Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

New (to me) frontloader cargo trike

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 04-21-22, 01:29 PM
sebcast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Hi!

I just picked up this cargo trike. It doesn't have any branding. Does anyone know anything about it?
I bought it because I had been on the lookout for a cargo bike and I got this for just $300.

When I was riding it home, I noticed that the front brakes were not very well synced up, so when I was braking with the front brakes the bike would swerve to the left. Any tricks to get both brakes to synch up, or is it just a matter of small tweaks until I get them right? I will add a disc brake to the rear wheel, and probably do an electric conversion later. It is quite heavy!
Old 05-01-22, 08:31 AM
hbsyncro

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Cool bike and $300! Unreal. That is a bakfiets and are very popular in The Netherlands. It translates to box bike and is used for hauling all kinds of stuff including kids. Many of them have removable bench seating and little seatbelts. The upside down "u" are for a rain canopy. Very cool find. When my kids were little I looked and looked for a used one, but they were always $2000 so I settled for a trailer.
Likes For hbsyncro:
Old 05-10-22, 08:09 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Frame looks like this electrified cargo bike from Walmart. Probably some unknown brand out of China. Not a Bakfiets since they have a different frame design.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-E...ycle/371872054
I think $300 is a great deal. At this price you can always upgrade to better components. As for brakes I would just fiddle with them. Mechanical rim brakes are not difficult to adjust.
Old 05-25-22, 12:22 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
How do you steer that thing?
Old 05-25-22, 12:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
How do you steer that thing?
Looks like the whole front end is on a pivot. Note the things that look like grips at the rear underside of the box, that limit the range it can turn.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-14-22, 02:33 PM
sebcast

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Looks like the whole front end is on a pivot. Note the things that look like grips at the rear underside of the box, that limit the range it can turn.
Exactly. It takes some getting used to, but not too hard.

I posted this same question on r*ddit and ended up meeting the representative from bunch bikes who gave me some advice re: the brakes. TL;DR: dual hydraulic disc brakes in the front eliminate the steering issue.

Last edited by sebcast; 06-14-22 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For sebcast:
Old 06-21-22, 08:52 AM
amitzinman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Congrats!
I would definitely take it to a store so that someone can take a look at it, but for sure Trikes can be difficult to figure out, it might take you a while to get used to.