don’t think you are far off the mark. Some people run much lower front pressure in line with weight distribution, but I don’t personally like the way that feels when climbing steep hills. So I normally keep my front pressure just 5 psi less than the rear. I’m currently running 70/75 psi on 30c tubeless race tyres. But I’m a fair bit heavier than you at 175 lbs.
Old 07-26-21, 05:58 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Iride01
Try a dozen or so rides at one PSI. Then ride another dozen or so rides at another PSI. Then ride another dozen rides at some other PSI. Which felt better to you and left your legs feeling like they had more energy to ride more? Which does your data say that you did better times on?

That's your personalized optimum PSI for that road surface and tire. If you happen to get pinch flats, then your PSI is way too low for that riding surface regardless of how good it felt.
Pinch flats won’t be an issue with tubeless.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-21, 08:11 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
https://info.silca.cc/silca-professi...ure-calculator
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 07-27-21, 05:25 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
That, everything else above is a (educated) guess, LuMax .
Old 07-27-21, 05:36 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Badger6
That, everything else above is a (educated) guess, LuMax .
The SRAM/Zipp calculator linked to earlier in the thread is the best I've seen - and free. It's the only one that covers pretty much every parameter.
But even these calculators are educated guesses and not meant to be absolute. What they provide is a good starting point. You also need a good tyre pressure gauge to make any use of them!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-27-21, 05:48 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

The Silca calc is free (I never put my real email in). I've used the SRAM one, I cannot remember why I switched to using the Silca one...I think it was because Silva works off of measured width, rather than what the sidewall says. Either way, a calculator is key. And, as such, a calculation (if it is indeed calculating) is not a guess, but the returned result is definitely a starting point.
Old 07-27-21, 05:54 AM
GhostRider62

28mm nominal but 30.3 mm actual on my set.

Also depends on your roads and weight distribution. Frank Berto's chart is a good lower end pressure setting and they work on my roads
Old 07-27-21, 06:00 AM
PeteHski

The Silca calc is free (I never put my real email in). I've used the SRAM one, I cannot remember why I switched to using the Silca one...I think it was because Silva works off of measured width, rather than what the sidewall says. Either way, a calculator is key. And, as such, a calculation (if it is indeed calculating) is not a guess, but the returned result is definitely a starting point.
I agree. Just have to bear in mind that the calculation is an estimate based on various parameters and assumptions. For example they have to make assumptions about your tyre compound and construction. It's worth checking your tyre manufacturer's pressure guide too, as the better ones have detailed recommendations for their specific tyre variants.
Old 07-27-21, 06:01 AM
GhostRider62

Make sure your pressure gage is accurate, many are wildly off. I have one that is over 10 psi wrong
Old 07-27-21, 09:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Originally Posted by Iride01

Pinch flats won’t be an issue with tubeless.
Yeah, I actually think I came back in a added that after I got off my soap box. My bad!

So lets just change that to something like if your tire beads or rims are getting torn up or the tire burps air when on twisty paths or roads, then you might have too low a tire pressure.

Will that work? I imagine eventually if I ride long enough I might be tubeless, so I'd like to have that stuff figured out when I get there.
Old 07-27-21, 10:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Either way, a calculator is key.
No it's not. Keping track of what you're using and then adjusting to suit from there is key. A calculator is just a calculator.

And, as such, a calculation (if it is indeed calculating) is not a guess
If you're trying to say that the actual process of doing math is not guessing...at some theoretical level I would entirely disagree with you. Algebraic calculations are done using formulas that others.... wait for it... guessed at as a good approximation of what they believed they observed as ideal using their own preset biases of what they think should happen. Having made pressure calculation formulas that I have also posted on this forum well over a decade ago I can tell you that all the formulas are guesses at some level. It is after all a guess of what we "think" will "work well" for you.

but the returned result is definitely a starting point.
As are all pressure recommendations: a starting point. We don't all ride on the same saddle because...well...we are all different. tire pressure is the same. Considering how much real world pressures will vary with respect to a recommended starting pressure (not uncommon to see it vary by 15%-40% in many cases) it really does point out that even though they have nice web pages and claim to have a lot of time and "research" (which btw is simply a bunch of bike nerds comparing things with their friends at work after doing field "testing") they are actually just... guesses. Guesses made through the filter of a lot of experience and feedback but guesses nonetheless.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-27-21, 10:32 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

For you Psimet2001 and many others, like me, who have a lot of experience (meaning lots of saddle time)...I completely agree with you.

But, when someone rolls in here and says I weigh X (no mention the bike) and I'm riding on tires xx mm wide (no mention of tire). I always point them to a calculator for a starting point because any other advice off of the incomplete data they provided is a WAG. No idea if they're riding board stiff Schwalbe Marathons or Gatorskins or a nice supple Vittoria. No idea they're riding a 8kg gravel rocket ship or a 22kg tourer loaded out for a four week epic in the Alps. No way to give even a good stating point, maybe some opinions, sure.

At least with a caclulator the guess the user gets is somewhat scientific, and therefore more SWAG, and in reality is a much better starting point. Mea Culpa if I let it be thought that if a calculator says run the pressure at Y thats what it should be. FTR, Silca tells me to put my gravel tires around 42psi...I've never run them higher than 36, except on the first ride fro about 5 minutes. It was a good starting point...so there's that.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 07-27-21, 10:32 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
No it's not. Keping track of what you're using and then adjusting to suit from there is key. A calculator is just a calculator.

If you're trying to say that the actual process of doing math is not guessing...at some theoretical level I would entirely disagree with you. Algebraic calculations are done using formulas that others.... wait for it... guessed at as a good approximation of what they believed they observed as ideal using their own preset biases of what they think should happen. Having made pressure calculation formulas that I have also posted on this forum well over a decade ago I can tell you that all the formulas are guesses at some level. It is after all a guess of what we "think" will "work well" for you.

As are all pressure recommendations: a starting point. We don't all ride on the same saddle because...well...we are all different. tire pressure is the same. Considering how much real world pressures will vary with respect to a recommended starting pressure (not uncommon to see it vary by 15%-40% in many cases) it really does point out that even though they have nice web pages and claim to have a lot of time and "research" (which btw is simply a bunch of bike nerds comparing things with their friends at work after doing field "testing") they are actually just... guesses. Guesses made through the filter of a lot of experience and feedback but guesses nonetheless.

You have to start from somewhere and the online calculators are a good place to make that start from. But it is important to realise they are not set in stone and in fairness most of them even state this e.g. on the sram calculator "⚠ Disclaimer - This pressure guide is a starting point recommendation and further refinements are encouraged to find the right pressure for any given setup."
Old 07-27-21, 10:40 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

But, when someone rolls in here and says I weigh X (no mention the bike) and I'm riding on tires xx mm wide (no mention of tire). I always point them to a calculator for a starting point because any other advice off of the incomplete data they provided is a WAG.
Let me also be clear...the OP did not do that.
Old 07-27-21, 11:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
FWIW, I believe that that at least for the Silca calculator, the returned values are based on a lot of actual 'real world' testing. Sure, every possible iteration of weight, road surface, tire width, etc wasn't tested, so likely a good chunk of values interpolated. But, to imply that all of it is just theoretical guessing is a bit extreme IMO.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-27-21, 12:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
FTR, Silca tells me to put my gravel tires around 42psi...I've never run them higher than 36, except on the first ride fro about 5 minutes. It was a good starting point...so there's that.
I do like the Silca one if you're going to use one... but to help illustrate what we are talking about - even your seemingly small adjustment from 42 to 36 is over a 15% change from their recommendation. I posit that at that point anyone with some experience can simply guess a pressure and get someone within the same range of 15%-20%. In other words I fear we have put these calculators on too high of a pedestal. Absolutely a great starting point ... but as valuable as any experienced rider's guess.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-27-21, 12:38 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

To arrive at the number that was ~15% lower, I had to ride it after getting the "recommended" pressure. Moreover, despite hundreds of thousands of kms all over the world on all sorts of bikes, and all sorts of tires (type, brand, size), my initial guess was even higher than Silca. I am putting the calculators on the pedestal they belong: find the best starting point for air pressure. I also prefer it because it's simpler. The SRAM calculator asks for a lot more info, which gives an impression of granular precision which it cannot deliver, exactly to your point, Psimet2001 .
Likes For Badger6:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.