Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

True Temper S3 vs Columbus (SL?)

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

True Temper S3 vs Columbus (SL?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 05:59 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not sure about the new SL, but the old Japanese "triple-butted" tubes added a butt where braze-ons were likely to be placed.
That sounds like some sharp thinking!
Old 08-31-20, 06:31 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
Is it even still possible to get S3? I would have guessed stocks were depleted by now.

I semi-doubt it's possible to build a frame too flexible for a 115 lb woman, with commercially-available bike frame tubes. I would steer away from anything oversized. Unless you're a believer in "stiffer is better, any flex wastes energy" -- I obviously am not, I think there's a "right" amount of flex for each rider, that you should not go under. Stiffer frames are easy and cheap to make, so they boost the profits of the manufacturers. Then magazines, bloggers and other self-appointed experts repeat the "stiffer is better" mantra because they know which side their bread is buttered on. It's an easy sell to inexperienced cyclists. "17% stiffer than last year's model!" – as if that's a good thing.

My wife weighed 115 when she was racing. Won medals at district championships, road and track, so she definitely pedals hard. I made her frame with trad diameter (1" TT, 1-1/8" DT) and .6/.3/.6 walls. Frame weight a bit under 2.5 lb. She loved it. I tried to get her to complain about the flex but she said she wasn't sure if she was feeling any. When she did notice the flex was when she got on a crabon frame, a Madone -- she definitely noticed and hated the lack of flex on that one.

Back when pros raced on steel, a lot of them rode with a .8/.5/.8 TT in 1", even sometimes lighter, like Reynolds 753. Most of us can hardly imagine how much harder your typical pro can pedal, compared to us mortals. If I listed some of the guys who won TdF, World Championships etc on a frame with 1" .7/.5/.7 TT, you probably wouldn't recognize the names unless you're old like me, but suffice it to say they would have paid the weight penalty for a stiffer frame if they thought it would make them faster.

So basically, at 115 lb, 1" TT *is* oversized. I say just use the smallest thinnest tubes you can find. Of what's still made, I think Reynolds 853 still comes in a 1" TT, 1-1/8" DT and thinwall.

I'm an ex-framebuilder, a bit out of touch with current offerings, but someone here will know what the lightest available small tubes are.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-31-20, 06:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
I assume people still have S3 because TT gave builders a year to make a last order. But it's in private stashes. I agree though, superlight frames are fine for a 115 pound rider.

I also assume the OP got their bike since it has been 4 years

Last edited by unterhausen; 08-31-20 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 06:40 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
The "new" SL (Niobium alloy instead of Cyclex like the 1980s SL) has 0.8mm/0.5mm/0.8mm walls, while the original 80s Cyclex SL had 0.9mm/0.6mm/0.9mm.

Columbus Spirit, also Niobium alloy, has even thinner walls (0.5mm/0.38mm/0.5mm), but with the OP's intended use on rocky trails even at his weight, Spirit might be pushing it.

Tommasini's Fire Gravel is made with Spirit tubing and at 115 lbs (not kg, right?), that should be more than strong enough. In fact if you go to a good custom builder, ask them to make you a bike with good old fashioned "regular" tubing - basically not the over-sized stuff that is used everywhere now. Smaller diameter steel tubing is plenty strong (especially at your weight) and gives a nicer ride.
Old 08-31-20, 06:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
I feel confident the OP has moved on
Old 08-31-20, 06:56 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I feel confident the OP has moved on
Holy crap, I did not notice the date of the OP. Yeah, gone and we are forgotten.
Old 09-01-20, 01:50 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I semi-doubt it's possible to build a frame too flexible for a 115 lb woman, with commercially-available bike frame tubes. I would steer away from anything oversized. Unless you're a believer in "stiffer is better, any flex wastes energy" -- I obviously am not, I think there's a "right" amount of flex for each rider, that you should not go under. Stiffer frames are easy and cheap to make, so they boost the profits of the manufacturers. Then magazines, bloggers and other self-appointed experts repeat the "stiffer is better" mantra because they know which side their bread is buttered on. It's an easy sell to inexperienced cyclists. "17% stiffer than last year's model!" – as if that's a good thing.
Ain't that the truth. And now they've made the frames too stiff they're selling everyone on fat tyres and really long seatposts.
Likes For guy153: