Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Assessing steel frame damage

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 02-18-21, 03:40 PM
MillieTheCat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I chose the frame builders forum for this as I thought I’d get advice from the experts!

I’ve just started work building a second bike and I’ve noticed the frame that I’ve inherited is a tad bent.

Not sure how it happened as I don’t really know the history, how unsafe would it be to ride?

I’ve ridden it briefly and the steering is very very twitchy, and I feel it may be mildly Mia-aligned now but that could also be an issue with the spare wheels that I have.

I understand that the risk is my own to take regardless of everyone’s advice.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

S

Underside of frame cable hole

Slight kink in cut-out

Top tube noticeably bent downwards

Is this bent to the left slightly?

S
Old 02-18-21, 03:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
Do you see a downtube bend? I wonder if someone added an internal brake line to a frame that was made under stress, and it buckled at the opening.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-18-21, 03:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
I'm not sure what specifically are the concerns... so I'll just say some stuff.

The brake cable port and front underside of the TT- Are the squiggly lines cracks, rust fingers or the uneven edges of the paint that's under the primer? I see no obvious tube ripples in the usual locations to suspect a front end impact. I do see some odd lump adjacent to the cable port. It could be brass filler that had gooped up there and was never fully removed during the making of this frame. Or it could be a bad Bondoing of something that's not wanted to be shown to a buyer Have you placed a straight edge along the top tube's upper side to see if the tube is bowed, or straight? Same with the down tube.

No good views of the fork so can't say much about possible bend back from a frontal impact. The pic from above is off angle enough to not be useable as any reference for the fork being splayed to one side or the other. One view that would be good to see is from the dead on front with the fork rotated 90*, the head tube and fork blades will line up.

Can you provide more info about this frame? Looks to be a Raleigh and by the thick head badge one of the Asian ones. There were some nice models but the vast majority that most shops sold were fairly base lever examples. You mention the twitchy steering. Compared to what bike? Is there a local shop or "frame guy" that can take a look at the bike? Don't be surprised if the aligning is worth more then the bike is (if the bike is one of the basic models). Andy
Old 02-18-21, 04:32 PM
MillieTheCat

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here’s so more images to try and show the slight bends in the top and down tubes. The forks seem to be fine when turned 90 degrees both ways.

By “twitchy” steering I mean as if someone has tried to adjust the castor to improve responsiveness, so the forks are more near vertical than usual.

The frame is a UK built Raleigh made in Nottingham I believe.
Old 02-18-21, 05:24 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
It sure looks like a traditional front impact that was made worse by the unsupported internal routing hole (that is in the worst possible locations btw).
Old 02-18-21, 09:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
I now agree with Cynikal. The additional images are telling. Thanks for them.

I would likely not put much, if any, $ into this bike. Both the impacted frame and the internal routed cable are deal breakers for me. While it can be bent into a different geometry it is hard to know what was OEM spec was. I suggest finding a frame that hasn't suffered so badly (and maybe has better paint) Andy
Old 02-19-21, 03:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
Are you sure the fork blades haven't been bent back?
Old 02-19-21, 06:51 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Definitely bent from a frontal impact, so the head tube angle is steeper than intended. I wouldn't have any concerns with riding it, just keep an eye on that unsupported cable routing hole in the top tube.
Likes For dsaul: