Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another bad sidewall

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another bad sidewall

Old 03-30-23, 02:08 PM
  #51  
georges1
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 2,019

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Your picture doesn’t resemble the current GP4S. Here is the stock photo, notice the complex tread figuring. Your tire looks smooth to me in your photo. Maybe post other pics of your tire?



Otto
I bought a dozen of gp four seasons tires from bike24 in 700*23 and this one is the genuine tire. Also purchased slime tubes for avoiding flats
georges1 is offline  
Old 03-30-23, 02:21 PM
  #52  
georges1
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 2,019

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
there are other good choices - and many just donít want or need more expensive tires

but better for less $$ - probably not too many (?) - but it can depend on the individual rider and conditions

most of the tires that perform at Contiís top level tires will have similar cost
Hutchinson, Michelin, Panaracer and Schwalbe are good alternatives. As for Vittoria, my father had too many flats with the Vittoria Tecno Twin Tread Kevlar. Tufo, Clement an Veloflex are very expensive and fragile, back in my race days I have seen many people having flats and cuts with these tires brands. Most of the riders in the road cycling pro peloton ride Continental tires/tubulars.I have Continental on two of my four mountain bikes and they take abuse like another tire. My oldest MTB Tires are 2009 Hutchinson Toro Tubeless tires never had a leak nor a single flat with them.
georges1 is offline  
Old 03-31-23, 05:27 AM
  #53  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Hutchinson, Michelin, Panaracer and Schwalbe are good alternatives. As for Vittoria, my father had too many flats with the Vittoria Tecno Twin Tread Kevlar. Tufo, Clement an Veloflex are very expensive and fragile, back in my race days I have seen many people having flats and cuts with these tires brands. Most of the riders in the road cycling pro peloton ride Continental tires/tubulars.I have Continental on two of my four mountain bikes and they take abuse like another tire. My oldest MTB Tires are 2009 Hutchinson Toro Tubeless tires never had a leak nor a single flat with them.
I exclusively use either Vittoria Rubino Pros or Panaracer Gravel King slicks. I ride about 3500 miles per year and get a flat less than once a year.
Lombard is offline  
Old 03-31-23, 06:17 AM
  #54  
shelbyfv
Expired Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 11,329
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 5,167 Times in 2,624 Posts
^^^Despite the name, I've found the Gravelking slicks to be a decent road tire. They weigh less than expected, mount easily and are of consistent quality- no surprises. Made in Japan.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-31-23, 06:48 AM
  #55  
Lombard
Sock Puppet
 
Lombard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,698

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^Despite the name, I've found the Gravelking slicks to be a decent road tire. They weigh less than expected, mount easily and are of consistent quality- no surprises. Made in Japan.
^^^This.^^^
Lombard is offline  
Old 04-01-23, 10:37 AM
  #56  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
I bought a dozen of gp four seasons tires from bike24 in 700*23 and this one is the genuine tire. Also purchased slime tubes for avoiding flats
I got confused by the fender that obscured all the tread. Misinterpreted that as smooth tread.

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 04-01-23, 03:27 PM
  #57  
RiceAWay
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wow almost looks like a manufacture defect?
No it doesn't. That is almost always from hitting the curb.
RiceAWay is offline  
Old 04-01-23, 04:06 PM
  #58  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 4,695
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked 2,355 Times in 1,341 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Most of the riders in the road cycling pro peloton ride Continental tires/tubulars.
Had to look that up. From this page:

"Leading the pack this year [2022] are Continental (6 teams [tubeless and tubular]) and Vittoria (6 teams [tubular]) among the 22 participating teams.

The rest are made up of Pirelli (4 teams [tubular]), Specialized (3 teams [clinchers!]), Michelin (2 teams [not specified]) and Maxxis (1 team [tubeless])."
Trakhak is online now  
Old 04-01-23, 04:10 PM
  #59  
georges1
Steel is real
 
georges1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Not far from Paris
Posts: 2,019

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Had to look that up. From this page:

"Leading the pack this year [2022] are Continental (6 teams [tubeless and tubular]) and Vittoria (6 teams [tubular]) among the 22 participating teams.

The rest are made up of Pirelli (4 teams [tubular]), Specialized (3 teams [clinchers!]), Michelin (2 teams [not specified]) and Maxxis (1 team [tubeless])."
thanks for the correction, my apologizesBut my choices would be Continental followed by Specialized.
georges1 is offline  
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-01-23, 04:41 PM
  #60  
RiceAWay
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I've had the wire pull out of the bead on three Conti's. I don't use them on anything now.

YMMV of course
I used Gatorskins for a long time and wire or folding bead were never a problem. Now maybe they make a cheaper tire that you had trouble with but I have put 10's of thousands of miles on the Gatorskins and the only trouble I had with them is absolutely horrible wet traction. So I changed over to GP5000's. No more flats than on the Gatorskins, far better traction but I only get about 1,500 miles on the tires if that. Now I am 6'4" and 195 lbs and my rides are hilly so that effects mileage.
RiceAWay is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.