Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for C'dale road tandem owners

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 01-17-22, 11:28 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

Hello folks, I'm wondering just how big a 700c tire I can get away with on a RT3000. Currently using 32s on the road but am wondering if I can make this bike more dirt road/ rail trail practical. Certainly nothing too technical. Any experience out there?
Old 01-17-22, 10:33 PM
JoeShellharbour

Bikes: Giant Fast road Solo, Giant MTB Solo, Cannondale Road Tandem with E front wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We ride a Cannondale Tandem it has a E front wheel with 700/50 front tyre that is a touch to big but at 40PSI max is great
The rear is a 700/40mm and still has clearance but does rub after mud it also runs at 40PSI
so with a sprung stoker seat post giving 50mm for bumps we have a great ride
I'm 73 and Kathy 74 witha bugered left ankle hence the front motor
Old 01-17-22, 10:38 PM
JoeShellharbour

Bikes: Giant Fast road Solo, Giant MTB Solo, Cannondale Road Tandem with E front wheel

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Joe and Kathy's Tandem

Old 01-18-22, 11:03 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by JoeShellharbour
We ride a Cannondale Tandem it has a E front wheel with 700/50 front tyre that is a touch to big but at 40PSI max is great
The rear is a 700/40mm and still has clearance but does rub after mud it also runs at 40PSI
Thanks for your reply. Our bike is older, with curved fork legs rather than straight. There appears to be a bit more clearance up front than in the rear so I think we'll be OK with 40-42mm tires. I've got a bunch of sutures in my arm right now so don't want to get the bike down from the hooks yet but I'll soon be able to do so and get scientific about it with a pair of calipers.

PS-We are a Joe and Kathy team as well!

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 01-18-22, 11:33 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Hello folks, I'm wondering just how big a 700c tire I can get away with on a RT3000. Currently using 32s on the road but am wondering if I can make this bike more dirt road/ rail trail practical. Certainly nothing too technical. Any experience out there?
I think the rule is to have at least 5mm to 7mm clearance all around your tire. What do you see? You are probably close to that with the 32's and 35's might be as good as it gets, but I don't know that. These days people are throwing the clearance rules out the window. Are you trying to stay with 700C to avoid the cost of new wheels? Because going to 650B allows for bigger tires assuming you also have disc brakes.
Old 01-18-22, 03:46 PM
JoeShellharbour

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I think the rule is to have at least 5mm to 7mm clearance all around your tire. What do you see? You are probably close to that with the 32's and 35's might be as good as it gets, but I don't know that. These days people are throwing the clearance rules out the window. Are you trying to stay with 700C to avoid the cost of new wheels? Because going to 650B allows for bigger tires assuming you also have disc brakes.
Have to agree should have optioned for a smaller rim when fitting the E motor to the front (wise in retrospect) however we ride mainly on paved "shared paths" and get away with the minimal clearance (can always lower the tyre pressure down to 30PSI when on gravel)
Without the E front tandem riding would no longer be posible as can't avoid the hills and Kathy can't walk far.
A fellow tandem rider in our group fitted 650 rims and runs wide tyres and can run any pressure he wants with comfort the decider on gravel .
They have done many overseas trips taking their tandem on trains and planes
Our Cannondale had 700/38 front and 700/40 rear and never had a problem
sp good luck and enjoy the ride
Old 01-18-22, 06:25 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I've considered 650b as the bike has both cantilever and disk brake mounts in back. I'd have to replace the fork. It's an option. I've got plenty of clearance with the 32s and am always equipped to replace a spoke on the road, so I'm willing to go a bit close on the clearance. I've got 32s on our Bilenky and that one is really tight......it was custom made for a friend who was old school and used to run 25s. We only do local rides on that one!

Old 01-19-22, 02:39 PM
Yamato72

Bikes: '12 Felt F85, '14 Felt Edict Nine 1, '15 C'dale T1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
42 on ours and we'll never go back

Old 01-19-22, 05:57 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
We have a 2004 and run 38mm Soma Supple Vitesse tires. The front is tight at the fork crown, so we are maxed out. Works out great for us as we are almost always on pavement.
I highly recommend the tires (EX version). We got over 2500 from our first pair with one flat - pretty great for 320g tires.
Old 01-21-22, 07:52 AM
kaos joe

Thank you all for your advice. Now have to start watching for sales!
Old 02-21-22, 04:39 PM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bit late to the party, but I upgraded us to a 650b wheel-set as we prefer gravel riding. This has allowed us to go up to a 50mm tire front and rear. A massive improvement in experience both from tire options, and from a vibration damping / ride improvement.
*edit* didn't catch that you're running with canti's, so that makes the swap a bit harder but not impossible, they do make long-reach leavers which would work with 650's.*