Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big Guy Bike Recommendations Please

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 04:53 PM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking to rejoin the world of cycling. I’m 49-years-old, have a bad knee, am 6’6” tall and weigh roughly 380lbs! Yup! A big guy. Planning to work hard at bringing weight down.

Currently have a XXL framed bike, but two years ago when I went on it, both tires exploded before I got even an 1/8th of a mile. A bit scary. Trying to avoid such a predicament again.

Looking for a bike for paved trails that can accommodate my current size.

I haven’t been able to find many options with exception of a recumbent bike called: GREENSPEED MAGNUM XL. It’s rated for my size and within my budget (under 4k).

Just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations. I was told that an upright bike is a better workout, so leaning more towards that if possible.

Appreciate any advice!

Thank you
Old 06-30-22, 07:40 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
The clydesdale section will have information on this topic. There are many that use bicycles with stronger wheels and some have other modifications.

If you are looking for a bicycle with a stated higher weight capacity worksman makes a cruiser. https://www.worksmancycles.com/bigbones.html
There are other companies too, I just don't know them off the top of my head.
Old 07-01-22, 04:53 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
The Bike for Big Guys
Old 07-01-22, 05:39 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
OP has moved to Clydesdale section.
Old 07-01-22, 08:02 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Just start combing the classifieds for stationary bikes you can fit onto, you should be able to get them cheap so if you flatten one out you can get another cheap and fast or have one waiting in the wings. You will be a lot better off losing your initial 150 pounds spinning on a stationary bike. Set it up in front of a tv and spin through a show etc.. I spun on a bike I set up in my basement all last winter, lots of people do. I weigh about 200 right now, but have weighed as much as 240 in the past, and I have also had lots of knee problems, pedaling a cycle has made my knees feel much, much better. Then when you get down to a reasonable weight then think about getting a bike for riding outdoors. At your weight you take a big risk riding outdoor now because if you fall you could hurt a knee really bad, or something else, and end up less mobile and racing up more weight. Quit eating so much and quit eating red meat and chicken, just go to raw fruits, cooked vegetables and cans of salmon, tuna, sardines. The double-pronged approach to weight loss, a healthy diet and working out is about the only thing that peels off the pounds in a worthwhile way. I know someone who has been going to the YMCA for well over a year and they have not lost one pound because they stuff their face with junk-food until they actually look **** they are pregnant. It is boring as H spinning a bike indoors, but it can help build mental toughness and other mental attitudes too. If you can tough it out spinning indoors for six or twelve months and lose a ton of weight, then you are a badass in my book and anyone else's too. So get to it and become a badass.