Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for bike vacations like Cape Cod?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-17, 09:46 AM
dr_challis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Basically looking for a week or so where you would have a home base, you can bike all week on either a rail trail or other environs, where there's food and things to see. Tried Prince Edward Island, which was ok, but I like Cape Cod more.
Old 03-07-17, 10:34 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
A couple summers ago I rode a loop from Boston, ferry to Provincetown, Orleans, Woods Hole ferry to Martha's Vinyard, then to Plymouth and caught a ferry from Hingham back to Boston. Some trails, mostly quiet roads, and camping all nights. Had a great time.
Old 03-07-17, 10:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nova Scotia?
Old 03-07-17, 11:08 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_challis
Basically looking for a week or so where you would have a home base, you can bike all week on either a rail trail or other environs, where there's food and things to see. Tried Prince Edward Island, which was ok, but I like Cape Cod more.
So Cape Cod or someplace else? Lots of options for the Cape. I camped at Nickerson SP, Brewster. Ride to P town, take ferry to Boston. Also ferries to the islands.
Old 03-07-17, 11:27 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Le P'tit Train du Nord trail in Quebec, which begins just north of Montreal, might work for you. You could base yourself near Mt. Tremblant.
Old 03-07-17, 05:27 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Vermont is cycling bliss. I want to do their brewery trail.
Old 03-07-17, 06:53 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_challis
I recently replied to this thread on theTouring Forum, “Suggestions for next epic ride”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days (and is easily accessible from Washington, DC).

It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene. Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.

Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife,sports and so forth…
,,,BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.
Old 03-07-17, 08:42 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I met a SoCal couple in Laporte, MN this past Sept. who had come to the area specifically for the purpose of riding on the local bike paths. Part of the promo on the website for the paths states: "You will be at the junction of over 150 miles of paved bike trails, the scenic trails in the Leech Lake area are a cyclist’s dream."

See here: Biking, Hiking & ATV Trails | Paul Bunyan Trail | Leech Lake

I was following the Paul Bunyan Trail from Bemidji to Walker at the time (that section of which is part of ACA's Northern Tier). If that trail is any indication of the rest of them, I highly recommend you do further research.

Last edited by hilltowner; 03-07-17 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 09:55 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Gonna follow this thread - would love to find a similar mix of food, islands, ocean beaches, fresh water swimming ponds, hamlet towns, and dedicated bike paths as good as the Cape's.

Maybe Acadia NP carriage trails, Bar Harbor, Desert Island?
Old 03-08-17, 05:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Gonna follow this thread - would love to find a similar mix of food, islands, ocean beaches, fresh water swimming ponds, hamlet towns, and dedicated bike paths as good as the Cape's.

Besides Cape Cod and the Islands (Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket), Massachusetts also has “the Other Cape,” Cape Ann, and I recently posted:
…[For a few years we have spent summer vacations on] MetroBoston’s scenic North Shore, a nice cycling route 40 miles long north of our condo in downtown Boston. The region is also good for road cycling, and train service with the fully assembled bike is readily available. I described it in my Cycling Guide to Metro Boston as
…North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline, especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant, Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem,Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport, Ipswich, etc…
So one could travel by train from Boston to Rockport…which itself is an interesting walkable resort town, including beaches.

Rockport is on Cape Ann on the North Shore, and known as Boston’s "Other Cape," in distinction to Cape Cod, which begins at about 80 miles from Boston, with no train service, requires crossing one of two bridges with horrendous traffic jams on the summer weekends, and is best traversed by car. Just last night I was chatting with a colleague who has a vacation home on the off-Cape Island of Martha’s Vineyard. They have to plan their weekends months in advance to secure car passage on the ferryboat.

ADDENDUM: Parking in the center of Rockport is extremely limited. and visitors who drive there often have to park a couple of miles away and be shuttled into town by bus. Rockport as a convivial tourist destination was featured in the movie Coma (but not as the scary part).
BTW, my wife and I have cycled Prince Edward Island, which I would describe, with esteem, as pleasantly boring, though we did share a memorable Beef Wellington in Charlottestown. The southwestern part of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth, Digby, Halifax, etc was a virtual cycling paradise.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-08-17 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 08:40 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Dunno if you mean only in America, but I'd suggest Amsterdam. You could easily stay in the city for a week and do a different meaningful day trip every day. Excellent cycling infrastructure, and villages every couple miles that all have restaurants and pubs to go experience.
Old 03-08-17, 10:15 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Not so fast

Originally Posted by NoControl
Vermont is cycling bliss. I want to do their brewery trail.
I lived in Underhill VT for 4 years and found the natives there (AKA Rednecks) to be among the most hostile towards cyclists I've experienced anywhere. Beautiful roads and scenery though. Good brewpubs too!
Old 03-08-17, 11:46 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by hfbill
I lived in Underhill VT for 4 years and found the natives there (AKA Rednecks) to be among the most hostile towards cyclists I've experienced anywhere. Beautiful roads and scenery though. Good brewpubs too!
Interesting. I've cycled a little bit of everywhere in New England and never experienced hostility. Maybe I'm lucky. Perhaps all states need to adopt the lane change for cyclists law and that may help.

Originally Posted by reppans

I was born and raised there. Summer traffic and crowds were always the bane of residents, in particular those who's livelihood didn't depend on the summer tourism trade. The wife and I went back this past summer to visit relatives and stay a bit and act as tourists. It was a horrorshow. In addition to the overwhelming masses of people using it as a summer destination, cruise ships now anchor in the harbor to shuttle thousands of passengers ashore. The carriage roads and trails are jammed. A trip to the top of Cadillac Mt. is a real screamer. Better have a reservation ANYWHERE, because wait lines are usually 1-2 hours. Like shopping? Every shop is crammed. Its a wait for someone in front of you, and you better decide what you need quick because there are ten people behind you.

I wouldn't move back there if I won the lottery, and if it wasn't for family, I'd never go back.

Last edited by J.Higgins; 03-08-17 at 11:58 AM.