Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike/Barge tours in Europe?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 07:11 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts

I'm considering heading to Europe next year for my first bike tour in too long. At this point, I'm thinking of 7-10 days self-guided tour in the Netherlands, Germany, or Austria. The classic Danube trip is high on my list of possibilities, and a barge as a floating hotel sounds appealing.

But when I start trying to Google, I find many different front companies that all seem to funnel back to a handful of actual vessels. I'd love to hear from folks who have actually made similar trips to find out what companies they made arrangements through and how it worked out for them.
Old 09-14-21, 09:44 AM
bikefriday

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez Pro, 2007 Specialized S Works E5, 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
We did a Bike N Barge down the Danube from Passau to the Iron Gate back in 2019. Loved it...accommodations weren't the finest on the boat, but for the amount of time you spend on there, it was OK. The food was great, and all the staff and guests were amazing. The trip was well planned, organized, and went off without too many hitches. Unfortunately, we didn't get all the way to the Iron Gate due to low water levels (not unusual at that time of year - late Sept). The trip was arranged through Boatbiketours and had to be booked about a full year in advance. We spent a week ahead of the tour in Dubrovnik, then the 2 week Bike N Barge, then another week in Czech / Germany / Switzerland before returning home to Canada. Something to keep in mind, sometimes the trips are governed by water levels in the Danube...if they are too high then the riverboats can't get under some of the bridges, if the water levels are too low - no go. That's why we picked a late Sept. start. Even though we booked with Boatbiketours, all the material on the boat - bike bags, map books, etc, was labelled Rad Reisen. Now that we've completed one trip, we would do another, and we learned that the bicycling network in Europe is extensive and well marked - meaning that you could do this on your own either camping, or moteling / BNB'ing. Hope this helps!
Old 09-14-21, 10:18 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by jeneralist
I'm considering heading to Europe next year for my first bike tour in too long. At this point, I'm thinking of 7-10 days self-guided tour in the Netherlands, Germany, or Austria. The classic Danube trip is high on my list of possibilities, and a barge as a floating hotel sounds appealing.

But when I start trying to Google, I find many different front companies that all seem to funnel back to a handful of actual vessels. I'd love to hear from folks who have actually made similar trips to find out what companies they made arrangements through and how it worked out for them.
We did a bike and barge with Vermont Bicycle Tours in 2012. I’m not big on group tours but this one was bearable and even enjoyable. The group was small(ish) at 16 people, the “barge” was roomy enough with Lutheran church camp kind of rooms (2 single beds per room) but the food was excellent. The guides were knowledgeable and personable.

One of the things I liked about the riding was that they give us cue sheets with distance (in kilometers) and turns in the morning. Then they turned us loose. One of the two guides rode sweep and the other one drove a sag wagon but they didn’t set any pace or require us to ride together. I got lost a couple of times because I was way out in front and took wrong turns but it was fairly easy to find my way back. I would have liked a map but the cue sheets worked.

We did see other tours where there was a mother duck out front and a father duck in the back and they rode at the pace of all the other little ducks in the middle. They were also riding what looked like ride share bikes. That would have driven me crazy. I don’t know how you would ask if a tour company has that kind of requirement but just be aware that there are companies like that out there.

Overall, I enjoy it and we are looking into another one for Germany. That’s saying a lot for me because I usually tour for weeks on end by myself.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-14-21, 11:12 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
In June, 2017 me wife and I and some friends did a bicyclist-only boat trip from Passau to Budapest and back in one week. There was biking every day but no connected in any way. The boat would move, we would ride, and then either meet the boat in the next place or it would wait for us somewhere along the way. It was my first week on a boat and it was enjoyable. I prefer bike touring solo, but having a cabin for a week and doing some riding while someone else makes me food wasn't so bad.

I wrote a review of my trip, with a few photos, if you want more details, including the company and boat we used.
Old 09-17-21, 08:54 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
In June, 2017 me wife and I and some friends did a bicyclist-only boat trip from Passau to Budapest and back in one week. There was biking every day but no connected in any way. The boat would move, we would ride, and then either meet the boat in the next place or it would wait for us somewhere along the way. It was my first week on a boat and it was enjoyable. I prefer bike touring solo, but having a cabin for a week and doing some riding while someone else makes me food wasn't so bad.

I wrote a review of my trip, with a few photos, if you want more details, including the company and boat we used.
Good review on your website! Thanks for the link. I've biked the Danube (self-supported) several times and have always wondered about the bike-boat experience.
Old 09-21-21, 04:42 PM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
We did an 8-day bike/barge tour in Sep 2016 through Belgium and Holland. The tour began in Bruges, Belgium, travelled through Antwerp and finished in Amsterdam. The barge was very comfortable, with twelve cabins, each with two twin beds and a private bath (head) below the main deck. Our tour coincided with a European heat wave and it was a bit sticky at night as the interior spaces were not air conditioned. The crew consisted of a captain, chef, and deck hand, and all three pitched in to serve meals, provide cocktails, etc. We had a tour guide who accompanied us, but was not part of the crew. Our group consisted of six couples and we got along well with the other six couples who were also travelling on the tour. Daily routine was to wake up, enjoy breakfast on the barge, make our lunches (provided), then set off on the day's ride. Meanwhile the barge would relocate and we would return to the new moorings later in the afternoon, in time for a shower or canal swim then cocktails and dinner on the barge. Sometimes the barge travelled while we were aboard, then we rode, which provided nice scenery and change of pace. The country and waterway scenery in Belgium and Holland was beautiful

Daily riding distances were 40-60 km, relatively flat canal paths and rural roads. Bicycles were typical European touring bikes, heavy but quite fine for the terrain. Our tour was guided, which was fine for us, as we had a mix of abilities and fitness in the group, but it was a bit constraining at times. We were afforded plenty of opportunities to stop, rest, and sightsee and the tour guide shared her local knowledge. We now prefer self-guided tours which require more planning, but allow greater flexibility (in fact, we just completed a 12-day self-guided tour of Ireland's Atlantic coast with two of the couples from the 2016 tour and we had a wonderful time!)

Prices were very reasonable at the time. Certainly less expensive than staying in hotels and dining out every night. We used a small U.S. tour operator, Van Gogh Tours, and we thought they did a very good job of communicating with us and delivering as promised. I would use them again. Website: https://vangoghtours.com/

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your tour!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bruges to Amsterdam tour.pdf (184.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-14-21, 07:45 AM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Update -- My occasional touring partner and i have decided that for 2022, we'll be staying closer to home. (Maybe explore the Empire State trail in New York?) Thanks for all the suggestions, and I may get back to you with an update in 2023!
Old 11-14-21, 09:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by jeneralist
Update -- My occasional touring partner and i have decided that for 2022, we'll be staying closer to home. (Maybe explore the Empire State trail in New York?) Thanks for all the suggestions, and I may get back to you with an update in 2023!
If you are not aware, the New York Times had a piece on the Empire State Trail. Paywall, not sure if you can open this or not.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ire-trail.html
Old 11-15-21, 05:20 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
You can still salvage your original idea. Charter a canal boat on the Erie Canal and day trip out from wherever you tie up. That could be a very cool tour at a very leisurely pace.