Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Scuba Diving Light as Bike Light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-21, 03:32 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

so far this Big Blue 1300 lumen lite is working ok,

using a Fenix flashlight mount.

it uses a 18650 protected battery, features a double O ring design in an aluminum housing, good to 300 feet,

has a magnetic switch which means it is less likely to fail as easy as a surface mount momentary switch.
this also eliminates a path for water to enter the light. the switch has a very solid feel to it.
another good thing about the switch is that it is easy to manipulate even with gloves on. i have a heck of a time using the switch on the Nite Rider Lumina 900 when wearing gloves.

Likes For cjenrick:
Old 12-17-21, 03:49 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
the LED is rated at a 6500K color temp so it looks a bit different than most of the other lights out there. looks less silvery, more yellowish like a normal old schoollight bulb.

i seem to notice less eye fatigue after a long ride. it is meant to bring out the reds more underwater, since the reds are the first color to diminish while diving. so stuff on the trail that has red in it, like leaves, pine needles and other stuff seems to be a bit more in focus now.

the switch glows in three colors as you run out of battery, blue to green to red,

it has a 10 degree spot but plenty of flood light also.

it has 4 brightness levels, and a SOS flash pattern for emergencies which i hope to never use.
times are 2 hr, 5 hr, 10 hr and 20 hr, the 10 hr setting is plenty bright,
the light runs cool, we were worried about not having wat5er around it for bike use but it is usually pretty cold and rainy at night when we use it. the Nite Rider did fine in the wet weather but for how long? so we are putting it on the other road bike that we use in dry weather.

this lamp was $150 package deal and included another underwater AA light, an 18650 battery and charger, 3 lanyards and a freaky little bubble light that glows in 6 different colors and blinks and is waterproof but we do not figured out what to do with it. maybe use it on the top of the Christmas tree.
this has been Big Blue's best selling dive light for the last 5 years which instills a bit of confidence when out there in harsh conditions.

we had to hunt around a bit for the 150 price, most of the time it hovers in the 180-200 range.

Last edited by cjenrick; 12-17-21 at 03:59 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 12-17-21, 04:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
wow surprisingly small form factor mine were always quite large
Old 12-17-21, 07:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Is it a wide beam that illuminates everything close but nothing at a distance, or is it something you can use a 20 mph?

I got a headlamp that had both a strap to put around your head and a bicycle handlebar mount about a year or two ago, it is great as a headlamp on your head but you can't see anything at a distance, so not very useful on a bike at speed. I carry it as a backup but mainly in case I need to fix a flat in the dark.
Old 12-17-21, 08:35 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
it has 4 brightness levels, and a SOS flash pattern for emergencies which i hope to never use.
I don't think anybody ever uses this mode but every flashlight has it.
Old 12-17-21, 08:46 AM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
A thing that may be a factor to consider: many dive lights are designed assuming they are water-cooled...immersed during use. All of my dive video lights expressly warn not to use them for any length of time out of water, as the lamp head will overheat. My lamps have fairly high lumen output, and are a few years old...your lamps or newer versions may not be as temperature-sensitive. But thought I'd mention it. They're too spendy to burn up.

--Richard