Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bruce Gordon toe clips. Who’s riding them?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 02:33 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts

I see they’re offered in a standard size as well as a boot size.

I’m interested in the standard size M for shoe sizes 10 to 11.5

If you’re riding BG clips, how’s the fit? Do they comply nicely with sneakers and other street shoes?

Do you like them over all? Worth the money?

Last edited by deux jambes; 08-16-21 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-15-21, 02:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes

If you’re riding BG clips, how’s the fit? Do they comply nicely with sneakers and other street shoes?

I had never seen these before, seem a way bit pricey.

I would strongly consider MKS wire and half clips before plunking down for those.
Old 08-16-21, 10:02 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by merziac
I had never seen these before, seem a way bit pricey.

I would strongly consider MKS wire and half clips before plunking down for those.
But they’re friggin’ gorgeous!

Also, I’m trying to remember when frugality had anything to do with this hobby.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 08-16-21, 10:12 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
The picture on the website shows them being used with Keens, and those shoes don't have a tiny, ahem, footprint. I would guess they work fine with a range of shoes.

FWIW, I have MKS and KKT half clips on a couple of bikes, and I love half clips. They help position your foot and have a degree of foot retention, but it's easy to remove your feet when you need to. I had them on the two bikes I used for daily commuting (one of which I recently sold the frame, hence the past tense).
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 08-16-21, 11:50 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
But they’re friggin’ gorgeous!

Also, I’m trying to remember when frugality had anything to do with this hobby.
There's obviously a spectrum. Even just within the reliable commuter space, there's everything ranging from Deore cranksets to White Industries. Both will last for many thousands of miles, but the White Industries is decidedly not frugal, but also friggin gorgeous.

I know you know all of this, and I know I am being too serious about this (I'm blaming Monday morning) but I don't like mention of bikes as just a hobby that's not frugal and inaccessible for someone who can't afford high-zoot parts. Lots of folks out there putting down lots of miles and just enjoying their bikes even though they might be parts bin 80s mountain bikes, for example.
Old 08-16-21, 12:48 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Ohh look something I’ll need to buy before Christmas for my BG 😂
Old 08-16-21, 01:17 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts

Gotta wonder if they'd cause pressure point pain being just a narrow contact area like that?

I've got several long trips on the Guv'nor up to 40 miles with these leather wrapped half clips and don't even notice them. Super comfy yet effective.

Old 08-17-21, 11:01 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by noobinsf
The picture on the website shows them being used with Keens, and those shoes don't have a tiny, ahem, footprint. I would guess they work fine with a range of shoes.

FWIW, I have MKS and KKT half clips on a couple of bikes, and I love half clips. They help position your foot and have a degree of foot retention, but it's easy to remove your feet when you need to. I had them on the two bikes I used for daily commuting (one of which I recently sold the frame, hence the past tense).
I noticed that they had used Keens to promote the clips. I just wasn't sure if that photo utilized the standard clips or the "boot" version. Taking a second look, I saw the small text in the photo signifying that they were in fact the latter.

I've always struggled with any traditional spring steel clips. I've struggled with quill pedals for that matter. I've got a wide footprint and typically were shoes with a tall toe profile. I've had too many awkward moments, and unsafe close calls with regular pedal/cage setups to care to keep going the same route.

I've got a pair of SR SP-11 platforms coming in the mail, and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Bruce Gordons. Here's hoping that my pedal woes are finally over!

Splurging on the BGs wasn't too hard a decision as I couldn't feel as confident that MKS, KKT, or even VO half clips would accommodate my needs. And to top it off, the bike in question is my Eisentraut Limited. The Bruce Gordon connection just seemed all the more appropriate. You know, I've had that build torn down for several months, and was planning to sell the frame. But I finally got around to seeing your thread on your own Limited, and was reinspired to keep mine. Probably a few weeks out from putting it back on the road. Any progress with yours?
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 08-17-21, 11:20 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by tricky
There's obviously a spectrum. Even just within the reliable commuter space, there's everything ranging from Deore cranksets to White Industries. Both will last for many thousands of miles, but the White Industries is decidedly not frugal, but also friggin gorgeous.

I know you know all of this, and I know I am being too serious about this (I'm blaming Monday morning) but I don't like mention of bikes as just a hobby that's not frugal and inaccessible for someone who can't afford high-zoot parts. Lots of folks out there putting down lots of miles and just enjoying their bikes even though they might be parts bin 80s mountain bikes, for example.
I really appreciate boutique and cottage industry products as I suspect many of us do. High end production stuff too. I've mostly steered away from that niche so far however. Not so much for choice but rather out of necessity. I've enjoyed some upper level stuff mind you, though its mostly been procured though ardent *frugal hunting, or the kindness and generosity of others.

That said, you make valid points. All of which I agree with. I hesitated to use the term "hobby" because I view cycling more as a lifestyle. I don't necessarily see building C&V bikes as an equivalent to cycling however. In the end, I chose to comment on frugality as more of a friendly tease aimed at merziac than any type of raised nose statement on a person's financial privilege or lack of one.

I appreciate your feedback, and didn't take it as any criticism. Just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings that may have arose for anyone who might click this thread in the future.

My dad's philosophy around hot rod classic cars in an age, and environment that seemed to promote ultra expensive and often exotic upgrades was "run what ya brung" A low buck, practical approach. Enjoy what you can within your means. Nothing more is needed to enjoy the road. Same with bikes imho.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 08-17-21, 11:23 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Ohh look something I’ll need to buy before Christmas for my BG 😂

If the need is legit 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 08-17-21, 11:26 AM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Gotta wonder if they'd cause pressure point pain being just a narrow contact area like that?
Good question. I don’t anticipate so, but will find out soon enough. And will report back.

Gorgeous build by the way!
Old 08-17-21, 12:18 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Didn't Bruce Gordon pass on, and how did that impact his company? Just wondering.
If I’m not mistaken it’s his son who is running the company now. Anyhow, communication from the business via email has been a pleasure. And I just received a tracking number for an order placed yesterday. Couldn’t comment to the impact, if any, beyond that.
Old 08-17-21, 12:20 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
But I finally got around to seeing your thread on your own Limited, and was reinspired to keep mine. Probably a few weeks out from putting it back on the road. Any progress with yours?
Thanks for the shout out! I've been documenting the progress on my thread, and I'm taking my time with the color coat for the repaint, only partially by choice. I had a few glorious days to myself and made a lot of progress on this and my two other active projects, but since then have stalled now that life is back to a normal rhythm. I need to wet sand the sloppy sprayed color coat (I either mixed the paint insufficiently or failed to warm it enough, or both), and then I'll try to brush on the rest to a good state. I've been tempted to build it and ride it as is, since the main point of the rattle can job was to stop the rust, but I will see it through to a decent finish and decals.

Glad to see you're keeping the Traut and getting it back on the road. I loved your build before, so I'm curious what you'll do next with it.

Last edited by noobinsf; 08-17-21 at 12:29 PM.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 08-17-21, 01:29 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I really appreciate boutique and cottage industry products as I suspect many of us do. High end production stuff too. I've mostly steered away from that niche so far however. Not so much for choice but rather out of necessity. I've enjoyed some upper level stuff mind you, though its mostly been procured though ardent *frugal hunting, or the kindness and generosity of others.

That said, you make valid points. All of which I agree with. I hesitated to use the term "hobby" because I view cycling more as a lifestyle. I don't necessarily see building C&V bikes as an equivalent to cycling however. In the end, I chose to comment on frugality as more of a friendly tease aimed at merziac than any type of raised nose statement on a person's financial privilege or lack of one.

I appreciate your feedback, and didn't take it as any criticism. Just wanted to clear up any misunderstandings that may have arose for anyone who might click this thread in the future.

My dad's philosophy around hot rod classic cars in an age, and environment that seemed to promote ultra expensive and often exotic upgrades was "run what ya brung" A low buck, practical approach. Enjoy what you can within your means. Nothing more is needed to enjoy the road. Same with bikes imho.
In hindsight I think I was just using your offhand comment (turns out we are pretty aligned in how we think about bikes, run what you brung!) as an opportunity to opine on a topic I am passionate about when in reality no one really asked. Given that, I appreciate your thoughtful comment and reply! Also glad you didn't take it as criticism since that wasn't my intent.

And regarding the original topic, those toe clips look really nice! I may be a zealot for inclusivity in bikes, but have been splurging on more and more fancy parts given an uptick in disposable income in the past couple years. I think I would still go for the MKS half clips since I've used them, like them and they look nice, but now you've got me looking at his Rock and Roll 650b tires now that I've converted my CX bike to 650b and may need a knobby tire if I decide to do a CX race or two this year.

Last edited by tricky; 08-17-21 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For tricky: