Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring humor? "Ohio Triangle"

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-19-21, 10:37 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I got a good laugh when I saw this.

Has anyone ever rode this - what appears to be the "Ohio Triangle"? Perhaps they started and never returned?

For those that haven't caught the joke, the pun is on the Bermuda Triangle.

I traced it in red here for more clarity. That is Bellefontaine to the North, SW Columbus to the East, and Xenia to the South West.

Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 09-21-21, 06:38 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Yes, back 45years ago when I was at Ohio State, the OSU cycling club did a three-day weekend ride to Yellow Springs/Kettering, then north to Bellfontaine, and back to campus... Obviously I survived since I am posting this... But, come to think of it, I haven't seen any of my fellow cycling club members here on BF.net...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-21-21, 07:41 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
https://goo.gl/maps/Y7NV6qMR5xfR13ry8

164ish miles, 1650ft up, 1654 down (if goog is to be believed)...not sure what the road riding is between Bellefontaine and Cowtown, but on the surface it doesn't look too bad for a short tour...
Old 09-21-21, 08:36 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
https://goo.gl/maps/Y7NV6qMR5xfR13ry8

164ish miles, 1650ft up, 1654 down (if goog is to be believed)...not sure what the road riding is between Bellefontaine and Cowtown, but on the surface it doesn't look too bad for a short tour...
Thanks for the map. That is neat that google maps shows the elevation for cycling. I noticed that also, but I don't use it. I do use google maps - it does a nice job with the green highlighting of cycling trails/routes. So it does come in handy. For any routing beyond shorter town runs I go back to RWGPS. It is a lot more tuned to cycling.

As to the elevation - I could have told you pretty quick Bellefontaine was a decent climb. The highest point in the sate is in that area (campbell hill). So it makes sense the general elevation is up going that direction from anywhere else. The elevation graph on that route plan shows exactly that.

I think it would be a neat ride at some point, also. However, the trail out of Urbana going North is unpaved. My trek I want to get in this season will take me through there so I may be able to do some test riding on that trail surface before I hit the roads. We'll see.