Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle for heavy rider

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle for heavy rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 09:27 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 177 Posts
Saddle for heavy rider

Are some saddles just not good for heavy riders?
I have a 2012 Specialized Roubaix that I bought used. It has what I think is the original saddle. It just isn’t very comfortable. I have read several reviews about riders not liking the Specialized saddles.
I weight about 258 right now. I was 305 in January and my goal is 200 or under.
Will this saddle get more comfortable as I lose weight? Are there saddles worth buying for heavy riders orcare they just gimmicks?

Last edited by pepperbelly; 06-05-23 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-05-23, 09:41 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
You may have heard it before but a saddle is the most personal thing on a bike. My weight has gone up and down a bit and it never changed the way felt about a saddle.
You're supposed to support your weight on your sit bones so it shouldn't matter if your butt gets chunky.

You probably have to try different saddles to find one you like. Then they'll stop making it.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-05-23, 09:53 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Clyde Forum best place to weigh an answer.
Old 06-06-23, 12:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Shells can flex and rails can bend, leading to contact with the seatpost clamp or head, ruining the suspension of the saddle and causing discomfort, and the saddle padding can excessively compress under weight, losing cushioning, so yes, there are rider weight-related issues with saddles.

It can be hard to know which saddles are unsuitable, as few manufacturers publish weight limits, and because saddle adjustment and seatpost type are wildcard factors which can mitigate or exacerbate the weightbearing limit.

It’s also hard to know if more padding will yield comfort or cause discomfort, so be aware that solution maynotbe a panacea. Generally more padding is better for heavier riders, but I think it can be overdone and become a detriment.

In short, there are no easy, surefire answers as to what any individual will find comfortable to sit on, regardless of weight, so trial-and-error is how it’s done. Getting some tips on where to start looking could save time, and the Clydesdale subforum might be a good place to start.

I’m 245lbs and have good results from both San Marco ShortFit Racing and Fizik Aliante R3 saddles, both of which would seem to be unlikely choices as lightweight, thinly padded saddles, but they work for me. Saddle shape is very important to comfort.

I also am pleased with SQ Labs 611 Active saddle with the lightest elastomer installed, even though I am over the rated weight max. I’ve been on it for probably two, maybe three years, on my daily utility bike, but maybe the high volume 650b x48mm tires provide critical extra suspension. Go figure.

Good luck!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-06-23, 07:44 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by chaadster
Shells can flex and rails can bend, leading to contact with the seatpost clamp or head, ruining the suspension of the saddle and causing discomfort, and the saddle padding can excessively compress under weight, losing cushioning, so yes, there are rider weight-related issues with saddles.

It can be hard to know which saddles are unsuitable, as few manufacturers publish weight limits, and because saddle adjustment and seatpost type are wildcard factors which can mitigate or exacerbate the weightbearing limit.

It’s also hard to know if more padding will yield comfort or cause discomfort, so be aware that solution maynotbe a panacea. Generally more padding is better for heavier riders, but I think it can be overdone and become a detriment.

In short, there are no easy, surefire answers as to what any individual will find comfortable to sit on, regardless of weight, so trial-and-error is how it’s done. Getting some tips on where to start looking could save time, and the Clydesdale subforum might be a good place to start.

I’m 245lbs and have good results from both San Marco ShortFit Racing and Fizik Aliante R3 saddles, both of which would seem to be unlikely choices as lightweight, thinly padded saddles, but they work for me. Saddle shape is very important to comfort.

I also am pleased with SQ Labs 611 Active saddle with the lightest elastomer installed, even though I am over the rated weight max. I’ve been on it for probably two, maybe three years, on my daily utility bike, but maybe the high volume 650b x48mm tires provide critical extra suspension. Go figure.

Good luck!

Thanks. I may wait and tough it out untill I get closer to my weight goal before I think about changing saddles.
Old 06-06-23, 08:18 AM
big john

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Thanks. I may wait and tough it out untill I get closer to my weight goal before I think about changing saddles.
If you ride with others maybe you can ask to try their bike and see how the saddle feels? Some stores have loaner saddles you can put on your bike for a while.

Some club riders have multiple saddles lying around. I've had 5 or 6 at times, gave some away.

Your weight isn't really all that high. I've been about the same (200 now) and I've ridden with heavier guys. The problem we have is we break things, usually wheels, but I have broken several saddles, too. Usually the rails break.

I've been happy with some of the Selle Italia saddles I've had. Saddles come in different widths and you can measure your sit bones to see how wide they are. Some stores have a tool for this, called an assometer or something. You can sit on soft cardboard and measure the impression left by your sit bones. Or you can try different widths and see what feels right.

I also like a cut-out or relief channel in the center. Some people who use hard leather saddles, like Brooks, will cut their own relief in the leather.

Losing weight will mean less pressure on the seat but your sit bones will still be in the same place. Practice keeping your weight on them and off soft tissue.

And more money won't necessarily get more comfort. I've had cheap saddles on my mountain bike which were very comfortable (but fell apart) and expensive road saddles I couldn't stand.
Old 06-06-23, 09:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I wouldn’t suggest that! You deserve to be comfy when riding regardless of your weight, and the right saddles for you are out there and should not be too hard to find.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-06-23, 03:01 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by big john
If you ride with others maybe you can ask to try their bike and see how the saddle feels? Some stores have loaner saddles you can put on your bike for a while.

Some club riders have multiple saddles lying around. I've had 5 or 6 at times, gave some away.

Your weight isn't really all that high. I've been about the same (200 now) and I've ridden with heavier guys. The problem we have is we break things, usually wheels, but I have broken several saddles, too. Usually the rails break.

I've been happy with some of the Selle Italia saddles I've had. Saddles come in different widths and you can measure your sit bones to see how wide they are. Some stores have a tool for this, called an assometer or something. You can sit on soft cardboard and measure the impression left by your sit bones. Or you can try different widths and see what feels right.

I also like a cut-out or relief channel in the center. Some people who use hard leather saddles, like Brooks, will cut their own relief in the leather.

Losing weight will mean less pressure on the seat but your sit bones will still be in the same place. Practice keeping your weight on them and off soft tissue.

And more money won't necessarily get more comfort. I've had cheap saddles on my mountain bike which were very comfortable (but fell apart) and expensive road saddles I couldn't stand.
I don’t have anyone to ride with. It would help if I was around others. I don’t know even how my cadence is.
I have been using a stationary bike to get my legs back in shape some. I do 30 minutes at level 4 or 5. At around 14mph it says 7 miles and 65 watts. I’m not sure how that is even measured.
I feel ready to go ride. My legs feel good. I weighed 305 at the end of January. I weighed 259 Monday, yesterday. My intermediate goal is 255 by this Friday. It will be my birthday and a 50 pound loss would be really good.
It’s tough working out on a keto diet with intermittent fasting. I run out of gas.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 06-06-23 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-06-23, 03:36 PM
big john

I don’t have anyone to ride with. It would help if I was around others. I don’t know even how my cadence is.
I have been using a stationary bike to get my legs back in shape some. I do 30 minutes at level 4 or 5. At around 14mph it says 7 miles and 65 watts. I’m not sure how that is even measured.
I feel ready to go ride. My legs feel good. I weighed 305 at the end of January. I weighed 259 lest Monday. My intermediate goal is 255 by this Friday. It will be my birthday and a 50 pound loss would be really good.
It’s tough working out on a heto diet with intermittent fasting. I run out of gas.
To me, riding with friends and clubmates is what keeps me going. I've been a member of a road club for 34 years and have made some good friends there.
Riding alone has it's plusses and I don't have to chase younger, faster people, but group rides with the right people are what I look forward to.

Good luck with the weight loss! Another thing about riding bikes is I'm forced to keep my weight under control. I do know some yo-yo dieters who ride.Today I rode with a friend who has been from 300 down to 180 and back up to 240. Today he is about 225, I think, which makes climbing harder than it should be. @180 he was an absolute beast.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-06-23, 04:32 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Toughing it out on an uncomfortable saddle might discourage longer rides.
My wife just got a new bike and I could not get a more comfortable saddle on there fast enough.
The last thing I needed was her going back to her old bike.
The new bike is 17lb lighter than the old one and I didn't want her to become disillusioned with it.

She is now very happy with the saddle.
I needed to find wider and with some serious padding, so I experimented with a Zeta Ultimate, it's a newer brand I saw at Sea Otter.
It won't win any races, but the price is right & it sure is cushy.

All the best

Barry
Old 06-06-23, 04:49 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 265 Posts
Tricycle saddles are your friend here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mooncool.jpg (98.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-06-23, 05:07 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by soyabean
tricycle saddles are your friend here.

😄😄😄😄
Old 06-06-23, 05:08 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Are the OEM Specialized saddles as bad as I have read? I don’t have anything to compare to.
Old 06-06-23, 05:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Are the OEM Specialized saddles as bad as I have read? I don’t have anything to compare to.
I don't know what you've read but I haven't seen that generalization before. They seem to put some thought into the fit of their shoes, saddles, helmets, etc. It sounds to me as if you just need more miles under your butt. Until you are able to easily ride 20+ miles, stuff is going to hurt. Chaffing is the exception. If you are getting rubbed raw, change something.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-06-23, 06:59 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't know what you've read but I haven't seen that generalization before. They seem to put some thought into the fit of their shoes, saddles, helmets, etc. It sounds to me as if you just need more miles under your butt. Until you are able to easily ride 20+ miles, stuff is going to hurt. Chaffing is the exception. If you are getting rubbed raw, change something.
I don’t remember where I read it but someone said their saddles were medieval torture devices.
Old 06-06-23, 07:32 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I do have my weight on my sit bones. Sometimes I am not sure where on the saddle I need to be but that is something I can deal with even if it takes having my bike fitted to me.
It isn't intolerable. I will stay with what I have for now. Maybe my new bibs will help.
Old 06-06-23, 07:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I don’t remember where I read it but someone said their saddles were medieval torture devices.
Sure someone probably did say that, people say a lot of things it doesn't make any of it true for you. Specialized makes great saddles but everyone's butt is different and also some people are really really really bad at reviewing saddles as they probably just slap it on the bike and don't adjust it properly or let themselves get used to it.

I hear all the time "that saddle is uncomfortable" from someone who hasn't even ridden on it ONCE and only are parroting bad advice from someone who probably doesn't know what they are talking about. Saddles are a very personal thing but in the end you have to ride it and adjust it and then make determinations when you first look at saddle all you can tell me is what it says on the saddle and beyond that you are going to be pretty blind. If you get one that is the right size for your sit bones. ride it a bunch and make sure it is adjusted or get a fitter involved so you can actually get it properly adjusted you can then know "OK, this saddle just isn't for me".
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-06-23, 09:55 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I am 6'3" and about 250 Lbs. I have a Specialized saddle on the tandem. It is flat and hard as a board. It is comfortable for me.

I also have a couple of Fizik Arione R3 large saddles and they are my current saddle of choice.

Fizik used to market their saddles based on how flexible you are. The Arione is for very flexible people, and that definitely describes me and works for me.

​​​​​​Somewhere on the Fizik Web site they talk about which saddle fits which level of body flexibility. You might want to check it out.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 06-07-23, 10:02 PM
MagnaRota

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'm heavy and I bought the traditionally shaped saddle with springs from Walmart, the Selle Royal "Gipsy" seat. Works great. I would recommend something with good springs in it not so much for you but to protect the bike; being almost all of the weight is the rider, damage to the bike parts will be caused not by the terrain against the bike but by the bike against the rider.