Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suspension stems

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Suspension stems

Old 04-21-21, 09:51 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12179 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,103 Posts
Suspension stems

I wanted to talk about suspension stems.

My first one I got close to 30 years ago. It had a simple pivot, which meant when you braked, the bars would not only go down, they would also move towards you. Occasionally, people got launched, over the handlebars, and off their bike.

I replaced that with a beauty. Somebody should still be making this one. CNC aluminum in a parallelogram design. This meant your bars would go straight down a little. I still have it, but it has the old school stem, and won't work on modern bikes.

I recently got a Redshift, I like it. But suspension is largely about travel, and it doesn't offer much. This is not a criticism, it's a terrific design. I saw an article recently comparing the Redshift to the built in head tube shock absorber on Gazelle bikes (I love that idea). The Gazelle shock prob has 3 or 4 times the travel of the Redshift, and the guy thought the Gazelle did a better job.

No surprise there.

Anyway, if you are getting beat up, the Redshift is something to think about. It works better than I thought it would.

https://redshiftsports.com/products/...uspension-stem
Old 04-21-21, 11:00 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had an Alsop (Softride) years ago and loved it, but someone offered me too much money and I sold it. Been rigid, or more recently front suspension since, but may try the Redshift.
Old 05-22-21, 04:02 PM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Adding a Redshift Shockstop stem to my gravel bike is the single most beneficial change I’ve made, better even than changing to a 1500g wheelset run tubeless. I’ve seen lots of positive reviews about the Shockstop and never a negative one.
Old 05-22-21, 04:18 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
you also have the https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/F...e&ref_=ast_bln
Old 05-24-21, 11:49 AM
josephvman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Specialized has their own built-in "Future Shock" stem suspension, but I added the Redshift suspension seatpost, and it's fantastic. If their suspension stem is as well-designed and built as the seatpost I'm sure it's a very good product.