Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 01:52 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Please do not comment unless you've completed listening to the podcast episode.
You knew that was never going to work out, right?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-06-23, 02:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Lance is also appearing in “Stars On Mars”
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-06-23, 02:12 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
My thoughts on that:

1) I'm a big Greg fan and also lament the way that situation played out for him. So much so that I have an active thread in the valuation forum right now where I'm considering buying a Zurich. That, partially, as a show of support for Greg.

2) I worry that Greg's initial Lance criticisms may have been substantially motivated by professional jealously. I think that it may have bothered Greg to be eclipsed by another American so soon after his own accomplishments. To this day, Greg's branding is still very much "the only true American TDF champion". Which he may, in fact, be.

3) Most of what I've consumed regarding the Greg / Lance era leads me to suspect that Greg was also doping, just doping differently and less effectively than Lance based on what was available at the time. Obviously, if that's the case, then there is hypocrisy at play.

4) Once Greg had Lance backed into a corner and in self preservation mode, the outcome was predictable (at least in hind sight). Greg certainly did not deserve what happened to him. I do think that he could have avoided much of it by being more strategic however.
What evidence is there of such an unfounded, slanderous smear?

First of all recombinant EPO was first available in 1989.

Greg won his second Tour in 1990 and was world champ way before then. Indurain was barely pack filler in 89-90.

In 1991, I watched TdF in person. Indurain destroyed both Lemond and Hampsten up Alpe dHuez. IIRC, Hampsten won the climber's jersey in the Tour de Suisse that year and a 90 Kg horse beats him up? If Lemond were the one doping after the advent of epo, how would he lose to a previous pack filler like Indurain?

Last edited by BillyD; 06-06-23 at 03:06 PM. Reason: FOS too much.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-06-23, 02:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Lance is also appearing in “Stars On Mars”
Is that the present day version of Fantasy Island?
Old 06-06-23, 02:41 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
a) Attia absolutely crushes it as an interviewer, especially in his being non-judgmental in a way that almost no LA interviewers ever are. And the technical bent as you mentioned.
4) I thought that the latest LA documentary, by 30 for 30 was a good complement to this podcast. The podcast prompted me to watch, listen, and read pretty much everything available on LA. I didn't track the original story so it's mostly new to me.
YES! Someone who gets it! Thank you.

I know nothing about cycling and I was transfixed by this interview
Attia indeed CRUSHES it as the interviewer.

This is a very technical interview, nothing like Oprah media fluff.

The cancer discussion was a medical class
Headache, blurry vision, and coughing up blood as a testicular cancer marker.
Orchiectomy due to seminomatous tumor vs. choreocarcinoma
The downsides of BEP bleomycin, the progression of 4 cycles of chemo.
I forgot that Lance also has brain cancer spread.

The PED discussion was a medical class
Hematocrit levels, etc.

The race discussion was a cycling history class
Giro, Tour, Vuelta, etc.
He recalls every race he rode in detail year by year, 97,98,99,00,01,etc.

Last edited by grantelmwood; 06-06-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 02:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Is that the present day version of Fantasy Island?
Oh, it's much better (and somehow much worse) than that

​​​​​​​
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-06-23, 02:53 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
His ability to not wind up in the wrong place in a race. Planning and foresight, or just good luck?
His skills in bike handling and somehow avoiding road hazards.
He talks about this incident at one point in the interview.
Blind luck he says.
Tar was boiling.

Old 06-06-23, 02:55 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11962 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
THIS!

Honestly, I think it's like honoring the financial accomplishments of Bernie Madoff. The cheaters stole glory at the expense of untold others.
Yeah but you're ignoring one thing: Lance and Bonds would still have dominated their fields if they were clean. These same people who weren't competitive because they did the right thing still wouldn't have been competitive enough if they had cheated. Those "untold others" still would have been untold. Canon fodder is still essentially canon fodder if you come along at the wrong time.

Reminds me of the Ali era in boxing. Frazier, Holmes and Foreman ALL would have taken a turn as champion if they weren't unfortunate enough to come along during Ali's reign.
Old 06-06-23, 02:55 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

The OP was being ironic. I do that sometimes just for giggles.
Some r too stoopid to get satyre
Old 06-06-23, 03:04 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11962 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Lance is a criminal, who hurt a lot of people. Nothing about him belongs in General Cycling.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
So, you are full of ****.
You need to take it easy, my friend.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-06-23, 03:33 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
Whatever you think about LA's behavior while competing he has a lot of knowledge about the sport and is very good at relating that info through podcasts, interviews, etc. Hate him all you want, but I've gotten a lot out of listening to what he says.
He's really good at shilling whatever products he's pushing at the moment.
Old 06-06-23, 03:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4942 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Yeah but you're ignoring one thing: Lance and Bonds would still have dominated their fields if they were clean. These same people who weren't competitive because they did the right thing still wouldn't have been competitive enough if they had cheated. Those "untold others" still would have been untold. Canon fodder is still essentially canon fodder if you come along at the wrong time.
If everyone was clean...maybe. Bonds' ability to deliver a round bat to a moving round ball is an athletic skill that isn't elevated by massive strength, and in that skill, he was exceptional. Massive strength gains improve the ability to hit the ball hard, which influences not only HR numbers, but also batting average for balls that stay inside the park. As for Armstrong, I'm less convinced that he would have dominated. The effects of PEDs used in cycling are not trivial. From one of the LA movies, I recall a segment where Frankie Andreu's wife was talking about watching Frankie leading up a big climb in the Tour, and right then she knew he was on dope. Armstrong changed the world of pro cycling by the way he trained with Chris Carmichael, targeting just one peak race. An argument can be made that the training component was enough of a difference maker. I'm not totally convinced. LA was a fiercely-determined competitor, to be sure, but his VO2max was good, but not exceptional.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-06-23 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 03:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The OP was being ironic. I do that sometimes just for giggles. The most fun thing about this thread so far is that those who listened to the podcast have interesting things to say, in contrast to the religious fervor and lack of content in the earlier posts.

Some things which aren't usually commented on:
Lance's amazing ability to not lose much muscle mass during GTs. His ability to recover was amazing. He had to lose 7 kilos of protein prepping for his comeback.
​​​​
He still hasn't admitted the testosterone he was busted for during the comeback, has he?
Ability not that amazing with that.
Old 06-06-23, 03:44 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I feel that it is logically irrational to assume Greg Lamond's innocence. Kind to assume his innocence?? Yes. Fair? Yes. Rational? No, based on these arguments.

1) Pretty much everything that I've read, listened to, or viewed on the history of the Tour de France suggests that it was dirty pretty much from inception until, at the least, the end of the Lance Armstrong era. This included EPO, corticosteroids, beer, plain old train hopping, and who knows what else. What are the odd that everybody before LeMond took PEDs, everybody after LeMond took PEDs, but Greg himself did not take PEDs for that brief moment in cycling history? Not great I would say.

2) One of the reasons that Lance was able to persist in his doping and lying as long as he did is because much of the world insisted upon having incontrovertible evidence of Lance's guilt before condemning him. And look how well that turned out for us? One of the important lessons of the Armstrong episode is precisely that it is irrational to presume PED innocence when the incentive structure overwhelmingly supports PED use. One of the lessons that we should take from Lance's guilt is LeMond's probable guilt. Not certain guilt, probable guilt. Those are different.

3) Attia and San Millan discuss the Indurain case in a way that I feel is salient. My takeaway from that discussion is that they, like me, suspect that:

a) Indurain used PEDs like most everyone before him.

b) No serious attempt has been made to investigate Indurain or anyone before him because would be a public relations nightmare for cycling if the result wound up jus being "Yup, it was always dirty. Cyclists are just despicable".

Since LeMond preceded Indurain, he may have gotten a pass simply based on chronology. Sometime after Indurain, but before Lance, was where the cutoff was deemed to be best placed.

It is possible that Greg LeMond was innocent. I'm not refuting that. And if he was innocent, then the presumption of his guilt by association is a travesty. That said, I don't feel that anyone -- other than Greg -- is well served by denying what is likely the truth of the situation for a lack of incontrovertible proof.

Last edited by Harold74; 06-06-23 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 03:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Oh, it's much better (and somehow much worse) than that

I was in the room while my wife watched that show last night. It was awful. I expect her to watch next week, as well.
Old 06-06-23, 03:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Yeah but you're ignoring one thing: Lance and Bonds would still have dominated their fields if they were clean.
You assert this as fact, but it is actually speculation. You have no way of knowing whether it's true, because it did not happen that way.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-06-23, 03:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Yeah but you're ignoring one thing: Lance and Bonds would still have dominated their fields if they were clean. .
Bonds, yes because he actually was doing it. But LA admits to doping starting about 1992. I don't think there's any way to support that claim in his case because he was doping damn near from day 1.

So, not ignoring it in LA's case I'm flat out denying it.

I don't think Bonds would have broken Hank Aaron's record, btw. I think that's a damn shame because Aaron actually had routine plausible death threats on his way to that. The man had courage and class.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-23, 03:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I don't think Bonds would have broken Hank Aaron's record, btw. I think that's a damn shame because Aaron actually had routine plausible death threats on his way to that. The man had courage and class.
Agreed. Without the additional strength/power, a LOT more balls stay in the yard.
Old 06-06-23, 04:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I feel that it is logically irrational to assume Greg Lamond's innocence. Kind to assume his innocence?? Yes. Fair? Yes. Rational? No, based on these arguments.

1) Pretty much everything that I've read, listened to, or viewed on the history of the Tour de France suggests that it was dirty pretty much from inception until, at the least, the end of the Lance Armstrong era. This included EPO, corticosteroids, beer, plain old train hopping, and who knows what else. What are the odd that everybody before LeMond took PEDs, everybody after LeMond took PEDs, but Greg himself did not take PEDs for that brief moment in cycling history? Not great I would say.

2) One of the reasons that Lance was able to persist in his doping and lying as long as he did is because much of the world insisted upon having incontrovertible evidence of Lance's guilt before condemning him. And look how well that turned out for us? One of the important lessons of the Armstrong episode is precisely that it is irrational to presume PED innocence when the incentive structure overwhelmingly supports PED use. One of the lessons that we should take from Lance's guilt is LeMond's probable guilt. Not certain guilt, probable guilt. Those are different.

3) Attia and San Millan discuss the Indurain case in a way that I feel is salient. My takeaway from that discussion is that they, like me, suspect that:

a) Indurain used PEDs like most everyone before him.

b) No serious attempt has been made to investigate Indurain or anyone before him because would be a public relations nightmare for cycling if the result wound up jus being "Yup, it was always dirty. Cyclists are just despicable".

Since LeMond preceded Indurain, he may have gotten a pass simply based on chronology. Sometime after Indurain, but before Lance, was where the cutoff was deemed to be best placed.

It is possible that Greg LeMond was innocent. I'm not refuting that. And if he was innocent, then the presumption of his guilt by association is a travesty. That said, I don't feel that anyone -- other than Greg -- is well served by denying what is likely the truth of the situation for a lack of incontrovertible truth.
Sorry but that is just babbling bs asserting we should just assume Lemond is guilty of something. That last sentence is so convoluted that I think you look embarrassed by it somewhere in the middle.

I am not assuming his " probable " guilt because there's no individualized proof of any kind. None.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-06-23, 04:02 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

I also feel that it is important to view Lance himself as one of the victims PED use. I believe that a plausible case can be made that, in the absence of PEDs, Lance's story may well have worked out like this:

1) Still the seven time Tour de France winner.

2) Still a cancer survivor who proved that it is possible to be not just as good as you were before cancer but better.

3) Not a man with his reputation in tatters because he was put in situations that provided massive incentives for him to lie and bully.

4) Not a man who ingested potentially dangerous PEDs because he was put in situations that provided massive incentives for him to ingest them.

5) Perhaps not a man who got cancer at all if PED had anything to do with that as he himself speculates.

6) A man who, himself, is confident that he was the legitimate champion without any taint.

Yes, Lance was ruthless and that caused his initial outcome to be better than that of many other "victims". I feel that he's one of the victims of PED use none the less.
Old 06-06-23, 04:05 PM
Harold74

Sorry but that is just babbling bs asserting we should just assume Lemond is guilty of something. That last sentence is so convoluted that I think you look embarrassed by it somewhere in the middle.
Effectively, you are refuting my logic by way launching personal attacks against me. I'm babbling, I'm spewing BS, my writing is convoluted, I look embarrassed.

Sadly, that is very Lance-esque of you.

I am not assuming his " probable " guilt because there's no individualized proof of any kind. None.
Individualized proof is not a valid argument against probable guilt. Probability is about aggregate trends, not individual outcomes. That was the crux of my post and precisely what facilitated Lance's debauchery for so long. Do they not flip coins and play cards where you live? I feel as though they probably do.

Last edited by Harold74; 06-06-23 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 04:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I also feel that it is important to view Lance himself as one of the victims PED use. I believe that a plausible case can be made that, in the absence of PEDs, Lance's story may well have worked out like this:

1) Still the seven time Tour de France winner.

2) Still a cancer survivor who proved that it is possible to be not just as good as you were before cancer but better.

3) Not a man with his reputation in tatters because he was put in situations that provided massive incentives for him to lie and bully.

4) Not a man who ingested potentially dangerous PEDs because he was put in situations that provided massive incentives for him to ingest them.

5) Perhaps not a man who got cancer at all if PED had anything to do with that as he himself speculates.

6) A man who, himself, is confident that he was the legitimate champion without any taint.

Yes, Lance was ruthless and that caused his initial outcome to be better than that of many other "victims". I feel that he's one of the victims of PED use none the less.
I have a hard time swallowing the "victim" thing. He was a willing and knowledgeable participant, and an integral part of the system.
Old 06-06-23, 04:20 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I was a big Lance fan, even through the early doping, even in to the mid-career doping. It was when he started lying and threw his own team mates and friends under the bus and lied about his own use that I lost all respect for him. Then I read Tyler Hamilton's book and that was a real eye opener.
Old 06-06-23, 04:21 PM
Harold74

To be very clear on a couple of things regarding LeMond:

1) I'm not suggesting that Lemond took EPO. I'm suggesting that he probably took whatever PED's were prevalent during his reign, prior to the advent of EPO in cycling. That said, I see little difference ethically.

2) I admire LeMond and in no way disdain him. Not for his criticism of Lance, not for his use of PEDs IF he used them, and not for his hypocrisy IF he did use PED's.

Like Lance, I see Greg as a product of his times and circumstances.
Old 06-06-23, 04:31 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
There is no evidence that Greg took performance enhancing drugs. On the contrary, his tested VO2 max as an 18 year old amateur was one of the highest ever recorded.

That this forum would allow someone to slander Greg without sanction is beyond despicable.
Likes For GhostRider62:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.