Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter cycling cap for BIG HEADS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 02:00 PM
jimh12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Who makes a good winter cycling cap that's REALLY AN XL? Not a one-size. Not that "L/XL" baloney. Not a hat with a bigger circumference, but the same earlaps as the "M", so they don't cover your ears. Not something that can "stretch to fit", and feels like a radiator hose clamp around your skull.

A true XL, for winter, preferably wool, with earlaps that fully cover the ears and block the wind.

I've looked and looked and I actually don't think there is one. I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Last edited by jimh12345; 01-18-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 02:45 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Good luck with that. I think the industry either sells one size fits all or S/M and X/XL choice. It's always hard to find products when you're not sized like the average joe, isn't it?

Perhaps you should consider a custom order (is that even possible?).
Old 01-18-22, 02:49 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by jimh12345
Who makes a good winter cycling cap that's REALLY AN XL? Not a one-size. Not that "L/XL" baloney. Not a hat with a bigger circumference, but the same earlaps as the "M", so they don't cover your ears. Not something that can "stretch to fit", and feels like a radiator hose clamp around your skull.
There's a Winter Cycling subforum that would be better for this question (so maybe this'll get moved there). I learned everything I know about winter commuting/cycling from that sub.

I also have an XL head and find it hard to find comfortable sweat caps. To me wool seems kind of thick for under a helmet, even if it is an XL helmet, and wool isn't very windproof.

In the winter, when it gets cold enough to cover my ears (20-35F) I wear a thin wind-resistant poly balaclava that's quite stretchy, and I don't cover my mouth with it, unless needed.

And when it's even colder (5-20F) and I want to cover my full face (nose and mouth), I wear a heavier balaclava designed for skiing, that has small holes in the mouth area and under the nose piece (although I enlarged the mouth holes big enough to fit your finger through, for easier heavy breathing), and I'll sometimes supplement it with quality anti-fog ski goggles if I want every square inch of skin protected.

Last edited by Riveting; 01-18-22 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 03:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

A true XL, for winter, preferably wool, with earlaps that fully cover the ears and block the wind.

I've looked and looked and I actually don't think there is one. I'd be happy to be proven wrong!
What have you tried so far? What's your melon circumference?
Old 01-18-22, 05:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Maybe try one of these.. a bit of a different design, but comes in sizes at least
https://www.gripgrab.com/collections...er-cycling-cap
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-18-22, 05:46 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,030 Posts
A small-headed man, I cannot speak to how large Kask’s size L winter cycling helmet liner is, but they say it fits up 62cm, it’s Merino wool, and based on the size M I have, the ear and neck coverage is good…definitely much better than too small, universal sized Pearl Izumi Barrier skull cap I also have.

The Kask piece is designed to be fitted by removing the regular pads, and as such, I find the M well-fitting, but again, cannot speak to what an XL ought to be.

As has been suggested upthread, a lightweight (i.e. thin) polypropylene balaclava is an essential piece of kit, because the full neck coverage is really ace to keeping chill at bay when it’s properly cold. Throwing my skullcap on top of that is my cold-as-it-gets kit; I don’t need more than that, even into single digits.

But back to the Kask, it’s a nice piece and works best for me during shoulder seasons, when it’s not brutally cold, but I’m not yet acclimated to the frosty bite of near-freezing temps. Worth checking out, IMO. I got mine from Rubber n’ Road.

https://www.kask.com/en/kask-world/c...-cap_36_28.htm
Old 01-18-22, 06:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Who makes a good winter cycling cap that's REALLY AN XL? Not a one-size. Not that "L/XL" baloney. Not a hat with a bigger circumference, but the same earlaps as the "M", so they don't cover your ears. Not something that can "stretch to fit", and feels like a radiator hose clamp around your skull.A true XL, for winter, preferably wool, with earlaps that fully cover the ears and block the wind.I've looked and looked and I actually don't think there is one. I'd be happy to be proven wrong!
got curious & just googled winter cycling cap & see that there's lots to choose from. understandable that you want confirmation on sizing. sometimes Amazon reviewers mention sizing. you might look there? wish I could help you but I'm a balaclava user
Old 01-23-22, 06:51 PM
jimh12345

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Will repost

Didn't know there was a winter cycling forum. I'll repost there.
Old 01-23-22, 07:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
great idea
Old 01-26-22, 07:59 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW/FYI: While they're one size fits all I found the Giordana winter cap & the skull cap w' ear covers rather large on my med size mellon.
Old 01-26-22, 08:04 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I wear a snowboard helmet with removable ear pads / covers.