Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eyes go semi-blind after long road ride.....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Eyes go semi-blind after long road ride.....

Old 06-29-10, 12:24 PM
RoboCheme

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad that you have resolved the problem and thanks for sharing. It was refreshing that this thread didn't decline into the usual BF attack mode.
Likes For RoboCheme:
Old 06-30-10, 09:05 AM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the update! Very interesting.
Old 01-23-11, 07:46 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
First off, if y'all don't notice, this is a year-old thread. But it's one of the better ones on the topic, so I'll bring it up again rather than starting a new one.

One of the local randonneurs had similar eye problems, as I have had. He said he went to the eye doctor, and the diagosis was dry eyes, with the result that the cornea gets scratched, which causes the fogginess, similar to using sandpaper on glass. He said one thing the eye doc did was that there are little drains that normally remove tears from the eyes, and she plugged those, which keeps his eyes moister. And then he got some more wind-resistant glasses made up.

I think it's interesting that for the identical symptoms, there are two completely different lines of thought as to what is causing it. I don't know if these two people actually had different issues or if one or the other diagosis was off.

Anyway, here's George, with the glasses that helped solve his problem.

Note that neither he nor I wear contacts, so lack of permeability in contacts isn't an issue.

I asked at the optometrist myself, and was told there wasn't no such thing available for me, so I had a set of side-shield safety glasses made up. They may help, but still, on yesterday's 135-mile, I was about blind by the time I got in, so I'm still working on the problem. Having very thick lenses tends to limit the frame options that are available to me.
Old 01-23-11, 08:43 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_MarkD
One other quick note. My eye doc suggested to NOT use some the common over the counter eye drops, but rather use a high quality artificial tears.
My Dr (who makes nothing from pushing them) recommends a brand by the name of Systane. They work well.
Old 01-23-11, 11:58 AM
rusted_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
It sounds like you are approaching this correctly. The important thing is to r/o elevated intraocular pressure (exercise induced glaucoma). Like I said on your friend's post, another possibility is ocular migraine or basilar migraine. This is usually treated with beta blockers. Ask the optho doc about that as well. Good luck
defo not an ocular migraine
Old 01-23-11, 12:54 PM
sosojeffcc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very interesting thread. I actually am going through some vision problems myself right now, however completely unrelated to cycling as I JUST bought my bike when the symptoms popped up(a bummer).

I was getting very blurry vision when I take off my contacts and switch over to my glasses. I at first thought my eyes were just getting worse, and the prescription on the glasses just weren't strong enough. However, when I went to the optometrist she diagnosed that my corneas had suffered some bad abrasions and believed it was due to the silicone contacts i had been wearing(acuvue oasis). It's strange because the I felt no discomfort whatsoever with the lenses. She said that contacts actually act as a bandaid and shield the now raw corneal tissues from the outside air. She was right, the minute I take off the contacts my eyes felt DRY as ever. Needless to say I am now on a break from contacts whenever possible, and will be going back to non-silicone lenses.

She now has me using a prescription rewetting drop called FreshKote, along with Muro128(for corneal edema). The combination of the two are used every four hours. However, for normal rewetting every 2 hours, she recommends the Systane vials(which are over the counter).

It's a bit shocking how much my vision will clear up immediately using the drops.
Old 01-25-11, 09:25 AM
godsang

Bikes: Specialized S Works Safire, Specialized Ruby Comp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I'm the one who started the original post because of my eye problem. The contacts that I'm now using are Air Optics by Cibavision. They are "high O2 permeable lenses" with a Dk of 140. The Dk value measures the amount of oxygen that gets through the lense to the cornea. I found this article about the importance of Dk.

https://www.clspectrum.com/article.aspx?article=12953

Since I've been wearing the permeable lenses, I have noticed the blurriness occasionally, but only very slightly. I think I am so acutely aware of when the blurriness is beginning, that I can catch it very early now. I am fine with the slight level. I race mt bikes, and it is not happening on my rides or races, for the most part. If I notice a slight blur, it's always after, I've already stopped, and it goes away quickly. This has only happened a few times with the new lenses. I don't do too many road rides anymore, but I don't get blurry with these contacts on my normal 38 miles rides. I think I've found what works for me.

To anyone who tries the permeable lenses, they will feel a little thicker than normal lenses. It makes them heavier and they don't adhere to your finger when you put them in. As a result, they fall off your finger easily. You have to get used to handling them. They feel great in your eye though. So fresh, clear, and clean!

Last edited by godsang; 05-24-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 03:54 PM
bigape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Hi, so glad that a cycling colleague of mine Dr Richard McWilliams, took the time to research a problem that I had been suffering with for a number of years...blurred vision in my right eye after a sustained period of cycling. He pointed me in the direction of your blog.

Your blog, Godsang has literally been an 'eyeopener'...I now ride with a good set of cycling glasses and as a result no longer suffer the blurred vision problem...only just today I covered 80miles ride during which I did interval training pushing myself to the max with no ill effects...normally my vision would have been blurred in my right eye especially for a couple of hours after the ride.
Old 02-23-11, 05:33 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more variable that comes to mind is your heart rate. You may want to have your eyes examined while both your HR and BP are elevated.
Old 02-23-11, 05:48 PM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your point about the Dk value is an interesting one since ones oxygenation levels are different when the pulse rate is elevated. What you are saying seems to make sense in that the cornea has oxygen demands as well and that by starving the cornea with a less permeable contact the wearer can experience blurred vision.
Old 02-25-11, 07:33 PM
bobkit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cloudy Vision with Halos

Wow, I finally found other people with this condition! I too have had the same halos and cloudy vision in both eyes after a hard ride. I do not wear contacts and I bike with sun glasses. I am very interested in this post as I am currently dealing permanent vision field loss in my right eye. In the spring of 2008, I noticed a blind spot in my right eye vision. I immediately suspected glaucoma. I spent most of that year trying to get a diagnosis of the cause. Initially most of the doctors were stumped as my eyes looked fine. After seeing a neurologist and having a brain and optic nerve mri, they diagnosed me with "retrobulbar neuritis". Later, another eye doctor diagnosed me with "open angle" glaucoma because on that day my eye pressures were high (25mmhg). So I have been using pressure lowering eye drops ever since.

But this halo and cloudy vision thing has always been a red flag in my opinion. This is why: In my learning of glaucoma, I know that there are 2 types of glaucoma; "open angle" and "angle closure". Open angle is most common and basically means that the steady high pressure over time is damaging the optic nerve head inside the eye. Open angle has no symptoms at all. "Angle closure" on the other hand means a "sudden" VERY high pressure condition exists (or existed) in the eye, and it closes or partially closes off the eyes drainage and can quickly damage the optic nerve head within minutes or hours. The symptoms of this is blurry vision with halos and also nausea and pain. The cause of the sudden high pressure is the mystery.

I have told all my doctors about this halo cloudy effect because it fits the symptoms of "angle closure" glaucoma and it sort of fits my situation. To me, it sort of makes sense that the constant air and sweat blowing around my eyes could block or partially block the drainage around the cornea and the pressure inside then could elevate. And, I first started experiencing this halo effect just a few months prior to my vision loss. Ive been biking for about 23 years. But none of the doctors so far have heard of a link between "biking" and high eye pressures. Additionally, one day after a long ride I got home and sure enough my vision was cloudy and halos. So I got my camera and took some close up pics of my eye. The pics show clearly the cloudiness in the cornea/iris. I took the pics to my eye doctor and she said that it was some sort of cornea edema. she said I do not have angle closure because my eye exam does not show a "narrow" angle between my iris and cornea (the classic symptom). My angle is normal.

So, hopefully the doctor is correct and this cloudy/halo vision thing is coincidental and unrelated to my vision loss and high eye pressure. But I am not 100% sure. I still bike and have not over the past year had the cloudy/halos.
Old 02-28-11, 09:38 AM
godsang

Bikes: Specialized S Works Safire, Specialized Ruby Comp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am so glad that my post about my eye issues has helped people.

Glaucoma is a very serious concern. I was relieved that my eye pressure was always normal (at rest and post ride). Bobkit, do you definitely have glaucoma or do you have retrobulbar neuritis? I'm glad you are still able to ride. Are the drops keeping problems from glaucoma at bay?

Alan, I had always wondered about bp and hr as well. My hr was always back to normal levels by the time I sat in the dr's chair, so he never had the chance to see any problems that only occur at elevated hr's. BP was never tested. I guess the only way would have been to do jumping jacks in the office and have him retest me.

If the eye requires more oxygen when exercising than it does at rest, then I would assume that highly permeable lenses may be perfectly healthy for daily wear, but may still inhibit oxygen exposure to the cornea while riding (at least to a small degree). This makes sense, because my eyes feel much healthier and clear with the new lenses. But when I cycle, I occasionally still get a small amount of blurriness.

I am going to be mt bike racing in Women's Elite this season. Most of my training has been indoors on the trainer due to bad weather. My eyes have been perfect. As I begin to move my training outdoors, I will watch to see if anything changes. I will repost.
Old 02-28-11, 10:18 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend had trouble wearing contacts, he now rides with prescription cycling sunglasses and has dumped wearing contacts while riding.
They are not cheap but made a world of difference for him.
Old 11-20-20, 06:45 PM
Darrejm

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outcome?

So I have experienced the same issue but in one eye. I think it is a combination of allergies and dryness. What was your final outcome?
Old 11-20-20, 07:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,256 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrejm
So I have experienced the same issue but in one eye. I think it is a combination of allergies and dryness. What was your final outcome?
Why do newbies so often dredge up zombie threads?
Old 11-20-20, 09:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why do newbies so often dredge up zombie threads?
Because Google prioritizes keywords, not dates.

And some threads go on for years. In the C&V forum there are no zombie threads, only vintage threads.

On this forum, the only zombie thread to worry about is the one where people might yell at you.
Old 11-21-20, 07:57 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrejm
I too went through this, and it only happens on cold days and cooler windy days. It started peripherally, and moved to the center until I was nearly completely without sight. No glaucoma, nothing unusual, just sight loss that comes back gradually within a few hours. Since I was doing Brevet's at the time, and cold and distance go hand-in-hand up here, I needed a fix. I bought these, and it did the trick. Since then, I went with this bunch and they also work just fine. I can't wear them in actual races, because your peripheral vision is compromised, but races generally aren't 4+ hours, so I'm good there.

I actually found an article many years ago detailing this, and the causes, but somehow lost the bookmark.
Old 06-19-22, 10:15 PM
somecycler

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
sorry for bumping an old thread but I wanted to leave a comment because I went through something similar but different. Same symptoms as OP described BUT I don't wear contacts. Turned out it was indeed dryness causing the issue. I have dry eyes so I guess I was already starting from a bad place. Getting a nice goggle-styled cycling glasses worked wonders for me and fixed this problem for me entirely
Likes For somecycler:
Old 06-20-22, 05:52 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
I've heard it can happen if you're a mule feeling like a redlined old hot rod in the desert, particularly at night. It can also happen if you have a cocaine addiction.

Last edited by seypat; 06-20-22 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-21-22, 11:16 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I have a friend who experiences this, in his case it's ocular migraines. But it could in rare cases be a tumor, blood flow problems, or something else - so the medical center put my friend through all kinds of tests and exams, including an MRI (CT?) scan, to make sure it wasn't something else. He doesn't have headaches, just vision loss. Oh, and he occasionally has speech problems from it as well, which is what prompted the closer look.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 06-21-22, 11:20 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
The comment I want to make would probably get me banned.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-25-22, 04:16 PM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
See an eye doc, you probably have glaucoma or other serious issue
Old 06-25-22, 08:35 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by godsang

The doctor was stumped. He said my problem is unique.
You might have been abducted by UFOs and gave you an implant. Next time, ask them to remove it. Hammer out a deal that will benefit both parties.

Another possibility is you don't belong to this alternate reality.
Old 06-25-22, 08:37 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
I have a friend who experiences this, in his case it's ocular migraines. But it could in rare cases be a tumor, blood flow problems, or something else - so the medical center put my friend through all kinds of tests and exams, including an MRI (CT?) scan, to make sure it wasn't something else. He doesn't have headaches, just vision loss. Oh, and he occasionally has speech problems from it as well, which is what prompted the closer look.
I second this. Brain tumors may come without the obvious symptoms, not even headaches.