Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I'm baaaack.

Old 11-26-22, 07:40 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
I'm baaaack.

Didja miss me?

For those of you who remember, I didn't get run off after my last thread (hating on cycling shoes). What happened was just days after my last post I crashed. Broke my right wrist and between the disability of my dominant hand and the work load from my school program, my social media time took a big hit. Both my wrist and the work load are better now so I thought I would jump back into the fire over here.

Anyway, to keep from retyping the entire text of my odyssey, I'm going to copy and paste from my original post elsewhere. Enjoy the story.
It has been a long, challenging week.

It started this time last week. I had an appointment in Vegas and, as usual, I took a bike with me for a ride afterwards. On that ride I had some equipment issues that ended up putting me on the ground three times. Aside from some bruising and some hard feelings, nothing serious of it.

Then, Tuesday I went for a ride here. I was doing fine until I picked up a steel wire at about mile 20 that flattened the rear tire. I swapped out the punctured tube, no problem. But when I went to screw on my CO2 inflator, I tweeked the inner tube stem and snapped it right off. Mother ****er! That netted me a 6.5 mile walk home.

So I had a follow up in Vegas again today. I fixed the tire, had a good spare and inflator, so I'm going to do it again, because apparently I don't learn. Actually, everything was going pretty well, it was still relatively cool and I was feeling good. I decided to crank up the pace just as I was getting into a hilly section. I dropped down a gear but the derailure didn't shift. I glanced down to see what was going on for a split second and looked up just in time to see a thick layer of sand just as I was entering a turn. I didn't even have time to think "Oh s**t!" before the front wheel slid right off the path and into a small ditch.

Now you people who live back east probably have this image of a ditch with soft, fluffy grass and maybe thick bushes, and you might think, "ya? So?" Out here ditches tend to be where we've had heavy rain and it washes away all the loose soil and all that's left behind rock, with a side of more rock, topped with another layer of... you guessed it! More rock.

I don't remember putting my hands down but clearly I did. I do remember smacking the left side of my face, and for a split second, that was what I was most worried about. Then I felt it. I knew my ride was over. Well, except for the part of getting back to the truck. I knew I tweeked my right wrist pretty hard. I could move my fingers and it actually didn't hurt that bad, so long as I didn't try to rotate the wrist. But there was some noticeable swelling even that quickly. I thought most likely a sprain, or maybe a dislocation, but since I was already in Vegas I thought it would be prudent to get it X-ray'd just to be sure.

So I ride back to the truck, about four miles, favoring the wrist the whole way. I manage to get the bike in the back with my left hand and right elbow, and off to the VA I go. That actually went pretty quick for an ER visit. X-rays, splint and oxy in less than three hours. good thing I brought study material with me.

Anyway, typing with my left hand sucks so I'll just post this.

It's been about 2.5 months now and I've regained most of my ROM back, although strength is still a bit lacking. I've been back on the bike for about a month. The first week or two were pretty tentitive but at this point, I'm almost back to normal.

I never got the wrist cast because there is no way they would let me do my clinical rotations with my dominant arm in a cast. I just used an off-the-shelf wrist brace during my clinicals and then wrapped the crap out of it the rest of the time.

It's still a little sore, still a little stiff, and the remodeling, particularly on the ulnar process, is still noticeable. but all in all, I think in another month or so, I'll be right as rain.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 11-26-22, 07:44 PM
Rockbluff20

Bikes: 2009 Look 585

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Welcome back.
Old 11-26-22, 07:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...in future years, you will be able to accurately predict when it is going to rain. So that's a positive.
Old 11-26-22, 08:04 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
ouch

sorry to hear about the wrist
Old 11-26-22, 08:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Can we blame clipless pedals somehow?

Glad you are ok.
Old 11-26-22, 08:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
So good you have returned. Was almost boring without you. Keep healing can’t wait to hear your take on some other cycling equipment.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-26-22, 09:33 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
So good you have returned. Was almost boring without you. Keep healing can’t wait to hear your take on some other cycling equipment.
I’m thinking a treatise on the difference between CO2 inflators vs frame pumps would be interesting.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 11-26-22, 09:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
I’m thinking a treatise on the difference between CO2 inflators vs frame pumps would be interesting.

I'm sure she could break the inner tube valve stem with either of them.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-26-22, 09:47 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Sorry to hear about your spill. I can sympathize, because October of last year I took a spill myself and broke a bone in my right hand. Had to undergo surgery to have a screw put in the bone, and then a few months of physical therapy to undo the weakness in my hand from having it splinted up and unused for a few weeks. Not the best time in my life...
Old 11-26-22, 10:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Sorry to hear about your spill. I can sympathize, because October of last year I took a spill myself and broke a bone in my right hand. Had to undergo surgery to have a screw put in the bone, and then a few months of physical therapy to undo the weakness in my hand from having it splinted up and unused for a few weeks. Not the best time in my life...
A broken wrist and a broken hand-bone (which is connected to the wrist-bone, as the song goes….) it could be fate or something more magical.

Old 11-26-22, 11:27 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Welcome back! Hope you're well and truly on the mend now.

And yes, you were missed. There was even a "Where is VegasJen" thread, but it got deleted as (I think) it went against forum rules.

Originally Posted by datlas
Can we blame clipless pedals somehow?
😂😂😂😂😂
Old 11-26-22, 11:34 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Welcome back!

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 11-27-22, 01:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
You seem to crash a lot.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-27-22, 03:42 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
Welcome back, glad that you are doing better and wish you a quick recovery. Please stay safe.
Likes For georges1:
Old 11-27-22, 09:08 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
While you prefer the president fall off his bike into traffic(next time)..I only hope your fall wasn't.
Old 11-27-22, 09:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
VegasJen Glad you're back and riding!
Old 11-27-22, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Well I hope you enjoy riding in the winter or you live where the temps are mild. You have a lot of lost riding miles to make up!
Old 11-27-22, 10:27 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm sure she could break the inner tube valve stem with either of them.
unnecessary roughness. 15 yard penalty and loss of down.

Old 11-27-22, 10:29 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Welcome back, Jen. We hope you continue to mend and ride.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 11-27-22, 10:51 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Shadco

Give me some time. I'll see what I can do.
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I understand. Especially being my dominant hand, I still haven't regained my previous strength. Want to know the funny thing? Despite my arm being in a splint, I had a 10k scheduled the very next day. Do you think a little think like a broken wrist would stop me? HA!
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Welcome back! Hope you're well and truly on the mend now.

And yes, you were missed. There was even a "Where is VegasJen" thread, but it got deleted as (I think) it went against forum rules.

😂😂😂😂😂
Awww! I feel so cared for and missed!
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You seem to crash a lot.
Actually, I don't. It was just a really odd occurrence of several crashes in a short period of time. I think the last "crash" before those was more than a year earlier and resulted in little more than some scraps and a couple of bruises.
Old 11-27-22, 10:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Welcome back!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-27-22, 11:18 AM
tomato coupe

You seem to crash a lot.
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Actually, I don't.
In this thread you stated you crashed four times. In your previous thread you stated you crashed three times. And, all of those crashes appear to have occurred in one month. Sorry, but that's a LOT of crashes for solo road cycling.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-27-22, 12:16 PM
VegasJen

In this thread you stated you crashed four times. In your previous thread you stated you crashed three times. And, all of those crashes appear to have occurred in one month. Sorry, but that's a LOT of crashes for solo road cycling.
That's because you're adding 4 + 3. In reality, it is 3 + 1. Three that one time, then just the once with the broken wrist. Total four times. Three of which were on a single ride, which I contend were a direct result of those ****ing cips. And two of those weren't really crashes so much as just falling over because I couldn't unclip.
Old 11-27-22, 12:21 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by VegasJen
That's because you're adding 4 + 3. In reality, it is 3 + 1. Three that one time, then just the once with the broken wrist. Total four times. Three of which were on a single ride, which I contend were a direct result of those ****ing cips. And two of those weren't really crashes so much as just falling over because I couldn't unclip.
Okay, that's not so bad.
Old 11-27-22, 12:36 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
I’m interested in Jen’s POV.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.