Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Old 06-07-23, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
No, that is not even remotely what I'm saying. I'm saying that moral judgment must, rationally, take context into account even if legal judgement cannot.

Both kinds of judgment require context, but often differ regarding which factors of context may apply. Suffice it to say, I don't think "I needed to do it to feed my children" is on the same moral plain as "I needed to do it to make sure I got my 5th yellow jersey." You've plopped yourself into "the ends justify the means" hell here with this one. If you're going that way morally, you need to at least acknowledge that feeding our children is itself a moral imperative, while doing despicable things to other people to win the jersey is just abandoning right and wrong for reasons of naked ambition.
Old 06-07-23, 02:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
I think I'm starting to understand why Lance Armstrong was a forbidden topic.
Old 06-07-23, 02:16 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
...and another loser gets added to the ignore list
More personal attacks and bullying.

I keep getting threatened with this ignore list business but nobody ever seems to follow through. The bitter parties just keep resurfacing. And that's too bad because I really don't want to talk to people who don't want to talk to me.

So, please, put me on that ignore list. I want that.
Old 06-07-23, 02:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you were trying to state that bike racing would be boring without competitiveness, then you are right. But, the criticisms of LA are due to his unethical / immoral / corrupt behavior, and that is the context that your post was made.
And those criticisms are warranted. Never said they weren't. It's still true that Lance woke up US cycling, made cyclists much less likely to be dopers, and inspired many young people. He started a revolution in cycling by showing up the lax regulation which permitted him to do what he did.

Looking back through history, many positive changes originated with people who took things too far. Marie Curie died of radiation poisoning. We can criticize him but we should also recognize that he forced reforms on race management. As Jacques Anquetil said, “You can’t ride the Tour de France on mineral water.” That's still true, but we now at least try to make the playing field more equal, which it wasn't back in Anquetil's day and wasn't right up to Lance's finally losing his jerseys.

It's the old story of radar speed traps vs. radar detectors. Chemistry both enabled riders to dope and provided the means to detect said doping. Back in Anquetil's day, doping wasn't detectable. Then a long period where it was detectable, but race officials declined to test riders lest there be a shadow on racing. Lance rather broke that model. If he'd only won two Tours, maybe nothing would have happened and there's still be doping. But no, Lance couldn't resist.

So we can say that actually Lance did the sport a favor and at great personal cost. Don't worry, be happy!
Old 06-07-23, 02:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
So we can say that actually Lance did the sport a favor and at great personal cost. Don't worry, be happy!
That's a warped perspective. It's like claiming a criminal did criminology a favor at great personal cost.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-07-23, 02:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
And those criticisms are warranted. Never said they weren't. It's still true that Lance woke up US cycling, made cyclists much less likely to be dopers, and inspired many young people. He started a revolution in cycling by showing up the lax regulation which permitted him to do what he did.

Looking back through history, many positive changes originated with people who took things too far. Marie Curie died of radiation poisoning. We can criticize him but we should also recognize that he forced reforms on race management. As Jacques Anquetil said, “You can’t ride the Tour de France on mineral water.” That's still true, but we now at least try to make the playing field more equal, which it wasn't back in Anquetil's day and wasn't right up to Lance's finally losing his jerseys.

It's the old story of radar speed traps vs. radar detectors. Chemistry both enabled riders to dope and provided the means to detect said doping. Back in Anquetil's day, doping wasn't detectable. Then a long period where it was detectable, but race officials declined to test riders lest there be a shadow on racing. Lance rather broke that model. If he'd only won two Tours, maybe nothing would have happened and there's still be doping. But no, Lance couldn't resist.

Should we credit al Qaeda for their contributions to airline security?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-23, 02:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Havent read more than 10 posts in this thread, dont think I need to and probably havent missed much.
Anyways, just came here to say that Lance can still drive responses faster than a hot take from Grant Petersen.

I dare say- this thread has gotten to 9 pages quicker than most rydabent threads.
Old 06-07-23, 02:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You started this argument by posting your "thoughts" on Greg LeMond in response to a posting of mine that merely mentioned LeMond in passing. I'm not even a big fan of GL, but I definitely find arguments that someone should be assumed to be guilty because specious reasons to be morally offensive. I will freely insult such arguments because I don't believe those arguments should be given any respect whatsoever. If you don't want your argument to be called "scummy", don't make scummy arguments.
Unfortunately, the history that we've seen with PED use in pro cycling - since before Lemond's era - has been rampant enough to throw a cloud of suspicion over everyone in the sport. I've been a fan of bike racing since the Lemond era, and would like to think that he was a clean rider. There certainly hasn't been any concrete evidence (that I'm aware of) to contradict that conclusion, but no one admits to doping until they get caught. However, we know doping technologies existed at the time, and testing technologies were not nearly as advanced as they are now. To me, it's enough to ponder whether Greg was actually clean, or whether he was far enough ahead of the testing curve to never get caught. It sucks that I question it, but here we are. I understand that people may have different viewpoints. I'm not trying to argue for or against anything. This is just where my own thoughts are on the situation.
Old 06-07-23, 02:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Should we credit al Qaeda for their contributions to airline security?
It would be a crappy position to take, but that argument could be made. Just to be clear, I will not be one who takes that position.
Old 06-07-23, 02:55 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I can only assume you are engaging in this sophistry intentionally...
There you go again with the bullying, personal insults. You do realize that to accuse me of engaging in sophistry is to accuse me of lying deliberately with the intention to deceive? Is that you making use of your killer debate class training to subdue me with rational argument?

To be clear, I have studied probabilities, logic, evidence, and moral philosophy, and I'm very sorry that you are babbling incoherently (literally, none of your arguments cohere) on those subjects to support a morally despicable groundless accusation against someone. It is not bullying when I point that out.
That's right, it's not. What has been bullying has been your persistently hurling bullying, personal insults at me which, so far, include implying that I am the following:

- Immoral.
- Nasty.
- A deliberate liar.
- An idiot.
- A babbling bull*hitter.
- Scummy.
- Convoluted.
- Despicable.
- Incoherent.
- A Whiner.

These are all your words. And all of that in the course of a single discussion and without a single response in kind from me. Not one!

Are you really telling me that, If someone spoke this way to your wife or one of your kids in real life, you wouldn't call that bullying??

...I really don't have patience for people who can dish out groundless accusations then can't take the inevitable backlash that will provoke.
What on earth suggests to you that I cannot take the "backlash"? I'm still here, taking it, aren't I? It is you threatening to pack it in:

I'm really not wasting any more time I'm sure you'll whine about being bullied one more time.
And yes, I will "whine" about being bullied one more time given that, in this one post, you have added "nasty", "immoral", "incoherent", and "willful liar" to your arm's long list of insulting, personal slurs.

Can I be a promiscuous masseuse as well??
Old 06-07-23, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Eric F
Unfortunately, the history that we've seen with PED use in pro cycling - since before Lemond's era - has been rampant enough to throw a cloud of suspicion over everyone in the sport. I've been a fan of bike racing since the Lemond era, and would like to think that he was a clean rider. There certainly hasn't been any concrete evidence (that I'm aware of) to contradict that conclusion, but no one admits to doping until they get caught. However, we know doping technologies existed at the time, and testing technologies were not nearly as advanced as they are now. To me, it's enough to ponder whether Greg was actually clean, or whether he was far enough ahead of the testing curve to never get caught. It sucks that I question it, but here we are. I understand that people may have different viewpoints. I'm not trying to argue for or against anything. This is just where my own thoughts are on the situation.

There's a world of difference between what you're saying here and what's irked me so much about Harold's posts. You're basically saying we can't entirely eliminate the possibility that GL doped. I happen to think it's pretty damned unlikely as there's certainly been a lot of people who would've loved to expose him if it had been the case. Harold, OTOH, has said we should just assume that GL was a) guilty and b) a hypocrite because of "probability". To me, that kind of unfounded assumption of guilt in the absence of any individualized proof is just morally reprehensible.
Old 06-07-23, 03:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

There's a world of difference between what you're saying here and what's irked me so much about Harold's posts. You're basically saying we can't entirely eliminate the possibility that GL doped. I happen to think it's pretty damned unlikely as there's certainly been a lot of people who would've loved to expose him if it had been the case. Harold, OTOH, has said we should just assume that GL was a) guilty and b) a hypocrite because of "probability". To me, that kind of unfounded assumption of guilt in the absence of any individualized proof is just morally reprehensible.
I get where you're coming from, and my intent is not to defend Harold. You think Greg doping was "pretty damned unlikely". Harold thinks there's an assumption due to "probability". I would put myself somewhere in the middle of those two positions. Greg was a spectacular racer, but the history of the sport leaves me less than 100% certain he was clean. (IMO, YMMV)
Old 06-07-23, 03:28 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Too many personal insults to delete and clean up. Thread closed.