Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another bad sidewall

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another bad sidewall

Old 03-23-23, 07:12 AM
  #26  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Are you implying that mine might be fake?
Your picture doesnít resemble the current GP4S. Here is the stock photo, notice the complex tread figuring. Your tire looks smooth to me in your photo. Maybe post other pics of your tire?



Otto
ofajen is offline  
Likes For ofajen:
Old 03-23-23, 07:18 AM
  #27  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,437

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
My preferences are VeloFlex and Vittoria.
Conti 5000 rides like their Gatorskin, IMHO; and since I do not live in 'goathead land', one pair is all I will ever know.
I normally use S5000s, and had to mount a Gatorskin when I damaged a sidewall on a RR track on tour. At first I thought I was riding on my rim because the Gatorskin was so unforgiving. Gotta remember to take that puppy off before I start riding this spring!
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 07:18 AM
  #28  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 2,448

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's certainly very worn, squared off.
I can assure you mine is just dirty, not worn. I will admit that the 2 tires look considerably different. Maybe mine was an older model that was hanging around at the shop for too long?
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 07:20 AM
  #29  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 2,448

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 506 Posts
More pics

TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 08:19 AM
  #30  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,046
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3607 Post(s)
Liked 3,888 Times in 2,463 Posts
That looks very squared off for 300 miles. Have you been running very low pressure?
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-23-23, 09:41 AM
  #31  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,034

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3735 Post(s)
Liked 4,378 Times in 2,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have known both, and you, sir are no Gatorskin. Have ridden on 4 sets of Gators and 3 sets of Conti 5000s, tubeless and tubed, and in my very humble opinion, what are you smoking?
My sit bones are smoking supple sidewalls - and addicted.

If I deflate the 5000s to ~85psi the ride approaches the feel of Vittoria at 100 and Veloflex at 110. The Veloflex tires are tubular, the Vittoria both tubular/clincher. 5000 = clincher. Actually I have not ridden a Gatorskin in 20 yrs, so I apologize for that comparison - maybe 'Skins have become even more 'durable' for those who need them.

Ride what you please. All Conti's if you're happy. I try most all of them - Schwalbe, Pirelli, Challenge, Mavic, etc. Durability is not a priority for me. Puncture resistance a secondary consideration on all but the tandem which rolls Marathon Plus.
Veloflex tubies rule, give them a try.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-23-23 at 09:46 AM.
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-23-23, 10:36 AM
  #32  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 12,437

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 444 Posts
IT looks like there's something sitting on top of OP's 4-season, blocking view of the tread. The sidewall looks like it took a hit, maybe from a rock. I used to have that problem with GPs in the past - take one stone in a dirty corner and it'd start snapping cords in the sidewalls.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 03-23-23, 12:21 PM
  #33  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
IT looks like there's something sitting on top of OP's 4-season, blocking view of the tread. The sidewall looks like it took a hit, maybe from a rock. I used to have that problem with GPs in the past - take one stone in a dirty corner and it'd start snapping cords in the sidewalls.
yes - must be the fender (obscuring view of top of tire in first pic)

initially did not realize OP has fenders installed until additional pics provided

yes - also recall sidewall issue when I ran Conti GP’s back in the 90’s ... due to a run-in with a rock or whatever

I avoid rough / gravel type stuff with 32mm GP4S as much as possible - great tire but not the most durable tire for the nastier stuff ... 32mm not sufficient width for that stuff

Conti recently introduced a new GP5K AS (All Season) or something like that available in 35mm ... there is also the GP Urban available in 35mm ... 35mm still not ideal not nasty stuff - but better than 32mm

Last edited by t2p; 03-23-23 at 12:28 PM.
t2p is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 02:21 PM
  #34  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That looks very squared off for 300 miles. Have you been running very low pressure?
agree

just looked at my rear 32mm GP4S that has just under 300 miles - still resembles new tire ...
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-23-23, 02:27 PM
  #35  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,129
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17760 Post(s)
Liked 14,107 Times in 6,696 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
agree

just looked at my rear 32mm GP4S that has just under 300 miles - still resembles new tire ...
Same here.

Taking some time to pull our legs?
indyfabz is offline  
Old 03-24-23, 08:31 AM
  #36  
KerryIrons
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 567 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That looks very squared off for 300 miles. Have you been running very low pressure?
Actually, low pressure reduces wear because it spreads the scrubbing force over more rubber. It can result in casing damage due to excessive flexing and the tire getting compressed against the rim.

Regards the original post: that sure looks like a cut to me, suggestive of hitting something sharp on the road. The picture quality is not good enough to be sure about that conclusion, but surely the OP can look carefully at the tire and see if it just failed or was cut. I have put nearly 150K miles on GP 4000s and GP 5000s and while I have had sidewall cuts, I never have had a failure due to a manufacturing issue. If that was my tire and I determined it was a cut, I would have ZERO issue booting it and riding it until it wore out (mounted on the rear wheel, since front tires don't wear out).
KerryIrons is offline  
Old 03-24-23, 08:58 AM
  #37  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7,046
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3607 Post(s)
Liked 3,888 Times in 2,463 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Actually, low pressure reduces wear because it spreads the scrubbing force over more rubber. It can result in casing damage due to excessive flexing and the tire getting compressed against the rim.
That's a debatable comment but I meant that it looks like this tyre may have been running with an unusually wide, square contact patch i.e. at very low pressure. This may or may not be the reason for the sidewall issue. But since it's an isolated patch of damage, it's probably damage from road debris or perhaps a kerb.
PeteHski is offline  
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-24-23, 09:03 AM
  #38  
KerryIrons
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 567 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's a debatable comment but I meant that it looks like this tyre may have been running with an unusually wide, square contact patch i.e. at very low pressure. This may or may not be the reason for the sidewall issue. But since it's an isolated patch of damage, it's probably damage from road debris or perhaps a kerb.
Not really debatable. Tire wear (scrubbing of rubber from the tire) is due to the force applied from pedaling. There is a tiny amount of wear from braking forces, but a front tire will die of old age long before it loses enough rubber to be worn out. Since, for a given rider, pedal force on the tire is consistent, lower pressure means a larger contact patch means less scrubbing force per unit area means slower tire wear. Basic physics combined with basic material properties.
KerryIrons is offline  
Old 03-24-23, 10:10 AM
  #39  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,334
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,629 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Basic physics combined with basic material properties.
Whoa now, you're losing us! Probably most of us have no physics beyond HS and zero training in material properties. We're more likely to grasp the more common WAG.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 03-24-23, 10:23 AM
  #40  
Iride01 
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,160

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5842 Post(s)
Liked 4,466 Times in 3,078 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Not really debatable. Tire wear (scrubbing of rubber from the tire) is due to the force applied from pedaling. There is a tiny amount of wear from braking forces, but a front tire will die of old age long before it loses enough rubber to be worn out. Since, for a given rider, pedal force on the tire is consistent, lower pressure means a larger contact patch means less scrubbing force per unit area means slower tire wear. Basic physics combined with basic material properties.
Of course it is debatable. But maybe not if you are only focusing on the tread wear side of overall picture.

I tend to think that with a tire operated at low pressures, giving a much wider contact patch that the sidewall of the tire where that contact patch bulges will be exposed to more gravel and debris laying on the trail. But maybe not. I've not really seen a good cross section view of how that bulge really looks.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 03-25-23, 07:30 AM
  #41  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
So many threads on Conti tire defects. Not sure whether that's because of some actual QC issues or just because they are one of the biggest sellers out there, so sooner or later, there will be defective ones.

I personally see Conti tires as a religion for some. My view is that there have always been better choices for less $$.
Lombard is offline  
Old 03-25-23, 07:46 AM
  #42  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 808 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
So many threads on Conti tire defects. Not sure whether that's because of some actual QC issues or just because they are one of the biggest sellers out there, so sooner or later, there will be defective ones.

I personally see Conti tires as a religion for some. My view is that there have always been better choices for less $$.
there are other good choices - and many just donít want or need more expensive tires

but better for less $$ - probably not too many (?) - but it can depend on the individual rider and conditions

most of the tires that perform at Contiís top level tires will have similar cost
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-25-23, 08:01 AM
  #43  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
there are other good choices - and many just donít want or need more expensive tires

but better for less $$ - probably not too many (?) - but it can depend on the individual rider and conditions

most of the tires that perform at Contiís top level tires will have similar cost
In my own experience, I cannot feel any difference between "top level" tires and mid-level tires. I have compared top of the line Vittoria Open Corsas with mid-level Vittoria Rubino Pros. I cannot feel a difference.

I can however feel a difference between mid-level tires and entry level budget tires. I guess it's true what they say about diminishing returns.
Lombard is offline  
Old 03-26-23, 08:42 AM
  #44  
KerryIrons
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 567 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Of course it is debatable. But maybe not if you are only focusing on the tread wear side of overall picture.
Tread wear IS tire wear. Tire failure due to casing damage is not tire wear. If you want to posit that tires run at lower pressures fail sooner, you should offer more than conjecture.
KerryIrons is offline  
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 03-28-23, 01:35 PM
  #45  
Iride01 
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,160

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5842 Post(s)
Liked 4,466 Times in 3,078 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Tread wear IS tire wear. Tire failure due to casing damage is not tire wear. If you want to posit that tires run at lower pressures fail sooner, you should offer more than conjecture.
But the OP's issue isn't treadwear. It was the scuff mark on the sidewall that I thought they ask about. So why is treadwear even a concern for this OP unless some didn't realize that that is a fender on the bike in the original picture and not the tread pattern worn off.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 03-29-23, 08:10 AM
  #46  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 1,417 Times in 808 Posts


Originally Posted by Iride01
But the OP's issue isn't treadwear. It was the scuff mark on the sidewall that I thought they ask about. So why is treadwear even a concern for this OP unless some didn't realize that that is a fender on the bike in the original picture and not the tread pattern worn off.
we finally got past the picture with the fender over the tire ... finally ... I think ... (?)

the (second) issue was the tire appeared to be fairly worn / squared given the low miles (picture was provided above - attached again)

for reference - I have the same tires / same size with approx same miles and they display almost no visible signs of wear
t2p is offline  
Old 03-29-23, 09:34 AM
  #47  
Iride01 
I'm good to go!
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 14,160

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5842 Post(s)
Liked 4,466 Times in 3,078 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p




we finally got past the picture with the fender over the tire ... finally ... I think ... (?)

the (second) issue was the tire appeared to be fairly worn / squared given the low miles (picture was provided above - attached again)

for reference - I have the same tires / same size with approx same miles and they display almost no visible signs of wear
The pattern on the tires is still visible, at least mostly visible. But I'll go with fairly worn as an okay description. Though I don't consider that much wear to be concerned with.

What is more concerning is how much of the pattern is showing wear and where the apparent crease is that makes it looked squared off. I tend to think that the tire pressure isn't monitored and the tire is allowed to go from a more normal inflation where the loops of the pattern barely are in the contact patch to a low inflation where a majority of the loop is part of the contact patch and maybe the tire is bulged out so much while being ridden that the rim is actually making that crease that makes it look squared off.

With a tire bulged out that much on the contact patch the sidewall might easily be damaged or get scuffed by stones or other debris.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 03-29-23, 10:18 AM
  #48  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 8,466

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 2,204 Times in 1,072 Posts
That sidewall looks to be where a seam is and may just be excess material. As far as all the concern on the wear, if they carry a load or are a larger rider, I would think that was normal.
curbtender is offline  
Old 03-29-23, 06:56 PM
  #49  
DangerousDanR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 765

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 240 Posts
This is what a GP5000 TL sidewall failure looks like.


DangerousDanR is online now  
Old 03-29-23, 10:15 PM
  #50  
PDKL45
Senior Member
 
PDKL45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Korea
Posts: 759

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 108 Posts
I had Gatorskins with sidewalls that did basically the same. There's something about that mesh-type sidewall material that wants to delaminate where it's joined IMO. I went with Lifeline tires (a CRC house brand) after that and had a horrendous sidewall failure on my way to work, managing to limp in to the office after depleting my puncture repair kit and using my spare tube. Not the same defect--the Lifeline's threads had pulled out of the bead en-masse in one spot--but the lack of quality and need for reliability in commuting (as well as the only available 700x32c tire) led me to a tire that I once swore I'd never ride again. The Schwalbe Marathon. It's a slippery slope to turning your bike into a tractor once you have a failure or two, man, keep the faith.
PDKL45 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.