Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Saddle recommendation

Old 09-28-21, 07:43 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Let some air out of your tires. Just 2 PSi can make a big difference in rear-end comfort on gravel. Helps with the hands and the feet too.

Originally Posted by Dr1v3n
I have Giant Revolt Advanced, which came with a Giant Approach saddle. I actually really like the saddle for roads, and also have the same saddle on my road bike.

However, for medical reasons (dermatitis), I've been instructed by my doctor to not use bike shorts, or any tight-fitting clothing. I'm able to do this without much pain for the most part, especially on road. I've gone on some 1.5 hr rides so far and it seems my sitbone area is tough enough to not really have issues without the padded shorts.

However, on the bumpier gravel stuff, it's a bit concerning as if I accidentally forget to stand up on the bike before hitting something rough, it could jam the hard saddle into my nether-regions. Also, I'm wondering if 3+ hr rides even on road will be a different story as well.

That being said, I'm looking for a "slightly softer" saddle. I don't want one of those huge padded ones which restrict inner thigh movement, but something that is 1 or 2 steps above the Approach in padding might be nice to try.

Any other recommendations appreciated.

Last edited by Wattsup; 09-28-21 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 04:42 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I run the full range of the fizik argo saddles across my small fleet of bikes. On my gravel bike, I have the terra argo. Road bike the vento argo and tempo argo on my TT bike. It's a shape that seems to work well for me.
Old 10-03-21, 07:41 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr1v3n
I have Giant Revolt Advanced, which came with a Giant Approach saddle. I actually really like the saddle for roads, and also have the same saddle on my road bike.

However, for medical reasons (dermatitis), I've been instructed by my doctor to not use bike shorts, or any tight-fitting clothing. I'm able to do this without much pain for the most part, especially on road. I've gone on some 1.5 hr rides so far and it seems my sitbone area is tough enough to not really have issues without the padded shorts.

However, on the bumpier gravel stuff, it's a bit concerning as if I accidentally forget to stand up on the bike before hitting something rough, it could jam the hard saddle into my nether-regions. Also, I'm wondering if 3+ hr rides even on road will be a different story as well.

That being said, I'm looking for a "slightly softer" saddle. I don't want one of those huge padded ones which restrict inner thigh movement, but something that is 1 or 2 steps above the Approach in padding might be nice to try.

Any other recommendations appreciated.
A great alternative to all of this might be a pair pf MTB shorts with a pad inside the liner but not the skin-tight spandex on your legs. Thwy look like regulat hiking shorts on the outside but have a loose mesh underwear liner with the pad sewn to the liner. It might be worth a try. If you go this route I can recommend the LG MTB shorts. As a plus they have usable pockets as well!
Old 10-05-21, 02:58 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Agree with the comments that saddle preference is highly personal and very difficult to predict based on anything other than a long ride. I'm someone who has not usually been very picky about saddles. Having said that I recently bought a Berk Dila carbon saddle because I am building a weight-weenie gravel bike and want components made in small shops rather than big factories in Taiwan. The Berk saddle is just amazingly comfortable and felt like I added a suspension seatpost - which I do not have.
Old 10-06-21, 02:19 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I'll second the recommendation to take a look at SQ Labs saddles. I just got their 610 Ergolux Active 2.0 and took it out for 88 miles on it's first ride and it felt great, no soreness afterwards and I'm about 200 lbs so not particularly light. The Ergolux models have a little thicker padding than other models, but I think it's the overall design that seems to reduce pressure points. Saddles are certainly very personal so it's hard to give someone else anything more than a suggestion to try. I also have a Brooks Cambium C-17 that generally gets rave reviews and while it's also very good, I find the SQ Labs 610 to be noticeably more comfortable for me.
Old 10-15-21, 01:28 AM
BenoitB

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I like the Ritchey Skyline (Comp or WCS) saddle. Large (147mm) and comfortable!
Old 01-11-22, 05:05 PM
noirwest

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is going to sound weird but a while back I bought a Cobb Randee on a whim for the road bike and now swap it back and forth between Bianchi and Fargo. Ugliest saddle I've ever sat but man it's great for the longer hauls. I had to adjust it quite a bit and then adjust my approach to saddle use but once dialed in it becomes one of those saddles you forget is under you.
Old 01-12-22, 02:06 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
I have been riding the fizik TERRA ARGO X5 (steel rails) on my gravel bike for just over 1 year and it is good with bibshorts. Per fizik customer service advice, I went for the 160mm, the larger one for comfort.
On the minivelo, I have a Fabric scoop elite gel 155 and it is comfortable without bibshorts...
On the folding bike, I have a Fabric Line Pro 142 at it was a mistake... I can ride it with bibshort but went commuting loaded with laptop backpack etc., it is not great after 1hr.