Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Denmark - Circumsomething

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Denmark - Circumsomething

Old 08-23-21, 09:28 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Denmark - Circumnavigation Report

Initial plan: start in Copenhagen and follow the national bike route south, then west and then north and then take the interior ancient route and then cross back via the islands again
Final execution: started in Copenhagen, followed the national bike routes pretty much all the way around but instead of using the ancient route we followed the northeast coast. Best described in a final Strava route track here:

In the subsequent posts I will try to break the tour down by day and also add maps for each day. Truth be told after I uploaded all of the days it got really overwhelming to post it all here. I have more photos. My descriptions got shorter as I added days after days of this trip I was overwhelmed by the posting so I will add things to here over time. Feel free to ask questions. I will gladly anser.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-24-21 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 09:47 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Day 1.

62 Miles

We woke up in the airport hotel, packed up our stuff and headed out, first to bike shops to buy some parts that were damaged during air flight transport (THANKS AIRLINES!), then to start our tour out of the city following the east coast due south. The weather was sunny, with clouds. We quickly discovered what seems to be a trademark Danish sunny weather...You get occasional bursts of rain. We got soaked once and then rained on about 4 times in short bursts.

Leaving Copenhagen to follow along the sea inlet to the east coast bridge

Stopped in Koge. It was Saturday at noon and the town was sleepy and quiet.

Vallo castle. The restaurant was closed to a wedding. We quickly started learning that most reliable sources of food will be gas station or town grocery stores.

We rode mild rolling hills via sleepy villages, tree groves and farm fields all day until we reached our first campground by the sea: Rodvig Camping. Nice campground by sandy beach. Facilities were clean, restaurant was closed but the campground store was open.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 10:25 AM
PedalingWalrus

Day 2. 67 Miles

Woke up, showered and ambushed the campground store for fresh pastries and coffee. Then set out, following more smorgasbord of nice straw roof vacation homes and farmland, over very windy bridge, short ferry ride, a nice lunch at the ferry town and finally to a campground at Ulslev Beach

Stubbekobing

Ferry and a step back in time

Lunch

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 10:44 AM
PedalingWalrus

Day 3. 60 miles

On this day we completed traversing the south eastern shore of Denmark and followed the southern coast of what the route markers referred to as: Ostseekyste i.e. Eastern coast. I am not sure what the direction has to do with but most likely has to do with the location of the Baltic Sea corner between Rostock, Rodby and Naaskov. On this day we got a consistent headwind and traversed about 50% on gravel. It is worth noting that each day we did get a significant portion of gravel so a gravel bike or a touring bike with wider tires would be ideal for this trip.

We ended up at a free 3-shelter campsite, sharing the shelters with a pair from France and Holland and a two pairs of Italians.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:18 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 4. 83 miles with ferries

We also rode by a small chateau and on a whim decided to ride in - our luck - we stumbled upon the only (allegedly) microbrewery in Denmark - Krenkerup. The beer was great on this hot day.

On this day we also took the ferry to the island of Aero. What a gem. We blew through the island trying to make another ferry on the other end only to miss it by about 10 minutes. We ended up checking to a campground and enjoyed a beautiful sunset with pastoral views.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:27 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 5. 84 miles

We took the first and only all electric ferry from Aero to Fynshav. Then we rode a mixture of pavement and singletrack to Padborg where we were stopped by real bonafide Tour de France level bike race. Tour Flanders or something like that...I don't know. We then continued rather solitary trek along the German border almost all the way to the West Coast of Denmark. In the town of Tondor we found a free leanto shelter where we spent the night
Old 08-23-21, 12:32 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 5. 84 miles

We took the first and only all electric ferry from Aero to Fynshav. Then we rode a mixture of pavement and singletrack to Padborg where we were stopped by real bonafide Tour de France level bike race. Tour Flanders or something like that...I don't know. We then continued rather solitary trek along the German border almost all the way to the West Coast of Denmark. In the town of Tondor we found a free leanto shelter where we spent the night

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:40 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 6. 76 Miles

From Tondor we hit the West Coast. This is where we expected to get the wind in our back and we were NOT disappointed. Glorious tail wind propelled us through fantastic hobbit land interspersed with winding gravel. This is probably the best gravel I have been on in my life. Absolutely magical.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:44 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 7. 74 miles

We continued mostly tail wind ride through marvelous gravel and coastal vistas and surf spots. West Coast is where it's at in Denmark IMHO

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:48 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 8. 89 miles

More glorious single track with wooded gravel roads

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:06 PM.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 08-23-21, 01:13 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 9. 76 Miles

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 01:18 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 10.

We reached the northernmost tip of Denmark and thus completed the West Coast

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 01:22 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 11. 68 Miles

We headed south along the eastern coast

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 01:31 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 12. 81 Miles

We made it all the way to Aarhus.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 01:38 PM
PedalingWalrus

Day 13. 84 Miles

Made it to Copenhagen

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 08-23-21 at 02:17 PM.
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 08-23-21, 02:07 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Please tell me who makes your tents.
Old 08-23-21, 02:20 PM
PedalingWalrus

Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Old 08-23-21, 03:27 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Thanks for the info. It looks like the four person with the half insert with floor, will be just right for me and my bicycle.
Old 08-23-21, 04:35 PM
PedalingWalrus

Yes. I can fit my bicycle in. It sets up really easy and fast. I snap the insert in separately after the outer is pitched.. you can pack the insert in dry to keep it neat if you need to pitch in subsequent rainy days
Old 08-24-21, 06:18 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
A lot of fun to see and read.
A lot of long km days, but I guess that's a real side bonus of going light like you do.
thanks for taking the time to put it down, and yes daily journaling is time consuming....
Likes For djb:
Old 08-24-21, 10:51 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
It looks like you had a good ride. The photos are very good, and really adds in telling the story.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-01-21 at 10:13 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 08-29-21, 10:04 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Looks like it was a great trip but no way I could do those long days consecutively. It looks like we have the same bike, Co-Mo Divide w/ Pinion though your handlebars look custom. I'm envious of your kickstand-mind telling me the model? Thanks again for the post.
Old 08-30-21, 03:44 AM
PedalingWalrus

I don’t really know the brand or model name of the kickstand and as of now the bike is still in the packed box in the trunk of my car 😄 I plan to ship it to california tomorrow and I fly there in 2 weeks.

you may have to wait a little but I will not forget to reply when I know
Old 08-30-21, 07:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Hey PW, speaking of box, what part was damaged on your or your buddies bike when you flew over? I forgot to ask.
Old 08-30-21, 08:09 AM
PedalingWalrus

I got a bent rear spoke and the wheel looked like it could use trueing during the ride.

My friend had a bent brake rotor and his rim had a gash/crack in it. We weren't sure if it would hold for the tour but he completed his tour with the damaged rim without any issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.