Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Mystery Shoulder Issue

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Mystery Shoulder Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 10:00 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mystery Shoulder Issue

While on a ride about two months ago, I reached around my back to pull something from my jersey pocket, and experienced a sharp pain in my (right) shoulder. For the rest of the ride I couldn't access my right jersey pocket due to pain. I didn't notice any pain aside from when attempting that motion The pain was very localized, on the top-front of my shoulder.

I figured it was a strain, and treated it over the next few weeks with rest (avoiding that motion) and ibuprofen. It seemed to get worse, eventually interfering with sleep. Normal daily activities started to trigger pain, like quickly raising my arm during a cough. Ibuprofen didn't seem to have any affect. Kind of strange phenomenon - I could move my arm up to cover my mouth with no pain, but the same movement done quickly would cause sharp pain that lasted 5-10 seconds.

After 6-8 weeks of this I saw my doctor. Due to turnover in the office, it wasn't my normal doctor, who is excellent. This guy did a nominal check of my rotator cuff movement, didn't encounter any of my painful positions, and said "arthritis". I'm 62 and recognize that's quite possible, but I sure felt like an injury occurred at that instant when the sharp pain occurred. I'd been accessing my pocket all day (it was a 200km ride) with no issues. He declined to proscribe any imaging; instead he suggested a steroid shot or PT. I opted for PT.

I've had 3 PT sessions. What we've found is the right shoulder has significantly limited range of motion. During she session she's done manipulation and localized massage. This does seem to temporarily increase range of motion. I'm doing a number of home exercises daily, but 5 weeks in I'm not seeing any sustained improvement.

I've read a ton about shoulder injuries the last few weeks, and I'm more convinced the arthritis diagnosis is BS. Shoulder injuries are extremely common and can take considerable time to heal.

I'd like to hear if any other cyclists have injured their shoulder in this manner - reaching into a jersey pocket. If so, how did recovery go?

Cheers
Old 05-05-23, 10:53 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,654 Times in 781 Posts
I didn't injure mine while riding. Somehow, I rolled over in my sleep and had the pain when I woke up! It's been about 2 months, and it's still a bit tender, right in the spot you describe. It's getting better, but I still have to watch what I'm doing with my right arm. Even getting a gallon of milk out of the fridge hurts.
I imagine I should have seen a doctor, but just wrote it off as another "old age" thing to be added to my list of aches and pains.