Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Rack mounts for my Merlin

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-22, 03:37 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts

I may need to replace my commuting rig before too long and am thinking my Merlin would fit the bill if it had rack mounts.

I asked Merlin and they say they aren't doing any frame modifications.

Are there any recommendations for a metal shop that can add titanium rack mounts to my frame? Or is this a crazy idea.

TIA

Mike
Old 12-07-22, 03:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Do you have eyelets at the dropout? If yes, just get a seat collar rack mount adapter like this one from Salsa. (https://www.redbike.ca/product/salsa...r-374211-1.htm).

I have used a similar adapter for years and works great.
Old 12-07-22, 04:32 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
Are there any recommendations for a metal shop that can add titanium rack mounts to my frame? Or is this a crazy idea.
Ti Cycles near Portland OR still does frame repairs/mods. Dave Levy there is a genius-wizard with Ti. Not cheap though.
If interested, you can have him increase the clearance between the chainstays to fit fatter tires too. He's got a clever way to do that.

Disclosure: I used to work there, ~25 years ago. No connection currently, haven't spoken to him in years. No feud or anything, it's just that I'm in Seattle and I don't go to Portland much.

Here's how I did the eyelets on the Ti MTB I made for my wife, back when I worked there. It later got converted to a grocery-getter with a stout Cr-Mo cargo rack. No qualms about the eyelets strength, they're 6/4 alloy, welded to 6/4 alloy dropouts using 6/4 welding rod. With proper prep and good penetration of course... You could hang the whole bike (and rider) off this eyelet and shake it around, not coming off! Stronger than the integral eyelets on steel dropouts, I am sure.

Mark B
Old 12-07-22, 05:19 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Do you have eyelets at the dropout? If yes, just get a seat collar rack mount adapter like this one from Salsa. (https://www.redbike.ca/product/salsa...r-374211-1.htm).

I have used a similar adapter for years and works great.
Nope, no eyelets.
Old 12-07-22, 05:20 PM
MikeM21

Originally Posted by bulgie
Ti Cycles near Portland OR still does frame repairs/mods. Dave Levy there is a genius-wizard with Ti. Not cheap though.
If interested, you can have him increase the clearance between the chainstays to fit fatter tires too. He's got a clever way to do that.

Disclosure: I used to work there, ~25 years ago. No connection currently, haven't spoken to him in years. No feud or anything, it's just that I'm in Seattle and I don't go to Portland much.

Here's how I did the eyelets on the Ti MTB I made for my wife, back when I worked there. It later got converted to a grocery-getter with a stout Cr-Mo cargo rack. No qualms about the eyelets strength, they're 6/4 alloy, welded to 6/4 alloy dropouts using 6/4 welding rod. With proper prep and good penetration of course... You could hang the whole bike (and rider) off this eyelet and shake it around, not coming off! Stronger than the integral eyelets on steel dropouts, I am sure.

Mark B
That's exactly what I need! Hoping to find someone on the East Coast though.
Old 12-08-22, 04:52 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Bilenky in Philly does all manner of modifications to frames, including Ti frames.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 12-08-22, 11:52 AM
MikeM21

Originally Posted by dsaul
Bilenky in Philly does all manner of modifications to frames, including Ti frames.
Thanks. Merlin recommended them as well. I think a drive to Philly is in my future.
Old 12-08-22, 02:30 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Post pictures when you've got it done.
Old 12-09-22, 09:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
I think a drive to Philly is in my future.
You can do that, but I think contacting them some other way first is probably better. My understanding is they are backed up.