Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good basic hybrid

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Looking for a good basic hybrid

Old 01-18-22, 08:24 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I don't have any experience with the bikes you mentioned but a few weeks ago i took a chance on a steel Marin Muirwoods 2021 that was on special for $750 and pulled the plug. I have converted it to 1x9 along with a few other upgrades and i think it's a great all around heavy duty bike. I have only been able to go around the block a few times due to injuries but it felt very comfortable, even more so than my Sirrus.
Old 01-25-22, 08:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpacer
I don't have any experience with the bikes you mentioned but a few weeks ago i took a chance on a steel Marin Muirwoods 2021 that was on special for $750 and pulled the plug. I have converted it to 1x9 along with a few other upgrades and i think it's a great all around heavy duty bike. I have only been able to go around the block a few times due to injuries but it felt very comfortable, even more so than my Sirrus.
Pics?
Old 01-25-22, 11:35 PM
slowpacer

Tons of tire clearance. The stock tires are 40mm wide and surprisingly ride well, although as i said, i haven't been able to ride much recently.
Changed:
- zero setback seatpost
- Ergon ST saddle
- Shimano Zee cranckset + bottom bracket
- SQ lab handlebar
- SQ lab inner bar ends
- ODI grips

Old 01-26-22, 10:23 AM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
VERY cool! Love the black too!

How do you like those inner bar ends? I like the idea of changing hand position, even during the short rides I make.
Old 01-26-22, 01:29 PM
slowpacer

Originally Posted by Chickenwings
VERY cool! Love the black too!

How do you like those inner bar ends? I like the idea of changing hand position, even during the short rides I make.
Thanks. These bar ends give another hand position and the good thing is that brake levers are easily operated when using them. However i find them to be too small and i wear size small gloves. They also kind of lock in your hands in place that becomes hard to slightly move your hands around. Prior to these i had Giant bar ends mounted in the same position wrapped with bar tape and like them better, will probably go back to them at some point.
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 01-26-22, 01:32 PM
Chickenwings

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Thanks S.P. I appreciate the review!
Old 01-26-22, 01:36 PM
slowpacer

Originally Posted by Chickenwings
Thanks S.P. I appreciate the review!
You're welcome.
Old 01-27-22, 12:33 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
How do you like those Vee Speedsters in your size? I have a set of them in 26x3.5" size that I've had on my Surly Pugsley, but they self-steer some kind of awful...likely more related to the size than anything. Do they feel more or less like any other bike tire you've had in your size? As you begin to lean in to a corner, does it feel like the bike wants to unnaturally steer itself further and further into the turn, forcing you to intervene, or does the bike more or less ride naturally like it did before them?

Otherwise...how about things like ride comfort and noise? Generally satisifed with them? They look good...and I hear the wear like iron.
Old 01-27-22, 01:44 PM
slowpacer

I have only ridden them around the neighborhood a few times because i've had a fractured femur for a couple of months now as result of being rear ended by a careless driver. That said, i haven't noticed any of the characteristics you mentioned. They roll as well as my 35mm Panaracer T-serves if not better. I have not noticed any abnormal tire noise or steering abnormality but i haven't been able to go fast.

Hopefully, in a week or two i will be able to go for longer rides and see how they really perform. When i do, i will make sure to watch out for the things you mentioned and will post about it in the forum.
Likes For slowpacer:
Old 01-27-22, 02:39 PM
akbejeepin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulation!
Old 01-27-22, 02:39 PM
akbejeepin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks Good!
Old 01-28-22, 06:39 PM
slowpacer

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
How do you like those Vee Speedsters in your size? I have a set of them in 26x3.5" size that I've had on my Surly Pugsley, but they self-steer some kind of awful...likely more related to the size than anything. Do they feel more or less like any other bike tire you've had in your size? As you begin to lean in to a corner, does it feel like the bike wants to unnaturally steer itself further and further into the turn, forcing you to intervene, or does the bike more or less ride naturally like it did before them?

Otherwise...how about things like ride comfort and noise? Generally satisifed with them? They look good...and I hear the wear like iron.
I was able to ride around the block a few times today and noticed a little oversteering (or whatever it's called) like you mentioned, then i swapped the front wheel with another one that has 32mm Panaracer GK Slick tire and it felt more or less the same to me. I think the steering characteristic you mention could be related to headset but can't be sure.
As for noise, yes it does make some road buzz on pavement but it doesn't sound annoying to me, the Panaracer Slicks are virtually silent compared to them but it is expected because of tire size and pattern.
Comfy-wise, they are comfortable but not too cushy. Both tires at 60-65psi (both new) and the Vee felt slightly more comfortable.

I don't have experience with this tire's flat protection or long term wear but looks like Marin made a good tire choice considering the price of this bike. Would i buy it again? If the price is right i would, but seems like they're selling for more or less same as Panaracer GKs in which case i would not.
Likes For slowpacer: