Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Current projects

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Current projects

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 09:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Current projects

I haven't posted any personal projects lately, C-19 has really put a crimp in my home shop time. Last winter I made it known that I'd be working 2 days a week this season. Then came the plague and duty took over. Besides the home shop time I gave up I figure I lost about 1000+ miles of riding so far. So here's some of what I've struggled to get done.

My lathe is partly painted and has a two step counter shaft pulley now. The SB 9C still have a lot of overlapping speeds (just like poor FW/Ring combos provide) but I have made a motor base that pivots to make primary drive belt adjustment quick and am getting a few different motor pulleys and belts to end up with a better series of spindle speeds. Imagine being able to change out rings and chain length during a ride...

The replacement for my first attempt at lug making frame is finished and waiting it's paint. I still have some internal debate as to how to do this. The easy method is the same as the first frame's method, get the local powder coater to do a wet job so I can apply decals and clear coat at home.

This choice is challenged by the long wanted purchase of an air compressor. A long time LBS finally gave it up and closed down. (Too bad as it was an easy standard to compete against) I bought their 25+ year old Speedair roll around unit. It's now replumbed, belted, teflon taped, drain plugged with real wheels. It actually works fairly well and shuts off at 105psi and recycles on at 80. The out going regulator adjusts well, surprising as i replaced an internal spring with one from the local Ace hardware store.

I've tested my old Eclipse touch up gun today and ran a bunch of thinner through it. I never used this gun before having worked with a full scale DeVilbus, both being older suction units. But the functions are about the same. I hope to use this gun to paint more parts of the lathe over the Fall. I dream of a frame job but hear Doug Fattic's words of wisdom reminding me why i shouldn't yet till I get comfy.

I sold my Trek Fuel Mtb With dual suspension and disks. After 9 years I only rode it a half dozen times. I never got comfy with it's movement. Rode my 1987 Mongoose Tomac more... The next frame is a 650B dual rigid with disks Mtb. So much is new for me, unicrown forks (and their mitering jig), the BB/stay arrangement to clear 2.6 tires with a 68mm shell and double and steering geometry for this thing. This and other forums have helped to narrow down the numbers and spark the creative elements enough to continue.

My last time sinks have nothing to do with bikes but everything to do with living. Two long time friends have gone through major challenges and I've helped support them best i can. My efforts don't change theirn medical or financial status but do soften the blows and recovery. Once again I learn that life is about the people around you instead of the riders you try to beat. Andy
Old 09-14-20, 04:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
My lathe is partially painted too. It's a bit embarrassing, I probably should have chosen to paint it a matching color. Mine is getting encoders. I'm brush painting it though. I spray painted part of my mill and the parts that I brushed look just as good without as much overspray.

I have a VFD on there, so i could have any speed I wanted plus the 6 speed gearbox and the high/low speed on the spindle. But the apron drive gearbox on mine was disconnected when I got it. I thought it was the amazingly complex 80 setting gearbox, but it was actually stuck in the apron. I just ordered some oil seals and I can probably get it working again. I hope. I think I'm missing the indicator for threads though, gotta look through my parts collection for it.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-14-20 at 04:16 AM.