Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 09:42 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I will never forgive him for how he treated Greg Lemond, and I think that alone is reason enough for LA to be permanently shunned.
My thoughts on that:

1) I'm a big Greg fan and also lament the way that situation played out for him. So much so that I have an active thread in the valuation forum right now where I'm considering buying a Zurich. That, partially, as a show of support for Greg.

2) I worry that Greg's initial Lance criticisms may have been substantially motivated by professional jealously. I think that it may have bothered Greg to be eclipsed by another American so soon after his own accomplishments. To this day, Greg's branding is still very much "the only true American TDF champion". Which he may, in fact, be.

3) Most of what I've consumed regarding the Greg / Lance era leads me to suspect that Greg was also doping, just doping differently and less effectively than Lance based on what was available at the time. Obviously, if that's the case, then there is hypocrisy at play.

4) Once Greg had Lance backed into a corner and in self preservation mode, the outcome was predictable (at least in hind sight). Greg certainly did not deserve what happened to him. I do think that he could have avoided much of it by being more strategic however.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 06-06-23, 09:44 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I’m with the “I’m not gonna spend 2½ hours watching what I may already know” crowd. Like many of us who’ve been following cycling since before LA came up through triathlon ranks as a youth…it’s probably all been covered. I suggest the OP post notes from this podcast and we can discuss them.

Dan
Old 06-06-23, 09:51 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Welp, it definitely didn't start out well.
Heh, there's always a couple.

My mom used to always say, about critics, "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." Thanks to her I've never been one to waste a lot of energy arguing with people, especially with strangers on the internet.
Old 06-06-23, 09:55 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I heard that Barry Bonds fellow was a pretty good baseball player and all-around great guy too.
Yeah, that McGwire feller too.
Old 06-06-23, 09:56 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
And the Houston Astros!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-06-23, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Being the best of the cheaters in an era of rampant cheating does not mean that someone was actually the best cyclist of his era. Obviously, that assumes that the best cyclists cheated, and there is no way of knowing whether the best cyclists actually were the ones who were unwilling to cheat. Secondly, we're just assuming that Lance would have been better than the other cheaters had there been no cheating. That assumption is groundless as we know there are likely reasons that some people will get better results from PED than others, and the medical teams also had varying abilities to administer effective regimens while evading detection.

It's absolutely impossible to consider LA's "accomplishments" separate from the fact of his rampant cheating, and once someone's "win at any costs" extends to actually engaging in the tactics of personal destruction of other people through criminal means, I don't want to pretend that's just the "attitude" of a champion.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-23, 10:02 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
It takes balls to start another LA thread these days though.
Damn, you hit real hard. You brought Lance into the ring and hit him below the belt in his one ball.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-06-23, 10:08 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Yes, at the height of toxicity the decision was made to direct all pro racing discussion over to the new Pro Racing forum. Worst idea ever . . . it shoveled off all of the enthusiasm and energy of the Road forum and eventually led to the demise (imo) of Road into discussing soul-less, boring (imo) topics. The legendary "41" still hasn't recovered to what it once was.

But pro cycling topics are no longer banned in Road or General and I'm happy to see this one regardless the mixed reception.
Thanks for the clarification, BillyD!
Old 06-06-23, 10:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Harold74
My thoughts on that:

(snipped 1)

2) I worry that Greg's initial Lance criticisms may have been substantially motivated by professional jealously. I think that it may have bothered Greg to be eclipsed by another American so soon after his own accomplishments. To this day, Greg's branding is still very much "the only true American TDF champion". Which he may, in fact, be.

3) Most of what I've consumed regarding the Greg / Lance era leads me to suspect that Greg was also doping, just doping differently and less effectively than Lance based on what was available at the time. Obviously, if that's the case, then there is hypocrisy at play.

4) Once Greg had Lance backed into a corner and in self preservation mode, the outcome was predictable (at least in hind sight). Greg certainly did not deserve what happened to him. I do think that he could have avoided much of it by being more strategic however.
No idea why #2 and #4 say anything exonerating about LA's completely psychopathic behavior towards GL, and #3 really is kind of despicable on your part. As far as I know, your "suspicions" are groundless, and that's really the "whataboutism" type crap LA pulled to discredit GL and get him fired.

#4 is basically saying that GL should have kept his mouth shut when everything that came out later made clear he was 100% correct about what was going on because he should have known what an immoral POS LA was. I cannot fathom why you would think that was an answer to my statement that I'm not forgiving LA for his treatment of GL...
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-23, 10:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

McGwire and Sosa were well-liked by their teammates, Bonds never got along with anyone. His college teammates actually voted to kick him off the team and were disappointed when he wasn't.
Old 06-06-23, 10:16 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I would have to agree that Lance was probably the best in an era rampant with PED use just as Barry Bonds in my opinion was by far the best hitter in baseball in an era rampant with PED abuse amongst hitters and pitchers.

But what about all the cyclists who couldn't even participate at the highest level because they refused PED's? Or the forgotten ones that always finished far behind the doped up leaders? I'm sure there were a lot of them who were told they would not be competitive without drugs but resisted anyway. Those people are the reason that Lance's achievements should not be honored and that Bonds should not be in the HOF.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-06-23, 10:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I would have to agree that Lance was probably the best in an era rampant with PED use just as Barry Bonds in my opinion was by far the best hitter in baseball in an era rampant with PED abuse amongst hitters and pitchers.

But what about all the cyclists who couldn't even participate at the highest level because they refused PED's? Or the forgotten ones that always finished far behind the doped up leaders? I'm sure there were a lot of them who were told they would not be competitive without drugs but resisted anyway. Those people are the reason that Lance's achievements should not be honored and that Bonds should not be in the HOF.

THIS!

Honestly, I think it's like honoring the financial accomplishments of Bernie Madoff. The cheaters stole glory at the expense of untold others.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-23, 10:27 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
The pro peloton has never been clean nor will it ever be, it’ll take the testing folks a while to catch up to the new drugs

Last edited by Germany_chris; 06-06-23 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-06-23, 10:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
The pro peloton has never been clean nor will it ever be, it’ll take the testing folks to catch up to the new drugs
I believe it is a LOT cleaner today than ever. Of course there will be some cheaters lurking around, but I think the culture has genuinely changed for the better.

It would be unfairly cynical to state that modern pros are routinely cheating, just because the previous generations were. Not without hard, proven evidence at least.
Old 06-06-23, 10:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
But pro cycling topics are no longer banned in Road or General and I'm happy to see this one regardless the mixed reception.
It's always good to know the forum rules, published or not! The prevalence of mechanical threads left in General made me suspect that keeping things in the appropriate sub forum was no longer a priority. Maybe it will be more fun this way. Like reaching blindly into a box of chocolates, never know what you'll get!
Old 06-06-23, 11:26 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg

IMHO - that's where the line between Olympic and professional sports should be drawn. College vs pro as well.

Olympics/college sports should be based on pure talent... free from the pressures of money and doping and no professionals allowed.

Professional sports are 100% driven by money and results. They are for show, for entertainment - and profits. Do the best drivers drive F1? Or do the drivers that will make the most money for the team, and in many cases come with backing money, end up as the drivers? You don't see a bunch of ugly, unpresentable race car drivers bopping around out there. They are all generally good looking, well spoken, marketable individuals - because the sport is about money.
Old 06-06-23, 11:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honestly, I think it's like honoring the financial accomplishments of Bernie Madoff.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Being the best at cheating and ruining other peoples' livelihoods for your own personal gain is not something I find worthy of honor or respect.
Old 06-06-23, 11:49 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
IMHO - that's where the line between Olympic and professional sports should be drawn. College vs pro as well.

Olympics/college sports should be based on pure talent... free from the pressures of money and doping and no professionals allowed.

Professional sports are 100% driven by money and results. They are for show, for entertainment - and profits. Do the best drivers drive F1? Or do the drivers that will make the most money for the team, and in many cases come with backing money, end up as the drivers? You don't see a bunch of ugly, unpresentable race car drivers bopping around out there. They are all generally good looking, well spoken, marketable individuals - because the sport is about money.
You can rest assured there are billions of dollars at stake in the Olympics or College Sports. Only with your model, the athlete will get none of it; not sure how that helps anyone.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-06-23, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
You can rest assured there are billions of dollars at stake in the Olympics or College Sports. Only with your model, the athlete will get none of it; not sure how that helps anyone.

Strictly amateur was, of course, the old system in the Olympics, and it was a completely ridiculous, infinitely manipulable standard. Remember the earnest, clean amateur athletes of East Germany?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-23, 12:18 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Whatever you think about LA's behavior while competing he has a lot of knowledge about the sport and is very good at relating that info through podcasts, interviews, etc. Hate him all you want, but I've gotten a lot out of listening to what he says.
Old 06-06-23, 01:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt

Classic. Bonus points for doing it while ripping someone else for poor writing.
The OP was being ironic. I do that sometimes just for giggles. The most fun thing about this thread so far is that those who listened to the podcast have interesting things to say, in contrast to the religious fervor and lack of content in the earlier posts.

Some things which aren't usually commented on:
Lance's amazing ability to not lose much muscle mass during GTs. His ability to recover was amazing. He had to lose 7 kilos of protein prepping for his comeback.
His ability to not wind up in the wrong place in a race. Planning and foresight, or just good luck?
His skills in bike handling and somehow avoiding road hazards. I noticed that these skills or his luck seemed to evaporate during his comeback. His mental ability wasn't what it was, or was that a result of drugging or just the confidence that came with the drugging?
Old 06-06-23, 01:12 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
The OP was being ironic. I do that sometimes just for giggles. The most fun thing about this thread so far is that those who listened to the podcast have interesting things to say, in contrast to the religious fervor and lack of content in the earlier posts.

Some things which aren't usually commented on:
Lance's amazing ability to not lose much muscle mass during GTs. His ability to recover was amazing. He had to lose 7 kilos of protein prepping for his comeback.
His ability to not wind up in the wrong place in a race. Planning and foresight, or just good luck?
His skills in bike handling and somehow avoiding road hazards. I noticed that these skills or his luck seemed to evaporate during his comeback. His mental ability wasn't what it was, or was that a result of drugging or just the confidence that came with the drugging?

Regarding OP... Requiring the world to listen to 2.5 hour video and comment on nothing else until they do so is a tall order. I just skipped that.

I was having fun with the guy being critical of OP's writing, while at the same time using "good" instead of "well." Pet peeve of mine.
Old 06-06-23, 01:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
I was having fun with the guy being critical of OP's writing, while at the same time using "good" instead of "well." Pet peeve of mine.
You did not grasp that I was having fun with the OP's syntactical error, which was using "good" instead of "well" -- even though I quoted it in my post.

People who miss the obvious are a pet peeve of mine.
Old 06-06-23, 01:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
A few well done studies* have concluded that some very highly paid professional athletes are among the most exploited (in absolute dollar amounts) workers in our economy, as measured by the difference between the revenue they generate (for teams and sponsors) vs their incomes. I see no reason to believe that high level non-professional athletes would be any different, but I haven't seen such analyses.

*I read these quite a few years ago...In some sports, it's possible that rising salaries have narrowed the gaps a bit.
Old 06-06-23, 01:50 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I find it troubling that Greg LeMond would get lumped into a logical guilt by association fallacy that "they all were dopers therefore he is one too."
After 40+ years, if he did cheat using PED's, there would be compelling evidence to support this claim.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-06-23 at 01:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.