Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell Atlantis or Vintage

Old 01-01-15, 08:44 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Here my Rivendell wantabe, a Trek 930, 1990 version. My first attempt with 700c wheels, straight bar.Currently it has the stock wheels, drop bar.
I would love to own a Rivendell but financial restrictions apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1409567970000.jpg (93.4 KB, 508 views)
KINDLE_CAMERA_1401876330000.jpg (96.3 KB, 511 views)

Last edited by a77impala; 01-01-15 at 08:56 AM. Reason: error on photos
Old 01-01-15, 09:58 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Rivendell Atlantis or vintage is a false dilemma. If you are in the financial position to consider an Atlantis why not get both?
Old 01-01-15, 08:13 PM
AvenirFolder

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingston
Rivendell Atlantis or vintage is a false dilemma. If you are in the financial position to consider an Atlantis why not get both?
Because I follow Grant Petersen's advice: Forced to go with one bike, make it an early to late eighties steel mountain bike (of quality) Urban Adventure League: Yet Another New Bike? 1984 Raleigh Crested Butte ("Mountain Tour" edition) + Urban Velo - Bicycle Culture on the Skids (see third page).

I also like the mathematics regarding price: For one Atlantis, I can sample 40 or so quality vintage mtn bikes in good condition (assuming I pay no more than $100 per bike). I'd call that a well-rounded education on vintage bikes.

Last edited by AvenirFolder; 01-01-15 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 08:42 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AvenirFolder
Simple answer to the original question: Vintage. Go back to page one and have a look at Sixty-fiver's ride, a vintage 1987 Kuwahara Cascade that he picked up for all of 25 bucks. Last I read, he'd clocked up 40,000+ kms on it. I own an 85 Miyata Terra Runner (spruced up for touring the GDMBR), 87 Kuwahara Shasta ($50) and an 86 Kuwahara Cascade ($100). Would I spend $4000 on a bike for tooling around town or touring? Nope. Not when I can get a very suitable stand-in for a fraction of that. Loaded down, my Miyata -- which can take 2.25" Marathon Extremes -- does the job and then some. And my bikes all come with the sought-after beausage as well.

The nice thing with vintage bikes is that you can pick up a second, back-up bike/frame-fork for a song as well -- which might come in handy if your first build suffers any unexpected, accident-caused damage etc. I had my wheels built by SJS Cycles in the UK and shipped over. Why? Because SJS sells the Andra 30 touring rims which are far stronger than anything else on the market including the rim selection from Rivendell. The CSS Andras are virtually bombproof: Cycling About ? Review: Rigida/Ryde Andra 30 Rim + Bicycle Touring: Review: Rims: #1: "Rigida Andra 30 CSS", posted by Sydney Winer*(sydwiner) on Wed 18 Aug 2010 03:18 (US/Pacific) . I like the Andras because I use cantilever brakes which are hard on rim surfaces (I went through a Velocity Aeroheat rear in little over 2000kms this summer.) Since the early to late 80s mtn bikes have a 130mm rear dropout width -- not the later 135mmm -- simply go with an Ultegra roadie hub or equivalent front and rear. The latest Ultegra is the 11-speed 6800 which works with an 8-speed cassette (with the provided spacer). Add a shiny new 46-36-24 Sugino crankset from Riv -- and a suitably sized bottom bracket like the UN55 --and you have yourself a tough tourer and all-rounder.

BTW Grant Petersen often plugs the virtues of old vintage bikes for touring and tooting around. You need go no further than the Rivendell Reader to verify that. As far as his ego goes, I don't know the man but will point to the early issues of the Riv Reader where he bares his soul and faltering ego to the masses. Observation: he holds the same insecurities and fears as the next guy and is simply trying to make a living at what he knows best. I have nothing but admiration for a small businessman who keeps plugging away in a new venture with an uncertain future ahead of him.

However, I still like buying inexpensive vintage bikes. For the same reason, I drive a sturdy 25 year-old vehicle and would never consider buying a new BMW, Cadillac or anything else along those lines even though I can afford them. To me that's wasting money.
There is a lot of merit to looking at vintage bikes. Instead of going with the 1995 Trek 820, I put together my 1983 Takara Highlander. As best as I can tell, this thing has a 70 degree seat tube, a 67.5 degree head tube, about 50mm of fork rake, 47.5 cm chainstays and a bottom bracket drop that results in almost horizontal chainstays. I rode more days than not during November, often in 20 degree weather, and was more thrilled than a kid with new toys on Christmas morning. I then discovered a possible structural problem with the frame and stripped it back down. I've tried riding my other bikes, including two mid-90's bikes, but it's just not clicking for me. I enjoyed that battleship length, slack angled 1983 MTB much more than any other bike I've ridden. I plan to take it to a frame builder for possible repair and if that doesn't work, I'll look for a higher quality early 80's MTB to replace it.

I know it's a far cry from Rivendell geometry but it is representative of the first "go anywhere" bikes and I also love the historical aspect of the bike.
Old 01-02-15, 04:11 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
I agree even if I have no idea what a "sought after beausage" is, .
Tracked the Riv article down to Reader #42 which is freely available online through Rivendell's website (there's also a piece in Grant's book Just Ride on beausage):

Attached Images
Beausage.jpg (93.5 KB, 516 views)
Old 01-03-15, 12:50 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Tracked the Riv article down to Reader #42 which is freely available online through Rivendell's website (there's also a piece in Grant's book Just Ride on beausage):
Love the references. Thanks

I think the target market for a new Rivendell is middle-aged guys with more money than time, so if you're not one of those guys it probably doesn't make any sense to you why anyone would get one.

Because I follow Grant Petersen's advice: Forced to go with one bike, make it an early to late eighties steel mountain bike (of quality) Urban Adventure League: Yet Another New Bike? 1984 Raleigh Crested Butte ("Mountain Tour" edition) + Urban Velo - Bicycle Culture on the Skids (see third page).
I agree with Grant. If forced to go with one bike, it would be a steel mountain bike. However, the OP has eight bikes + too many projects to mention so s/he is not subject to the single bike limitation.

I also like the mathematics regarding price: For one Atlantis, I can sample 40 or so quality vintage mtn bikes in good condition (assuming I pay no more than $100 per bike). I'd call that a well-rounded education on vintage bikes.
To each his own, but I would rather have one Atlantis and a few nice vintage bikes that I really liked than a whole garage full of $100 bikes.
Old 01-03-15, 02:57 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingston

To each his own, but I would rather have one Atlantis and a few nice vintage bikes that I really liked than a whole garage full of $100 bikes.
Who said anything about a whole garage full? I'd cherry pick the best ones and give the rest away to charities like Bicycles for Humanity: Donate bikes to developing countries ? Bicycles 4 Humanity . Along the cherry-picking way, I'd have the opportunity to study each make and model up close and personal and go for a ride, too. Eventually, I'd end up with some goodies like this (not mine but in the era that I like):

I chose that '85 Crested Butte as an example because it has heli-arc welded joints -- not lugged joints. Heck, how many other bikes of that age were heli-arc welded? I'd love to see one close up as well as others with different/unique features. Note the carrying strap that was also standard on that bike. You'd be surprised what you can pick up for $100 or so. Beasts -- and beauties!

BTW You could also simply resell the ones you don't like. That would give you more money -- allowing you the time to do some touring or extended riding. I have money and time because I don't drop $4000 on a single bike.
Attached Images
1985 Raleigh Crested Butte.jpg (93.6 KB, 509 views)

Last edited by AvenirFolder; 01-03-15 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-03-15, 04:14 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
BTW You could also simply resell the ones you don't like. That would give you more money -- allowing you the time to do some touring or extended riding. I have money and time because I don't drop $4000 on a single bike.
I don't know how that's going to find anyone time.

I spend my time working to earn money to spend on things I enjoy; whether it's a bike, a BMW, a guitar, a stereo, or a pair of trousers or something fancy for the wife...

The point is that it's anyone's prerogative to spend their money as they see fit.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-03-15, 05:15 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd no sooner go to a plumber for a prostate exam than to a bike designer for diet and fitness advice.
I've got my name down at the library for a hold on his new book Eat Bacon, Don't Jog. It should be just as insightful and witty.
Old 01-03-15, 05:24 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I don't know how that's going to find anyone time.

The point is that it's anyone's prerogative to spend their money as they see fit.
Or, conversely, it's anyone's prerogative to save their money and take extended time off -- that's the time I was talking about -- to actually use a much less expensive vintage bike to tour or toot about on. On page 5 of this thread, I provided a couple of links to Rich and Amanda's way of life as a viable alternative to the usual North American consumerist lifestyle. My wife and I followed the same pattern until an offspring arrived. $4000 would cover at least a couple of months of travel expenses while cheaply bike touring -- even in North America (assuming you're wild camping).

I fully understand your point, but there is at least one other approach to spending decisions. Money (savings) = Time (off).
Old 01-03-15, 05:32 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Or, conversely, it's anyone's prerogative to save their money and take extended time off -- that's the time I was talking about -- to actually use a much less expensive vintage bike to tour or toot about on. On page 5 of this thread, I provided a couple of links to Rich and Amanda's way of life as a viable alternative to the usual North American consumerist lifestyle. My wife and I followed the same pattern until an offspring arrived. $4000 would cover at least a couple of months of travel expenses while cheaply bike touring -- even in North America (assuming you're wild camping).

I fully understand your point, but there is at least one other approach to spending decisions. Money (savings) = Time (off).
Good for you. Does anyone on a bike website really care about your personal finance manifesto? Maybe. I know I don't.....
Old 01-03-15, 05:35 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ricebowl
I'd no sooner go to a plumber for a prostate exam than to a bike designer for diet and fitness advice.
Since you're apparently a self-confessed bourbon junkie, I doubt that diet and fitness are a major concern at any rate.

Grant's book is flouted as providing scientific grounding/facts -- Eat Bacon, Don't Jog: Main Description: $13.95: Workman Publishing -- so I won't be as quick to judge. I do know that he follows the work of Mark Sisson Books and Media - The Primal Blueprint: Updated and Expanded (Paperback Edition) so it's likely to share a common theme. Since I'm getting it at the library for free, I have little to lose.
Old 01-03-15, 05:37 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fender1
Good for you. Does anyone on a bike website really care about your personal finance manifesto? Maybe. I know I don't.....
Time off = More bike riding.
Old 01-03-15, 06:35 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-03-15, 07:30 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?
I see you own an 84 Stumpy. I have one too. That is one of the bikes I was thinking about making an Atlantis style bike from.
Old 01-03-15, 07:52 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Early retired and mostly self-pensioned. That, after fastitiously saving during the course of a professional occupation. (Not quite as sharply/accurately as Rich and Amanda do or did it but in that spirit.) We live simply and enjoy simple pleasures -- including bike riding. I'm not saying that everyone can afford to do that but spending $4000 on a bike or $45,000+ on a new vehicle is a sure way to NOT do it: The Nine Steps - Financial Integrity (Your Money or Your Life is the book that kicked off the program). Fast way to riches? Nope. It takes a wee bit of time and work.

End result: More bike riding.
Old 01-03-15, 08:56 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Early retired and mostly self-pensioned. That, after fastitiously saving during the course of a professional occupation. (Not quite as sharply/accurately as Rich and Amanda do or did it but in that spirit.) We live simply and enjoy simple pleasures -- including bike riding. I'm not saying that everyone can afford to do that but spending $4000 on a bike or $45,000+ on a new vehicle is a sure way to NOT do it: The Nine Steps - Financial Integrity (Your Money or Your Life is the book that kicked off the program). Fast way to riches? Nope. It takes a wee bit of time and work.

End result: More bike riding.
So what did you do before you retired early? Would you have been able to have sold a garage full of bikes and been able to quit your job without leaving people who depended on you in a bad position as well as maintaining a comfortable lifestyle?

Old 01-03-15, 09:03 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by cs1
I see you own an 84 Stumpy. I have one too. That is one of the bikes I was thinking about making an Atlantis style bike from.
Mine is a Sport. It's a bit heavier than I'd like.

Several years ago I'd seen a LHT that was that same "1980s Jeep" gray- and it looked remarkably like my Stumpjumper, but with drops. I've had the intention of doing that to that bike, but the... "stoutness" has kind of deterred me. But it's such a cool bike.

Old 01-03-15, 09:42 PM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would you have been able to have sold a garage full of bikes and been able to quit your job without leaving people who depended on you in a bad position as well as maintaining a comfortable lifestyle?
I don't have a garage full of bikes. I have three inexpensive vintage bikes -- in addition to a folder that I got for free -- and I'll probably be paring my vintage collection down to two in the spring. I worked and saved a heap before I retired early at my choosing. Same as many other folks like Rich and Amanda who started early and followed the Nine Step "Your Money or Your Life" program. My wife and I have been doing that since our early twenties. No $4000 bikes, no new BMWs, no big showy house, no flashy anything. Simple living. It ain't rocket science.

Not everyone can or wants to do that. To each their own. I'm merely pointing out that the practical value of an Atlantis, as nice as it is, does not come close to equaling the practical value of 40 or so inexpensive, quality steel vintage bikes. Three or four maybe. 40? Absolutely not.

Back to the original question: Rivendell Atlantis or vintage? Vintage -- as long as it's in great shape and at a good price.

BTW Nice bike! Rivendell sells new bullmoose bars like that for $150. My '85 Miyata has them, too.
Old 01-03-15, 10:30 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I don't have a garage full of bikes. I have three inexpensive vintage bikes -- in addition to a folder that I got for free -- and I'll probably be paring my vintage collection down to two in the spring. I worked and saved a heap before I retired early at my choosing. Same as many other folks like Rich and Amanda who started early and followed the Nine Step "Your Money or Your Life" program. My wife and I have been doing that since our early twenties. No $4000 bikes, no new BMWs, no big showy house, no flashy anything. Simple living. It ain't rocket science.

Not everyone can or wants to do that. To each their own. I'm merely pointing out that the practical value of an Atlantis, as nice as it is, does not come close to equaling the practical value of 40 or so inexpensive, quality steel vintage bikes. Three or four maybe. 40? Absolutely not.

Back to the original question: Rivendell Atlantis or vintage? Vintage -- as long as it's in great shape and at a good price.

BTW Nice bike! Rivendell sells new bullmoose bars like that for $150. My '85 Miyata has them, too.
As long as you're enjoying the fruits of your labor as you see fit.

Old 01-04-15, 08:17 AM
corwin1968

Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa

The vintage MTB tourer can be pretty darn good. But the high bottom brackets and slack geometry will make for a deader ride. Again, totally capable of a touring expedition, and much cheaper.
I agree with this assessment. An early MTB is a great substitute for the spirit of a Rivendell Atlantis but a poor substitute for trying to get a bike that actually rides like an Atlantis. The truth is, as I've sadly found, bikes with 26" wheels, low bottom brackets and short top-tubes are very rare. The Surly LHT qualifies but it's not vintage. Most (practically all) MTB's have high BB's and long top-tubes and most hybrids, which do tend to have lower BB's and shorter top-tubes, have 700c wheels. To me, the 26" wheels are what defines the Atlantis, despite the larger sizes using 700c wheels.

My closest solution has been to take my old 1995 Trek 730 Multitrack, a 700c bike, and install a 1992 Rockhopper fork on it and deck it out with 26" wheels and Big Apples. I ended up with a bike that is probably very similar to an Atlantis. The front-end handling is probably a few mm's off from the Atlantis, the BB is a bit lower and the chainstays are 1cm shorter, but overall, it's very close to an Atlantis in geometry and probably only gives up a little frame comfort (Atlantis is a .9/.6/.9 bike so it's pretty stout but it does have thinner fork blades than that old Rockhopper fork I'm using).

It is about as ugly as a bike can be but for $2300 difference, I can live with it and hey, I can't see the bike anyway when I'm riding it!

My plan is to eventually buy a 26" LHT frameset and put all of my modern Deore parts on it.

Bikes are almost as hard to photograph well as swords are and this photo exaggerates the vertical dimensions of the bike and compresses the horizontal dimensions. Proportionally, it's much tougher looking in real life. Sort of a long and low look.

Attached Images
DSCN0293.jpg (31.0 KB, 506 views)

Last edited by corwin1968; 01-04-15 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 09:29 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
My wife rides her 83 Sport constantly in season.

I tried to buy her a new custom or a used Rivendell like mine and she didn't want it.

Great bikes for sure. Tires and brake pads make these come alive.

[IMG]SANY0062 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-04-15, 10:11 AM
corwin1968

Originally Posted by gomango

I tried to buy her a new custom or a used Rivendell like mine and she didn't want it.

I would love to pick up an early 80's Stumpjumper. My 1983 Takara Highlander is my favorite bike but it's having structural issues right now. From the limited amount of information I can find, it's at the entry level of the "good" mountain bikes for that era; cro-mo main tubes, Dia Compe brakes, Suntour Mountech derailleurs, Takagi crank, SR seatpost and stem. I can only imagine what one of the high level Stumpjumpers would be like!
Old 01-04-15, 10:27 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I would love to pick up an early 80's Stumpjumper. My 1983 Takara Highlander is my favorite bike but it's having structural issues right now. From the limited amount of information I can find, it's at the entry level of the "good" mountain bikes for that era; cro-mo main tubes, Dia Compe brakes, Suntour Mountech derailleurs, Takagi crank, SR seatpost and stem. I can only imagine what one of the high level Stumpjumpers would be like!
I was lucky to find this one locally.

Bought it before our local CL turned into junk heaven.

Had about 100 miles max on it. Original owner's manual, tires, etc.

All I did was repack the bearings and put on her favorite "go anywhere" tires.

This winter I am tearing it down and treating it to a nos Blackburn front rack and the Ostrich bag from my Bilenky.

New Kool Stops, cables, etc. will have it better than new.

You guys would love to ride this bike.

It's a blast.
Old 01-04-15, 10:43 AM
AvenirFolder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gomango

A great looking bike. What kind of tires are those? Size? You mentioned brake pads -- what did you use on that Sport?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.