Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Reduce a newbie's packing list

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Reduce a newbie's packing list

Old 09-07-21, 06:03 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheeseftw
Here's the tent I got. What I'm worried about is that when it's raining, I can't open the tent (or leave it open) because it'll rain straight inside the tent. I'd like to at least have a little space for me to sit outside without getting wet while I'm in camp, that's why I want the tarp for cover. What do you guys think? Maybe you have better solutions?
Sounds like your looking for a way to make a vestibule for your tent. Assuming you don't want to spend the bucks to get a tent that has one already (I completely understand), you could watch REI or Camp'mor for something like a footprint for a 2 man tent $10 ~ $15. They sell $80 footprints as well - that's crazy though!

With some trial and error you can try to use the footprint as a vestibule cover. You have to put some thought in where you can tie off the corners of the footprint. For example, tie off two corners using the tent stakes at the back of your tent, and the other two corner get tied to something the same height as the top of the tent - picnic table or nearby trees.

Hopefully that make sense or you can picture what I'm typing about.

cheers
Old 09-07-21, 10:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I've never carried/used any of the three in a patch kit. Care to elaborate on their use?
I am a slow solo rider on torn up asphalt roads in central Texas. Time is not an issue on my rides so when I get a flat I just fix it there. I use the small REMA or SUNLITE patch kits. Although many people successfully use stick on patches I have not gotten along well with them. The frequency of my flats has been vastly reduced since going to Continental Touring tires. They are a little heavy but really ride well and are resistant to everything but Texas Mesquite.

Added to my small patch kit is:
*Tooth Pick - It's just good to have instead of searching for a small stick to mark the hole when you finally find it. There is a technique where you can use Super Glue on the end of the tooth pick to fill in a hole in a tube. I have never done this but have seen a few Youtubes on it and it appears to be plausible.

*Super Glue - Of course it has many uses in a pinch but mostly it is just in case my small unopened tube of Vulcanizing Cement is dried out.

* Razor Blade - Many uses but mostly for trimming down tube seams and resizing patches.
I also add to the little kit:

* Sand Paper, for evening out the tube surface.
* Pads, I used to put in a couple of alcohol pads in but they always dried up. Now I just clean the tube with Simple Green that has been dried onto the pads.
* Valve, and valve stem puller if Shradder (Never had to use them)
Also... If I am going on a long or overnight ride (which I no longer am able to do) I take an EXTRA TUBE for sure...
Old 09-07-21, 10:31 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
...Good rain jacket, rain pants, possibly shoe covers... When riding, I also like a rain cover for my helmet. My helmet has a visor, the rain cover over the helmet and over the visor keeps the rain from running down my forehead into my eyes... My rain jacket has a hood but I never use a hood on the bike, I wanted the hood only for campsite use.
Rain protection... Yep... I can see the need that's for sure. It goes to illustrate how equipment needs change with your terrain and latitude. In west Texas there were times I wish I had brought an Umbrella. Not for the rain but for the sun... Ha. In Florida a tent might be more for mosquito protection than weather. Water becomes a real issue on the back roads. It's hard to get light when your packing 11 kilos 24# of water.