Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Caution about iOS 15.2 & ride-recording apps

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-24-21, 11:25 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts

I've been using the Ride with GPS app to record my rides (and navigate new routes). On my last ride, the app paused itself repeatedly—at least seven times—resulting in an inaccurate track. I reported this to RwGPS, and apparently this is a bug created by the iOS 15.2 update, which has affected some other fitness apps as well (the tech support person pointed me to an article about the same thing happening to RunKeeper). It sounds like keeping the app in the foreground and preventing the screen from locking/sleeping will avoid the problem, obviously at the cost of battery life.

I've also got Cyclemeter on my phone, and will see if that's affected as well. In the meantime, something to be aware of.
Old 12-29-21, 08:52 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Went hiking and used Cyclemeter to record the hike, and tried to reproduce the conditions causing the problem described above. Also used my Apple Watch's built-in activity-logging app.

At the end of the hike, the two agreed closely on stats and tracks, which seemed accurate. So Cyclemeter seems to be immune to this problem.
Old 12-30-21, 08:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I'm grateful you posted this. I thought I was doing something wrong and was about to ask rwgps about it. It's pretty annoying! Any idea whether it will be apple or rwgps who will make the fix?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-30-21, 11:28 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Runkeeper has put out an update to fix the problem, but RideWithGPS is still broken. I do have a support ticket open with RideWithGPS and they say they are working on a fix. But, nothing yet. What I do now is use Runkeeper to do the ride tracking and then just export a gpx file from Runkeeper and upload it to RideWithGPS.
Old 12-31-21, 10:33 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

No idea how or when this will be fixed. It may be that RwGPS was relying on a deprecated API and Apple finally removed support for it, in which case RwGPS will need to straighten up and fly right. Or it may be that Apple accidentally broke something, in which case it could be either party that winds up fixing it.
Old 12-31-21, 07:19 PM
themp

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm grateful you posted this. I thought I was doing something wrong and was about to ask rwgps about it. It's pretty annoying! Any idea whether it will be apple or rwgps who will make the fix?
At this point I would open a support ticket with them. Squeaky wheel syndrome....

https://ridewithgps.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Old 01-01-22, 09:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Thanks, @themp. I did. But it's not clear to me whether it's apple's job or rwgps's job. Apple broke the app, so ...

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-05-22, 12:26 PM
shmily_dana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems like RwGPS works if I disable the auto pause feature in settings. It seems to be ok for short rides with no stop lights or bathroom breaks. I'm going to enter a trouble ticket and hope for a quick fix,
Old 01-05-22, 06:10 PM
shmily_dana

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got a response and they are working on a fix. In my trouble ticket, I mentioned I can use the app by manually starting/stopping the ride. So It is funny the response below gives me the same advice:
Dave here, thanks for contacting us.

I'm sorry to hear about the recent recording issues you've run into. We've received a few other reports from riders who have updated to iOS 15.2 from Apple. It seems this update has caused Auto-Pause to fail on occasion. Our developers are working hard to create an update that will resolve this. I'll reach out with information about this update as soon as it is available.

In the meantime, we'd suggest turning Auto-Pause off. To disable Auto-Pause, please follow these steps:
1. Tap the Settings (cog) icon in the upper left corner of the screen (see image: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rwgps/scree...on11-13003.png)
2. Tap Logging> Toggle off Auto-Pause.

After toggling off Auto-Pause, you'll need to make sure to manually pause your rides when stopped and begin your recordings when you begin riding again.

Thank you for your report and patience while we work to resolve this issue. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
Dave
Likes For shmily_dana:
Old 01-16-22, 10:54 AM
themp

Email received from ridewithgps support:

"I just wanted to update you on our work to remedy the ride recording issues you've had as a result to the iOS 15.2 update.
We've just released an update to the RWGPS app (v 2.8.5) in the app store. You can download it by going to https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ride-w...on/id893687399 on your phone.
This version provides a more stable recording experience. We've temporarily taken away the auto-pause feature in this version, but do plan to make it available again in the near future.
We'll reach out again as soon as we have more information. In the meantime, don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or other concerns."
Likes For themp:
Old 01-17-22, 08:40 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I went for an 85-mile ride yesterday using the previous version (2.8.4) with auto-pause turned off. It didn't give me any trouble.
Old 01-27-22, 08:51 AM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
An unrelated iOS app (Geofency) has suffered from the 15 background execution bug. They posted today that Apple has fixed it (at least, their app is no longer impacted) as of 15.3, released yesterday. So this may also affect RWGPS et al.

--Richard
Old 01-28-22, 06:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Identical experience. Thanks for posting it. Does anyone know if the most recent update (today's) fixes this?
Old 01-28-22, 06:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by rlmalisz
An unrelated iOS app (Geofency) has suffered from the 15 background execution bug. They posted today that Apple has fixed it (at least, their app is no longer impacted) as of 15.3, released yesterday. So this may also affect RWGPS et al.

--Richard
Sorry, should have read this first before posting. In any case, that would be good news. I will give it a test as soon as I get a chance.
Old 01-28-22, 09:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The problem is gone for me, as of about a week ago. I opened a ticket with them and then didn’t have time to reproduce the problem. In the meantime, the system said they closed the ticket but I could reopen simply by replying, but I didn’t need to.

Old 02-27-22, 12:54 PM
lynnef

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have iOS 15.3 and the most recent version of RWGPS. I’m glad I found this thread, because I thought it was me. Just turned off auto-logging, so I’ll see if that helps.
Old 02-28-22, 11:59 AM
shmily_dana

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is the automatic start/stop feature back?
Old 03-03-22, 07:45 PM
themp

Originally Posted by shmily_dana
Is the automatic start/stop feature back?
Not for me. I am now seeing for iOS(iPhone) that RideWithGPS is publishing a ride to the iOS Health app to Workouts instead of Cycling. This started on the Auto/Pause feature removal.
Old 03-04-22, 09:14 AM
shmily_dana

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am surprised it is taking so long to implement a fix.
Old 03-04-22, 10:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The problem went away quickly for me. I have no explanation.