Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Best FOLDING pedals (GRIPY!)

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Best FOLDING pedals (GRIPY!)

Old 03-02-18, 03:22 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured it's better than starting a new one... Would you say the MKS folding pedal is an upgrade over the current (2018) Brompton pedal? Thanks in advance...
Old 03-02-18, 04:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, the Brompton pedals are fine.. they mailed a new one free, when I was able to show a stress crack .. (macro picture)

Did not ask for proof of sale, It as on used bike I bought, they replaced it anyhow..

better the core, I had to buy a 24mm socket and grind the end flat to get the older pedal off.. new one is easier..

they make that piece in Titanium too..

Old 03-03-18, 10:29 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
I also like Brompton folding pedal (only one folds). They grip well and close about as small QR pedals. Some find them small but I am OK with their size.
Old 03-03-18, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the right pedal does not have to fold, because the front wheel , folded back, ends up on that side,

but the core piece that screws into the crank arm is offered to use the rest of another pedal-bearing assembly on the right side.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-03-18 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-03-18, 01:48 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Brompton right/drive side pedal has a history of going bad fast. Depends on usage of course;
lots of miles, how much you stand, how much you weight, etc. But if you like the shape/feel;
there are rebuild kits available.
R-Force, Eggbeaters 3, MKS Cube by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 05-30-19, 10:57 PM
dalefreed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very happy with the Bromfoot, an add-on extension to the folding pedal. I'm new to the forum, and so can't post a link (10 posts required first!), but it is an easy search.
Old 09-23-19, 03:25 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
MKS FP7 have been tearing up several pairs of my shoes' soles really fast. Maybe I need to grind them down?
Old 09-23-19, 03:39 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by dalefreed
I've been very happy with the Bromfoot, an add-on extension to the folding pedal. I'm new to the forum, and so can't post a link (10 posts required first!), but it is an easy search.
Fun FAct - Bromfoot was invented by the same guy who create my new electric drive, the OneMotor. He rides a brompton.
Old 09-24-19, 06:22 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
I have the Welgo F265 (or F278? aluminum body) on my bike, and they're pretty slippery. I thought the little "pins" on the folding part might give some grip, but there's none to be had. I'm on the hunt for something else.

The stock rubbery pedals on my Dahon were significantly grippier.

Originally Posted by shabydog
Hi,
I live in an area where the winter season is short and 9 months are completly dry.
If so, the MSK 7?

Yesterday I took the F284 (just 20.50$). They better than the factory ones but still not so grippy as I want to.
I wonder if the MSK 7 are more "grippy".

Wonder if it possible to put in tiny setscrews into the plastic F284...(?)

What about the Brompton folding pedal?
Is it grippy more than others?

Best option is definitely something as Wellgo R146R as it compact enough folding them but not sure how is possible completly fold the bicycle with them.

What is the right sulotion for a pedal that will hold my shoes/sandals on it but able to fold or at least compact so it would not stick out more than few cm from the frame?
For your convenience I added a photos of all the options.

Thank you VERY much!

Last edited by seat_boy; 09-24-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 05:00 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
At risk of sounding dense, what do you actually consider pedal failure?
Not free spinning? Binding?
Falling off spindle?
Breakage at fold?
I'm not trying to come across as dense but I have multiple foldies with a broad range of pedals and, while some of them don't free spin, they'll seem to work and haven't broken.
Since these bikes are not particularly efficient I don't tend to be as critical of bearing function short of failure like I do on lightweight full-size bikes.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 10-10-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 04:35 PM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Skimming through this thread, I would've initially recommended some Wellgo quick release pedals such as https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Releas.../dp/B078BBB5KS

However, I went on a ride today on a downhill descent and my fat size 12 foot accidentally tapped the quick release mechanism... losing a pedal in the process and almost having a heart attack. If someone has a solution to this better than being very mindful of foot placement, then I would be more inclined to recommend them.
Old 10-09-19, 04:53 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC
Skimming through this thread, I would've initially recommended some Wellgo quick release pedals such as https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Releas.../dp/B078BBB5KS

However, I went on a ride today on a downhill descent and my fat size 12 foot accidentally tapped the quick release mechanism... losing a pedal in the process and almost having a heart attack. If someone has a solution to this better than being very mindful of foot placement, then I would be more inclined to recommend them.
My feet are 11.5W, so I recommended the folding pedals I did because of their size, strength, reliability, and cost effectiveness.

Wellgo F265 Folding Pedals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wellgo F284 FoldingPedals (currently out of stock, but the composite model of the F265, still strong but lighter weight): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-09-19, 11:24 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Look at these...

I think you should consider the Sunlite folding pedals. I bought a pair years ago for a 20 inch Greenzone folder that I used for recreation and commuting and was most pleased with how solid, stable and "grippy" they were for the money. When I sold the bike, the pedals were still installed on it and in perfect condition. Here is a listing I found on eBay for just under $20 bucks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-Ped...2082874ee2f144

Good luck!

Originally Posted by shabydog
Hi.
For Tern c7.
I would love to hear recommandations for folding pedals.
Espesialy for hold(no straps) the foot on them.
I searched and found few...but just want to hear from you.
Up to 30$ at most.
Thanks very much!
Old 10-10-19, 09:30 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by BCATC

The "airchuck" style of removable pedals use a little plastic clip to deal with this.
the Q111 style need to be squeezed
maybe a clip to block this is in order , though that kinda defeats the convenience
Old 10-10-19, 09:54 AM
BCATC

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
The "airchuck" style of removable pedals use a little plastic clip to deal with this.
the Q111 style need to be squeezed https://youtu.be/gDwAbGuL16o maybe a clip to block this is in order , though that kinda defeats the convenience

I have the second generation QRD quick release mechanism and... apparently they included sets of locking washers to prevent this accidental releasing. Wasn’t made clear in their installation instructions and I have no idea if I even have those washers in my parts bin
Old 10-10-19, 02:29 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
MKS EZY models has circlips to prevent unwanted removal.
Although most folks don't bother using them; myself included.
No problems for the most part.

MKS EZY Superior models require that you line up dots before
they will separate. Making accidental(and/or intended) decoupling
harder:

MKS ESPRIT SUPERIOR PEDALS by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 10-11-19, 06:00 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
One problem with the EZY Superior is that the release knob has a larger diameter than the original EZY. I used to have the Esprit Superior like the photo in the post above, but the bottom of my shoes would rub on the release knob. I switch to the EZY Superior Urban Platform, which has a higher top than the Esprit, so my shoes do not rub the release knob anymore. However, the Urban Platform has these annoying tabs on the inside that prevent you from putting your feet as close to the crank arms as possible, so I filled down the tabs.
https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/56

I use the MKS cage clip, full length version, without a strap. The steel bars are easy to bend by hand to fit your shoes. I tried the steel plate version, toe clip, but I couldn't bent them easily, and so I was stuck with whatever height that they're formed with. The cage clip is also high enough to fit thick boots. But I don't want to keep bending them back and forth whenever I switch between boots and normal street shoes. I don't know if I should get a second pair of pedals just for that. I also used to have the plastic Zefal's toe cage, and they worked ok for boots, but they were too high for normal street shoes.
https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/153
Old 10-17-19, 05:06 AM
YoniG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for light, inexpensive, detachable pedals. Has anyone tried the Promend PD-R50 quick release pedals?

They're 300g, look good, and not expensive (under $30).

I'm new to the forum and can't post a URL, but the pedals can be found in eBay under "Promend Quick Release Sealed 3 Bearing Pedals Bicycle Folding Bike MTB Pedal"
Old 10-17-19, 06:39 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
The X shaped ones would not give you much foot support. The others are all shipped form China so expect to wait a month or 2 to see them. Me I like to touch before I buy. Roger
Old 10-17-19, 12:37 PM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
The X shaped ones i tried, and then unmounted them. They might work if the axles were 3cm longer.