Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 04-18-22, 08:31 AM
2010Sirrus

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite, Trek SL1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am 64 and my weight has fluctuated from 240 pounds to over 300 the last 25 years. I have recently gone from 290-240, and hope to drop another 10-15 once weather permits daily riding. Back in 1992, I bought a new Schwinn Crosscut hybrid with 700C x 38 tires. The first year, commuting 16 miles roundtrip to work, I had more than 10 spokes break on back wheel. Dealer always replaced under warranty. At end of summer, they put a different manufacture back wheel on it and I broke no more that season. In the spring, they replaced front wheel to match. I rode that bike until 2010, when I bought a Specialized Sirrus Elite. I commuted to work on that until fall of 2018. My employer relocated in December of '18 and I left in summer of 2019. I never broke a spoke on the Sirrus, even at 280 pounds. I would push for them to replace your wheel set.
Old 05-09-22, 12:58 PM
capzeyez

Bikes: 99 Univega Rover 308, 84 502 Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
33 Year old male who is 6'4. My weight was 266 lbs in December at my last doctors visit but I haven't weighed myself recently because my scale is in storage (living temporarily with my son until I close on my next house. Looking like a close date of Friday this week!) I got into cycling to be more active once I quit bartending and got an office job. I'm hoping to lose weight, last year I put in about 750 miles, so far this year I have 360 miles under my belt. My goal this year is a century ride and 1,500 total miles.

I have a 99 Univega 308 and an 84 Marathon. The Univega recently got a new lightweight seat post, new clamp and a new regular seat. I also repacked the bearings recently and gave it a good scrub for the start of the season. I was going to add photos but I can't because I'm too new! :O
Old 05-13-22, 05:58 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New… but not new

Hi! This is my third “life” on a bike. I got my first bike in my 20’s and rode it to school and work. Just loved it. Got heatstroke on it in AZ and put it aside until about 20 years ago, when I fell in love with it again and was here on bike forums.

got super sick after 5 years, and then better, then new kinds of sick, and now I’m presently doing well but have been basically inactive the past 6 years. So starting from scratch much older and fatter!

I was going to quietly lurk as I restarted, but then I thought that there might be others in a similar boat. So hi!

I have moved from one of best bike-centric areas of the country to a place where there’s no shoulders on the rode, so that’s going to be scary.

I have started out riding my “dog bike”, a Bianchi Torino which has 2 quick connects for leash attachments and a trailer connect. I had never ridden this bike without dogs attached. I feel very weird being so upright, but the bike itself is way more pleasant than I thought it would be, with a lovely triple crank for my very weak legs that are just post-surgery for a meniscus tear.

The first day I was very unsteady and felt weird just lifting my leg up to mount. This was a few weeks ago. I now go for a ride daily.. up to 4 miles but my knee feels it! I also ride to the gym 3x/week to work core and upper body.

I am amazed how a morning ride puts me in a great mood for the whole day. I had forgotten how much I love riding. I have fantasies of touring, but honestly I think my goal will be traveling to trails and towns and the pulling out the bike (and dogs?) for a day of exploration.

I’m totally a Fred, and hang out in C and V. I have kickstands and bells on all my bikes. I haven’t met anyone in my new town that rides, but I just found out about an LBS that does social rides. I just dropped off my rigid 94 Scott Cheyenne (previously my winter bike) to become a Kansas gravel bike, so my adventures can start.

Happy Riding, new friends! If anyone remembers me, shoot me a line.
Old 05-14-22, 05:27 PM
Qxir_NotJustBik

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 2, Giant TCR, 2010 Fuji Cross Pro and a few others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
250 ish pounds at about 5'10. Rode a lot as a teen and over the years but really got back into it a few years ago. Got close to not being a Clydesdale a few years ago and
hoping to ride my way back. I enjoy road cycling most but looking forward to a few gravel races I've joined over the summer. First bike that got me back into cycling in my 40s was an 80s/90s Peugeot. Rode that thing a lot and then converted a flat bar Giant Rapid 2 into my drop bar roadie. I don't like apples that much so I'll keep riding to keep the docs away and see the world.
Old 05-17-22, 11:41 AM
shapiroeric

Bikes: Storck Aerfast Platinum

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 26 Posts
Brand new to the forum. 49 years old. Western Mass (Longmeadow, MA) Years and years of being on the Peloton and in my basement. Made the jump and bought a bike over the winter to do weekend rides. Storck Aesfast Plat, Rotor 2INPower crank, Shimano Di2 groupset, etc.....
Old 06-13-22, 02:28 PM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts
New to road cycling and in a desperate attempt to lose this new dad and pandemic weight I’ve fallen in love with something I had previously dismissed over mountain biking.

I’m 34 years old, 6’4 and 265 lbs - before two daughters (3&2 years old) and the pandemic I was 215. During university in my second year I was 306 and dropped to 200 in a year, looks like I’ll have to go back to dieting and exercise to get the weight back down. Although I was 23 back then lol.

Happy to find a community of people in similar situations!
Old 06-15-22, 04:49 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
I have been away for over a year due to bad crash. I used to log in as Commute Commando, but that has somehow gone away and now I am Igorgroks. Now riding only a fixed gear, mostly on river trails and flattish city streets. SouthO mostly and earlier this week around Long Beach/Huntington Beach. Have dropped a lot of weight, especially since the almost severe TBI, but once a Clyde, always a Clyde. Besides, its my Starbucks name.
Old 06-20-22, 06:36 AM
2010Sirrus

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite, Trek SL1000

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tango1
New to road cycling and in a desperate attempt to lose this new dad and pandemic weight I’ve fallen in love with something I had previously dismissed over mountain biking.

I’m 34 years old, 6’4 and 265 lbs - before two daughters (3&2 years old) and the pandemic I was 215. During university in my second year I was 306 and dropped to 200 in a year, looks like I’ll have to go back to dieting and exercise to get the weight back down. Although I was 23 back then lol.

Happy to find a community of people in similar situations!
I know what you mean. I used to commute 17 miles round trip until 2019, about 7-8 months of the year. Left that job and took a job in retail, walking 15,000 steps a day in the store. Retired at beginning of Covid shutdowns at age 62. I had gone from 330-240 in 2004. Fluctuated up and down 15-20 pounds winter to summer. Ballooned back up to 288 by last September at 63 years and 9 months. Cholesterol was 229, BP was up again, and A1C was 5.9. Dr. upped BP med dose, put me on Lipitor. I went on low carb diet, gave up my beloved craft beer, no red meat, no pasta, no white bread, no pizza. After 6 weeks, was down 18 pounds. Cholesterol was 105. In April, Cholesterol was 117. Was down to 250. Mostly just two mile walk every day for exercise. Now down to 240. Would like to get to 230. Will be 65 in December and this is a permanent lifestyle change now. I haven't ridden as much I would like due to nagging shoulder issues which have not been resolved. Good luck.
Likes For 2010Sirrus:
Old 06-26-22, 02:05 AM
SeeSeeRookRook

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello, I was 6'1 (187cm) and I am interested in the older/vintage bikes.

I have tried to check around 2nd hand bikes in my country (Singapore) to no avail.
Just wondering if the forum members are open to selling out of CONUS?
Old 07-29-22, 04:55 PM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should probably re-introduce myself. I have been here before, but I took a lot of time off and progressed fully into ultra-Clyde status due to various excuses, which i dont find acceptable. So among other things, I want to get back into biking. Trick is, when you are pushing close to 400 lbs the bike options start to diminish, and the bikes you own may be at risk.... so I just ordered a custom rig that is due in maybe 6 weeks. It will be my first motor assisted deal, and i'm betting that gets me back on the road a lot more. I'm not too far away from 50 and its time I stop messing around and get myself as healthy as I should be. My long term plan is to get back into things enough to do frequent century rides. Not long ago I got my ham license, so I plan to set up a mobile rig to go with me on the rides, help me pass the time while enjoying the scenery. And if I can find enough mountains with some clean trails I plan to ride to the top as often as possible.

I still have my old bikes, and the new one will be a recumbent quad. When I drop enough pounds to feel good about the old bikes I'll have all areas covered. Road, Trail, comfort distance, stupid mountain stuff, bike park stuff... you name it. Plus the new quad can be used for a camping adventure or hunting or general expeditions.

Its good to be back and I hope to get a lot of riding done soon.
Old 09-19-22, 02:48 AM
Zombldy

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I am 42, used to ride a fixed gear all around Tucson 9 years ago. Moved to Missouri and had another baby, got lazy and had medical issues. Bought a 21 speed during Covid lock downs and now riding. Started out at 259. With riding and the Carnivore diet I'm at 209 in 142 days.
Old 09-25-22, 11:29 AM
BginRme

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Any other Athenas?

Hello! Any other women here? I love to mountain bike, but I’m slow. I’m over 200 and trying to fix that. I’m a heavy weightlifter as well. Taking advantage of the light outside until time change, so I’m on my bike twice a day. Hiking on weekends, too.
Old 01-14-23, 03:50 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
Looking for more Tall bicycles, Here's mine so far

These are my bicycles and I am looking for a 1920's-1960's vintage frame.
I don't quite hit the mark at 6'5" and 194 but close.
All these frames are 67cm-69cm c-c
1968 Rene Herse Gentleman
1967 Cinelli SC
1984 Specialized Expedition

Anyone here have a very tall Frame or Bicycle to sell??

Old 01-17-23, 07:02 AM
jmitchelltfo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I figured that my google searches for info on frames, tires, wheelsets, saddles (the list goes on) kept pointing me to this forum......so I figured I'd go ahead and join so that my 6'2'' 280 pound ass can interact with the cyclists that want to share their knowledge.

My name is Jeremy and I've spent the better part of the past 30 years playing sports or advancing in a career that required lots of physical strength and endurance. Five unsuccessful surgeries later, I found myself without the ability to withstand high impact cardio and feeling pretty sorry for myself. Long story short, I ended up within spitting distance of 300 hundo. I've yo-yoed on and off keto for the past couple years and decided that I needed to buckle down and make a lifestyle change. I want to be around to meet my grandkids and get the opportunity to spoil the ever living crap out of them! I started commuting by bike almost five months ago and have dropped 18 pounds so far. A 24 mile daily commute has helped me drop some weight and now I just need to dial in my diet in order to keep making progress.

I currently ride a Bombtrack Beyond+ and am in the process of having a custom titanium gravel adjacent frame built by a company called Habanero Cycles.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences along with learning from others on here.
​​​​​​​
Old 01-18-23, 04:25 PM
John_1252

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'2" 220lbs. Ride a Cannondale Jekyll 2019 because of the high of downhill riding and to get in shape will going up.
Old 03-12-23, 10:24 AM
Wanderer518

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Looking to reclaim my life!

Hello all! I'm Mike, just a 240 pound, 5'11" shamefully unfit guy looking to find the stamina and endurance I had in my early 20s. I'm former Army and my current job is very physical so you'd think I wouldn't have this problem. Unfortunately a lot of abuse from PT runs and ruck marches have taken a toll on my knees and some recent trauma has resulted in the predicament I'm stuck in now, I'm hoping shedding a few excess pounds will help them without needing surgery and get me off these awful meds the VA has me on. I have an older Trek road bike that got me from point A to B when I lived on base, that I hope to use on this journey since I know running is out of the question.
Likes For Wanderer518:
Old 03-20-23, 09:50 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by edtrek
6 ft 1 in. 235 lbs.
I've always thought that the Clydesdale category started at 200 pounds.
The problem with any criteria are the exceptions: a 6ft5in guy at 210 is probably
way leaner that a 5ft guy at 195.

I did a Google search on "Clydesdale Athena" and most sites agree that the
men's Clydesdale category starts at 200 pounds, and the women's Athena at 150.

When I was a runner I always appreciated the category just because it gave me
a chance to see how my times were in comparison to similar folks. Among bicyclists
the term "Clydesdale" seems to be a codeword for entree in discussions of stronger
wheels, frames, etc.

My Trek1100 couldn't keep the rear wheel trued, so the shop rebuilt it with a 3x pattern
and I've never had a problem since. I have re-geared all my bikes to help climbing; I think
most OEM bikes aren't geared for moving 230-pounders up hills.
i never thought it was possible for me to get below the Athena threshold. Wasn’t even a goal. but here i an at 5’9” and 125 pounds.
Old 07-20-23, 09:03 PM
bmanpgh

Bikes: 1995 Trek Multitrack 720; 2011 Trek Multitrack 7300

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Hey there - 57, 5'9" (175cm) and 271 lbs (123 kg) here. I've lost 25 lbs since May by biking and altering my diet (no special diet -- just eating a lot less and and no junk). When I started in May I was riding about 4 miles a day and taking a break halfway through. Now riding 11 miles a day and rode 30 miles this past Sunday.

My goal is to ride the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal Trail later this Fall. I rode the C&O Canal Trail about three decades ago. The 30 mile trip on Sunday showed me that it's certainly possible but I have some work to do, heh heh.

After reading reviews here and elsewhere, I just bought my first Brooks B17 and it is worth every penny. Throwing caution to the wind I used it for the first time on the 30 mile trip and my butt felt better after that 30 miles than it has after 10 miles on other seats.

Bikes include a Trek 7300 that I use now and a Trek 720 that I would like to restore to its former glory.
Old 08-22-23, 03:35 PM
ghostr1der

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi everybody!

I guess I fit in this category; I just didn't know there was a name until today. I am new here as a member of the forum in general, but I have come across many threads in my google searches for bike information.

I can probably count on one hand how many bike rides I have taken since I started driving 30 years ago. My weight has had it's ups and downs over the years. I am currently very close to the heaviest I have ever been back in my late 20s. I am currently in my mid 40s, and I am 6' tall and just under 260 lbs. I had been under 200 for quite a while until I finally finished my degree 5 years ago and started transitioning to office work. I was a bit over 200 at the start of the pandemic and packed on quite a bit last year into the start of this year especially.

Beginning last August, I have quickly moved to the n+1 number of bikes I own with the first one I bought being an antique 1941 single speed cruiser. I have a small collection now including an eBike that I need to finish setting up. My goal is to start riding and get myself back into shape to combat this sedentary work lifestyle. I have also picked up a used Kinetic wheel-on trainer to help get around the weather, but I haven't decided which bike to put on it. I have my current bikes listed in my initial main forum introduction thread.
Old 09-17-23, 05:02 PM
drosso66

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Hey everyone,

My name is Dave, and late last year I weighed 367 lbs and started having health problems. I radically changed my diet, and now I weigh 281 lbs.

I bought a Giant Eclipse Disc 1 and a Zwift Hub trainer because up until now I have not really been getting any exercise. About 17 years ago, I had a bike on a roller-style trainer and went from 305 lbs down to 168 lbs. Obviously I gained it all back plus tacked on an additional 60 lbs or so.

As soon as I fix an issue with the bike that arose after mounting it on the trainer, I am going to be back in the saddle again---literally!
Old 09-23-23, 02:09 AM
oldiron

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Been reading here for years, only just signed up for an account.
I'm half a year from turning 60, 6ft 3in tall, and around 350 lbs.
I've ridden and worked on bikes most of my life, even worked in a bike shop for a bit in the late 70's and early 80's.
I've got a garage full of bikes, ranging from prewar cruisers, to 70's road bikes.
As I age, and arthritis becomes evident I ride less than I used to but still enjoy a few short rides from time to time so long as I don't have to work the next day.
Riding causes severe knee and ankle pain, which is something I ignored when I was younger, (and lighter). In my prime was around 240 lbs or so.

As a big guy I'm hard on certain parts, mostly cranks and tires. I've broken or bent more cranks than I can count over the years and as time went on I tended to opt for
bikes that were built more like a truck.

My go-to bike lately is an 80's Nishiki Cruiser, pretty much all original as far as I know. I've owned it for a while now and have kept it because of its tall frame.
I still have my 77 Raleigh Super Course, which I've had since new, and a '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, which I also bought new. Both in tall frames. I haven't ridden either of them in a few years. I find riding road bars causes my hands and arms to fall asleep for some reason.
Likes For oldiron:
Old 10-22-23, 04:36 AM
Ranger Mac

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Hi. 6’2” 230 usually ~210. Currently commute on a Trek 730.
Likes For Ranger Mac:
Old 10-22-23, 05:06 PM
Straytwice

Bikes: 1990s Giant Excursion

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Tim here. 61 years young. Long stopped rider who is going to start anew. I picked up a 1990s Giant Excursion and just tuned it up. Rode for 5 minutes and was winded! Going to try and ride daily short distances and slowly improve. I shall also do more Bike time at the Gym to improve my performance. I was at 340 a few years ago and am down to 265 now at 5' 11". Planning to get down to 220 or so. The plan also includes being able to tour with a friend when I retire in a few years.

Thanks for having a place for me to come and whine cry and complain because I know those days are ahead.

Cheers,
Likes For Straytwice:
Old 10-26-23, 12:55 AM
Gabriel1982

Bikes: Batavus Monaco Sachs 3 speed +drum brakes, Batavus Torino nexus inter-4+drum braked front,roller brake rear, Steel 20" Folding bike single speed+disc brake rear,V-brake front 😎

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy 😁🙄

Hello everyone! Gabriel, 41 years old, from Romania ,riding bikes since age 12 anytime everyday I get to. Motorcycles too if I'm out for more adrenaline fun! Truck driver profesionally! Own 2 Batavus bikes 28" wheels ,Monaco with Sachs 3 speed hub with front and rear drum brakes(had enough of V-brakes or disc), and a Batavus Torino 3 speed 28" Shimano Nexus INTER-4 hub, plus a 20" folding bike used every day single speed 46/16 tooth gear+a DID 420D chain because I break/destroy regular chains... And I'm tired to walk home or get a taxi because the chain broke... AGAIN...
cheers to all!

Last edited by Gabriel1982; 10-27-23 at 03:50 AM. Reason: 520D vs 420D mistake
Old 11-01-23, 03:23 PM
ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Hi. I guess I'm a 60 year old Clyde, but didn't know it.

I'm getting back into biking after a long hiatus.
I started with a BMC Amp gravel e-bike last May and am loving it--over 700 miles on it so far according to Strava.
I now have the bug to build a modern version of the human-powered bikes I lusted after as a kid--the Campy-equipped chromed race bikes from England and Italy. Or maybe the grand touring bikes would be more apropos as I’m not going to race.
I am looking for a spirited recreational bike I can use for weekend rides exploring the myriad trails of hard packed gravel and rails-to-trails paved trails, weekday interval training. It should have the option to add racks/bags to run errands and shopping trips. I test rode a high end 80s bike with Campy components and the shifting left a lot to be desired, so I want to stick with modern electric shifters.

Once question I have is about brakes. I love the hydraulic disc brakes on the BMC. The BMC has 180 mm rotors, which seem to be an anomaly on gravel/road bikes (the biggest being 160 mm). The brake rotors on the BMC get quite hot on descents, which makes me think I should stick with the larger rotors.

Question: for those of you running discs, what size rotors are you running and are you happy with them?

Thanks!

Last edited by ACHiPo; 11-01-23 at 03:27 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.