Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Road boost

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Road boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 12:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
Road boost

110x12mm. It's just annoying. I always hope these silly variants will die off, but companies just make hubs with different caps so it's no problem for them and they probably make a little money selling conversion kits for $75. I guess they wouldn't get any notice if they just adopted 15mmx110, which is so similar it probably will fit in most road boost forks.

I was pretty sure the industry would go to boost in the back, and they didn't disappoint. That doesn't really matter to me because it's the same as MTB, if you ignore the weird variants that won't die out.
Old 02-04-21, 09:16 AM
8aaron8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Money must be made! It does get tiring and the pace seems to have quickened as of late in terms of "innovation." I don't mean to sound cynical, ultimately we all get to choose what we want to buy and what we want to ride, so the more the merrier.
Likes For 8aaron8:
Old 02-04-21, 10:12 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 8aaron8
Money must be made! It does get tiring and the pace seems to have quickened as of late in terms of "innovation." I don't mean to sound cynical, ultimately we all get to choose what we want to buy and what we want to ride, so the more the merrier.
I have had the luxury of mostly ignoring these new standards as I only build for myself. Investing in the additional tooling doesn't make sense for my needs.

Off topic, Aaron are you AR Cycles in Sac?
Old 02-04-21, 12:29 PM
8aaron8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I have had the luxury of mostly ignoring these new standards as I only build for myself. Investing in the additional tooling doesn't make sense for my needs.

Off topic, Aaron are you AR Cycles in Sac?
As a small builder the cost of tooling up is often prohibitive as you don't know how many orders you will actually see of the newest standard. Maybe someone asks for for "X" and you figure okay this frame will pay for the tooling with the hopes you will get more customers asking for "X." This has not been my experience however.

Also, yes this is Aaron of AR Cycles. Have we met?
Likes For 8aaron8:
Old 02-04-21, 01:18 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 8aaron8
As a small builder the cost of tooling up is often prohibitive as you don't know how many orders you will actually see of the newest standard. Maybe someone asks for for "X" and you figure okay this frame will pay for the tooling with the hopes you will get more customers asking for "X." This has not been my experience however.

Also, yes this is Aaron of AR Cycles. Have we met?
Hey Aaron, I'm Chris. We met at the last local NAHBS. I had also taken Tim's class.
Old 02-04-21, 03:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I take part of the blame because I only recently bought 100x12 TA dummy axles for forks. So now I'm stuck worrying if I should hold out for 110x12. It's really a waste for me as a hobbyist, but I don't like to be too out of date when I actually get a bike finished.

There are so many weird "standards" on production bikes nowadays it's hard to keep track. Most of them are just variants of something that otherwise exists. For example, there are some TA rear that have the NDS dropout slotted. Nobody has to worry about what standard it meets until something needs to be replaced.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-05-21, 02:57 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I take part of the blame because I only recently bought 100x12 TA dummy axles for forks. .
Dang it! Why did you go do that?! It's like washing your car. Pretty much guarantees it's going to rain.
Likes For duanedr:
Old 02-05-21, 08:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Yes, they introduced 100x12mm within a month of when I bought 100x15 dummy axles. So I just had a feeling about this.
Likes For unterhausen: